Re: weight loss

Sam

Guest
Much higher? The recommendation for protein for endurance athletes is in
the 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body weight while the recommendation for
sprint/power athletes is 1.6 to 2.0 g per kg body weight (depending on who
one reads).

You do realize that an all out 100m expends a lot of muscle glycogen, right?
200m and 400m even more.

"JS2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Black Metal Martha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Frankly, I don't see how anyone can do low carb and even think they're
>> going to be a decent runner. It's the carbs.

> Depends on the distance you run. Sprinters need a much higher protein
> content than marathoners, though they too need more carbs than what
> Atkins is pushing.

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Much higher? The recommendation for protein for endurance athletes is in
> the 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body weight while the recommendation for
> sprint/power athletes is 1.6 to 2.0 g per kg body weight (depending on who
> one reads).

Actually I didn't realize the protein recommendation for endurance
was that high. Clearly I was mistaken in saying much.

> You do realize that an all out 100m expends a lot of muscle glycogen,
> right? 200m and 400m even more.

Of course. Your point being?

-JS2

Sam wrote:

> Much higher? The recommendation for protein for endurance athletes is in
> the 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body weight while the recommendation for
> sprint/power athletes is 1.6 to 2.0 g per kg body weight (depending on who
> one reads).

Sam, this is slightly less protein than what you were saying about a
year ago. Have things changed at all? Also, as you mentioned below, is
there new research to support or disprove the claims that endurance
athletes' protein requirements could be higher than the requirements
for sprint athletes?

--
Phil M.

>Much higher? The recommendation for protein for endurance athletes is in
>the 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body weight while the recommendation for
>sprint/power athletes is 1.6 to 2.0 g per kg body weight (depending on who
>one reads).

I've also heard that too much protein stresses the kidneys and
exacerbates dehydration in endurance athletes.

"rick++" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Much higher? The recommendation for protein for endurance athletes
> >is in
>>the 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body weight while the recommendation for
>>sprint/power athletes is 1.6 to 2.0 g per kg body weight (depending on
>>who
>>one reads).

> I've also heard that too much protein stresses the kidneys and
> exacerbates dehydration in endurance athletes.

Way to vague Rick. To over simplify you need to take in a balanced diet
during an endurance run, so all three are ideally needed.

One of the reasons I like SUCCEED!Clip is because it has all three plus
170 MG of sodium. Pam, I think you should look at this as liquid food.
It's a maltodextrin base but does have some sucrose.

-Doug

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "rick++" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> >Much higher? The recommendation for protein for endurance athletes is
>> >in
>>>the 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body weight while the recommendation for
>>>sprint/power athletes is 1.6 to 2.0 g per kg body weight (depending on
>>>who
>>>one reads).

>> I've also heard that too much protein stresses the kidneys and
>> exacerbates dehydration in endurance athletes.

> Way to vague Rick. To over simplify you need to take in a balanced diet
> during an endurance run, so all three are ideally needed.
>
> One of the reasons I like SUCCEED!Clip is because it has all three plus
> 170 MG of sodium. Pam, I think you should look at this as liquid food.
> It's a maltodextrin base but does have some sucrose.

what a DF thing to say!

> -Doug

Again, there are lots of recommendations out there. I usually recommend
about 1.5 g/kg to make it easy.

I pulled those numbers from www.gssiweb.com.

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sam wrote:
>
>> Much higher? The recommendation for protein for endurance athletes is in
>> the 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body weight while the recommendation for
>> sprint/power athletes is 1.6 to 2.0 g per kg body weight (depending on
>> who
>> one reads).

> Sam, this is slightly less protein than what you were saying about a
> year ago. Have things changed at all? Also, as you mentioned below, is
> there new research to support or disprove the claims that endurance
> athletes' protein requirements could be higher than the requirements
> for sprint athletes?
>
>>From http://tinyurl.com/9nrq3

>> I would also say that the research shows that the protein needs
>> of endurance athletes can be quite high and some even argue
>> higher than those of sprint/power athletes (at least relative
>> to body mass). Increased protein intake is important especially
>> during the early part of a large training block where catabolic
>> issues are often at the highest. The recommendations for endurance
>> athletes on a daily intake for protein is 1.2 to 1.8 g/kg body weight.

> --
> Phil M.

"rick++" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Much higher? The recommendation for protein for endurance athletes is in
>>the 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body weight while the recommendation for
>>sprint/power athletes is 1.6 to 2.0 g per kg body weight (depending on who
>>one reads).

> I've also heard that too much protein stresses the kidneys and
> exacerbates dehydration in endurance athletes.

These are usually very large amounts and often the kidney issue usually pops
up when a person already has kidney diseases.

>Wouldn't just drinking more water reduce the risk of kidney damage?

Possibly, but its not that simple.
One study on Ibuprofin published year, said that drug's
association with kidney damage may be because the
drug depressed the brains thirst center, theyby causing dehrydration,
which in turn streses the kidney.
Another complication is "water posioning" which has gotten
a lot of press lately due to some marathon deaths, but I dont
think is a major problem. A few people overdrink, particularly
in marathon-length races where there are water tables every
couple of miles.

Theres so many of these so-called medical studies, which
often contradict each other, so youhave to consider them lightly.