New to weight training

Ryan33

Guest
Hi everyone,
I just joined the group because I desperately need to get serious
about fat-loss and muscle growth.

My goals are primarily to lose fat, and the muscle growth is a
secondary target. I've been restricting my diet to about 1400 cal daily
split up into 3 meals and 2 snacks, and cardio 5 days a week, weight 4.
I do 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer before my weight training. I
am doing high intensity cardio, and have thus seen no effect on my
fatigue during my weight sessions, but I was wondering if my cardio
sessions before my weight session would hinder the "after-burn" effect
of the weight training. Since aerobic activity and anaerobic activity
use nutrients in different ways, could this affect the efficacy of
either session?

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S.
I was also wondering if anyone could suggest some good books to look
into, I recently ordered the Men's Health Book of Muscle, but was
wondering if there was anything else out there that would be helpful to
me as a COMPLETE beginner.

Ryan33 wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I just joined the group because I desperately need to get serious
> about fat-loss and muscle growth.

Good. Start reading through these web sites.
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html
http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/beginner.html

Search for old post on common questions here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights

> My goals are primarily to lose fat, and the muscle growth is a
> secondary target. I've been restricting my diet to about 1400 cal daily
> split up into 3 meals and 2 snacks, and cardio 5 days a week, weight 4.
> I do 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer before my weight training. I
> am doing high intensity cardio, and have thus seen no effect on my
> fatigue during my weight sessions, but I was wondering if my cardio
> sessions before my weight session would hinder the "after-burn" effect
> of the weight training. Since aerobic activity and anaerobic activity
> use nutrients in different ways, could this affect the efficacy of
> either session?

Do the cardio AFTER lifting or on another day.

VeryFastRunner knee-jerked & wrote:
> Ryan33 wrote:

>> Hi everyone,
>> I just joined the group because I desperately need to get serious
>> about fat-loss and muscle growth.
>>
>> My goals are primarily to lose fat, and the muscle growth is a
>> secondary target. I've been restricting my diet to about 1400 cal daily
>> split up into 3 meals and 2 snacks, and cardio 5 days a week, weight 4.

> Then take up running. Weights are not the best way to lose weight,
> long, slow runs are.

Weight lifting helps to maintain muscle while losing weight.

Ryan,
I agree with Jeff that I have not seen good results when doing cardio
before weightlifting. It ruins my intensity on the weights. If you
want to do both on the same day, a good approach would be a five minute
cardio warmup then weights then finish the cardio. I generally like to
do them separate since I like to drink a smoothie directly after my
weight workout. Drink as much water as you can during the workout. I
like to get a drink after every set, it also sets me in a rhythmn so
that I don't rush my sets. Let me know if you have any additional
questions.

James

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ryan33" <[email protected]> writes:
> Hi everyone,
> I just joined the group because I desperately need to get serious
> about fat-loss and muscle growth.
>
> My goals are primarily to lose fat, and the muscle growth is a
> secondary target.

Similar to my goals.

> I've been restricting my diet to about 1400 cal daily
> split up into 3 meals and 2 snacks,

I haven't bothered with calculating calories. I've just been wingin'
it ;). I was maintaining weight before I started working out. So I
pretty-much maintained the same nutritional intake, adjusted slightly
to drop some carbs and add more protein. It seems to be working.
I'm dropping 1/2 to 1 lb. per week, on average.

> and cardio 5 days a week, weight 4.

I would assume your weight training is a split routine, then?

> I do 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer before my weight training.

I do the weight training first, then the cardio.

> am doing high intensity cardio, and have thus seen no effect on my
> fatigue during my weight sessions,

Then you're not pushing yourself very hard on the weights.

> but I was wondering if my cardio
> sessions before my weight session would hinder the "after-burn" effect
> of the weight training.

What is "after-burn?"

> Since aerobic activity and anaerobic activity
> use nutrients in different ways, could this affect the efficacy of
> either session?

[snip]

Actually, they use different sources of energy: Aerobic exercise
mostly burns fat, anaerobic exercise mainly burns carbs. (Simplistic
explanation.)

You might consider switching the aerobic/cardio work and the weight
training, and put a bit more effort into the latter. Muscles burn
fat and more muscle means a higher metabolism. I do only 30 minutes
of cardio, three times a week, with one session being HIIT. Yet my
metabolism is now so high I actually lose weight if I skip a
workout. Last week I missed all three due to scheduling conflicts.
I *still* dropped a half-pound or so. Oh, and I recently discovered
can now down an astonishing amount of beer w/o getting more than a
mild buzz ;).

Depending on time constraints and ambition level atm, I do 45m to
1-1/2 hours of weight training, three times a week. Whole-body
work-outs. I usually push hard once a week. I follow weight
training with 30-45m of cardio. HIIT once a week.

--
Jim Seymour | "It is wrong always, everywhere and
WARNING: The "From:" address is a | for everyone to believe anything upon

[email protected] wrote:

> Then take up running. Weights are not the best way to lose weight,
> long, slow runs are.

Troll alert.

I've got a thread going over in alt.support.diet about the problems I've
had losing fat since I cut back on weightlifting and vastly increased my
endurance activities. Body recomposition has slowed to a crawl, and my
appetitie is out of control for crappy carbs.

I was doing much better on a relatively high protein food program with
hardly any cardio and mostly weightlifting in terms of fat loss and body
recomposition.

I'm facing the reality that I may need to cut back on my triathlon
training and add more weightlifting back into my life if I want to lose
more fat.

Dally

> Depending on time constraints and ambition level atm, I do 45m to
> 1-1/2 hours of weight training, three times a week. Whole-body
> work-outs. I usually push hard once a week. I follow weight
> training with 30-45m of cardio. HIIT once a week.

Presumably doing the cardio on the 'in between' days, rather than same as
the weights, would be just as efficient?
tim

In article <[email protected]>,
"tim" <[email protected]> writes:
>> Depending on time constraints and ambition level atm, I do 45m to
>> 1-1/2 hours of weight training, three times a week. Whole-body
>> work-outs. I usually push hard once a week. I follow weight
>> training with 30-45m of cardio. HIIT once a week.

> Presumably doing the cardio on the 'in between' days, rather than same as
> the weights, would be just as efficient?

Presumably. I do it all at once so I'm not going to the club so
much.

Of course: If you really want to work out, do cardio on weight
training days *and* on the days in-between :). Unlike weight
training, it's unnecessary to wait 48-72 hours (for most people)
between sessions.

--

Dally wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Then take up running. Weights are not the best way to lose weight,
>> long, slow runs are.

> Troll alert.
>
> I've got a thread going over in alt.support.diet about the problems
> I've had losing fat since I cut back on weightlifting and vastly
> increased my endurance activities. Body recomposition has slowed to
> a crawl, and my appetitie is out of control for crappy carbs.
>
> I was doing much better on a relatively high protein food program with
> hardly any cardio and mostly weightlifting in terms of fat loss and
> body recomposition.
>
> I'm facing the reality that I may need to cut back on my triathlon
> training and add more weightlifting back into my life if I want to
> lose more fat.
>
> Dally

Bingo. My problem as of late is I started running almost every day after my
weights. Only 30 minutes, but still. And I put on 4 lbs. I think part of
it is I burn the extra 300-400 cal running, but I'm *crazy* hungry and
simply eat that much and more IN ADDITION to what I was eating. I started
using Fitday again this week to see what's up and get a better picture.

Also, Lyle talked about post WO calorie burn months ago. The amount from
cardio was 10-15% in addition to what you burned in the activity. I don't
remember the % for weights, but it was WAY up there. Maybe 100%? I don't
remember, but it was substantial. Add to that the fact the LBM consumes
calories even on off days. If you don't do cardio one day, you're screwed
in the calorie department if you don't cut back your intake.

The other thing I need to do...probably the most important...is to cut back
or eliminate my rum consumption. :) I go through a bottle in a week or 10
days. It's all empty calories.

Hey, speaking of rum, I have a great way to drink it! I keep my rum in the
freezer, along with the glass I use to drink it. The glass only holds about
3oz, so it's great for sipping. But the other day, I filled the glass up
with frozen blueberries instead of ice cubes, then filled it with rum. Wow,
that was good! The blueberries turned the white rum a nice blue and it had
the flavor of the blueberries. And each time I took a sip, I got a few
blueberries to chew with the rum.
--
-Larry

Larry Hodges wrote:

> Hey, speaking of rum, I have a great way to drink it! I keep my rum in the
> freezer, along with the glass I use to drink it. The glass only holds about
> 3oz, so it's great for sipping. But the other day, I filled the glass up
> with frozen blueberries instead of ice cubes, then filled it with rum. Wow,
> that was good! The blueberries turned the white rum a nice blue and it had
> the flavor of the blueberries. And each time I took a sip, I got a few
> blueberries to chew with the rum.

So what you're describing is actually a health food, right?

Works for me.

Dally

I'm all over that ****!

John Hanson wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:46:20 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
> <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> Dally wrote:

>>> Troll alert.
>>>
>>> I've got a thread going over in alt.support.diet about the problems
>>> I've had losing fat since I cut back on weightlifting and vastly
>>> increased my endurance activities. Body recomposition has slowed to
>>> a crawl, and my appetitie is out of control for crappy carbs.
>>>
>>> I was doing much better on a relatively high protein food program
>>> with hardly any cardio and mostly weightlifting in terms of fat
>>> loss and body recomposition.
>>>
>>> I'm facing the reality that I may need to cut back on my triathlon
>>> training and add more weightlifting back into my life if I want to
>>> lose more fat.
>>>
>>> Dally

>> Bingo. My problem as of late is I started running almost every day
>> after my weights. Only 30 minutes, but still. And I put on 4 lbs.
>> I think part of it is I burn the extra 300-400 cal running, but I'm
>> *crazy* hungry and simply eat that much and more IN ADDITION to what
>> I was eating. I started using Fitday again this week to see what's
>> up and get a better picture.
>>
>> Also, Lyle talked about post WO calorie burn months ago. The amount
>> from cardio was 10-15% in addition to what you burned in the
>> activity. I don't remember the % for weights, but it was WAY up
>> there. Maybe 100%? I don't remember, but it was substantial. Add
>> to that the fact the LBM consumes calories even on off days. If you
>> don't do cardio one day, you're screwed in the calorie department if
>> you don't cut back your intake.
>>
>> The other thing I need to do...probably the most important...is to
>> cut back or eliminate my rum consumption. :) I go through a bottle
>> in a week or 10 days. It's all empty calories.
>>
>> Hey, speaking of rum, I have a great way to drink it! I keep my rum
>> in the freezer, along with the glass I use to drink it. The glass
>> only holds about 3oz, so it's great for sipping. But the other day,
>> I filled the glass up with frozen blueberries instead of ice cubes,
>> then filled it with rum. Wow, that was good! The blueberries
>> turned the white rum a nice blue and it had the flavor of the
>> blueberries. And each time I took a sip, I got a few blueberries to
>> chew with the rum.

> I'm all over that ****!

Dude, it's the best way to drink rum. And the buzz you get from rum is a
happy buzz. Don't know how else to explain it. And no hangover.

Another thing I'll do is peel and break apart a couple of oranges, put them
in a jar, pour in the rum, put a cover on it and put it in the fridge for a
day or so. The rum tastes better than any of the flavored rums you pay
double for, and the oranges are great to eat.

Another is to keep real vanilla extract on hand. It's spendy, but much
better than imitation. Just put some of that in your rum on ice. Better
than the vanilla rum you can buy, and a lot cheaper.

The main thing is keep your rum...and vodka for that matter...in the
freezer, along with your glass. I learned the freezer thing from a Russian
immigrant. According to him, most everybody keeps their vodka in the
freezer and they drink it straight.
--
-Larry

DZ wrote:
> Larry Hodges <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The main thing is keep your rum...and vodka for that matter...in the
>> freezer, along with your glass. I learned the freezer thing from a
>> Russian immigrant. According to him, most everybody keeps their
>> vodka in the freezer and they drink it straight.

> S/he's an uneducated slob! :)
>
> Many do that because the ubiquitous cheap Soviet vodka was impossible
> to drink if you actually taste it :) But the traditional Russian and
> Ukrainian way is to drink it by small amounts, warmed to room
> temperature. You can think of it as "spice" - you drink a bit straight
> and than eat.

lol, thanks for the correction. I should've known to ask you. He was my
landlord about two years ago.

But, I still like it in the freezer mixed with fruit. :)
--
-Larry

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:50:53 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
<[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:46:20 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
>> <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>> Bingo. My problem as of late is I started running almost every day
>>> after my weights. Only 30 minutes, but still. And I put on 4 lbs.
>>> I think part of it is I burn the extra 300-400 cal running, but I'm
>>> *crazy* hungry and simply eat that much and more IN ADDITION to what
>>> I was eating. I started using Fitday again this week to see what's
>>> up and get a better picture.
>>>
>>> Also, Lyle talked about post WO calorie burn months ago. The amount
>>> from cardio was 10-15% in addition to what you burned in the
>>> activity. I don't remember the % for weights, but it was WAY up
>>> there. Maybe 100%? I don't remember, but it was substantial. Add
>>> to that the fact the LBM consumes calories even on off days. If you
>>> don't do cardio one day, you're screwed in the calorie department if
>>> you don't cut back your intake.
>>>
>>> The other thing I need to do...probably the most important...is to
>>> cut back or eliminate my rum consumption. :) I go through a bottle
>>> in a week or 10 days. It's all empty calories.
>>>
>>> Hey, speaking of rum, I have a great way to drink it! I keep my rum
>>> in the freezer, along with the glass I use to drink it. The glass
>>> only holds about 3oz, so it's great for sipping. But the other day,
>>> I filled the glass up with frozen blueberries instead of ice cubes,
>>> then filled it with rum. Wow, that was good! The blueberries
>>> turned the white rum a nice blue and it had the flavor of the
>>> blueberries. And each time I took a sip, I got a few blueberries to
>>> chew with the rum.

>> I'm all over that ****!

>Dude, it's the best way to drink rum. And the buzz you get from rum is a
>happy buzz. Don't know how else to explain it. And no hangover.
>
>Another thing I'll do is peel and break apart a couple of oranges, put them
>in a jar, pour in the rum, put a cover on it and put it in the fridge for a
>day or so. The rum tastes better than any of the flavored rums you pay
>double for, and the oranges are great to eat.

I'll have to try that next week. I'm tea totalling it this weekend as
I'm on call.

>Another is to keep real vanilla extract on hand. It's spendy, but much
>better than imitation. Just put some of that in your rum on ice. Better
>than the vanilla rum you can buy, and a lot cheaper.
>
>The main thing is keep your rum...and vodka for that matter...in the
>freezer, along with your glass. I learned the freezer thing from a Russian
>immigrant. According to him, most everybody keeps their vodka in the
>freezer and they drink it straight.

I used to keep booze outside in the winter (ever see slushy 80 proof
before? Now that's cold!) when I was a kid:) I must admit, it
seemed to take the bite out of it.

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:38:29 -0500, John Hanson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:50:53 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
><[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>John Hanson wrote:

>>> I'm all over that ****!

>>Dude, it's the best way to drink rum. And the buzz you get from rum is a
>>happy buzz. Don't know how else to explain it. And no hangover.
>>
>>Another thing I'll do is peel and break apart a couple of oranges, put them
>>in a jar, pour in the rum, put a cover on it and put it in the fridge for a
>>day or so. The rum tastes better than any of the flavored rums you pay
>>double for, and the oranges are great to eat.

>I'll have to try that next week. I'm tea totalling it this weekend as
>I'm on call.

That all sounds very boring JH but the revenue raiser needs to come
first of course!! ;o)

>>Another is to keep real vanilla extract on hand. It's spendy, but much
>>better than imitation. Just put some of that in your rum on ice. Better
>>than the vanilla rum you can buy, and a lot cheaper.
>>
>>The main thing is keep your rum...and vodka for that matter...in the
>>freezer, along with your glass. I learned the freezer thing from a Russian
>>immigrant. According to him, most everybody keeps their vodka in the
>>freezer and they drink it straight.

>I used to keep booze outside in the winter (ever see slushy 80 proof
>before? Now that's cold!) when I was a kid:) I must admit, it
>seemed to take the bite out of it.

That's odd as the "slush" was probably the water content frozen
leaving only the pure alcohol. That should be very 'strong' and
potentially dangerous.

Have a great weekend JH - you know I will!! ;o)

TFIF!!

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:55:36 +0100, Charles <[email protected]> wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:38:29 -0500, John Hanson
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:50:53 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
>><[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>Dude, it's the best way to drink rum. And the buzz you get from rum is a
>>>happy buzz. Don't know how else to explain it. And no hangover.
>>>
>>>Another thing I'll do is peel and break apart a couple of oranges, put them
>>>in a jar, pour in the rum, put a cover on it and put it in the fridge for a
>>>day or so. The rum tastes better than any of the flavored rums you pay
>>>double for, and the oranges are great to eat.

>>I'll have to try that next week. I'm tea totalling it this weekend as
>>I'm on call.

>That all sounds very boring JH but the revenue raiser needs to come
>first of course!! ;o)

It's only boring if I don't get any calls. If I do, then I get paid
to decipher some very complex puzzles...or sometimes I just need to
reboot a PC.

>>>Another is to keep real vanilla extract on hand. It's spendy, but much
>>>better than imitation. Just put some of that in your rum on ice. Better
>>>than the vanilla rum you can buy, and a lot cheaper.
>>>
>>>The main thing is keep your rum...and vodka for that matter...in the
>>>freezer, along with your glass. I learned the freezer thing from a Russian
>>>immigrant. According to him, most everybody keeps their vodka in the
>>>freezer and they drink it straight.

>>I used to keep booze outside in the winter (ever see slushy 80 proof
>>before? Now that's cold!) when I was a kid:) I must admit, it
>>seemed to take the bite out of it.

>That's odd as the "slush" was probably the water content frozen
>leaving only the pure alcohol. That should be very 'strong' and
>potentially dangerous.

Perhaps.

>Have a great weekend JH - you know I will!! ;o)
>
>TFIF!!

Cheers!

Charles wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:38:29 -0500, John Hanson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:50:53 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
>> <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>> Dude, it's the best way to drink rum. And the buzz you get from
>>> rum is a happy buzz. Don't know how else to explain it. And no
>>> hangover.
>>>
>>> Another thing I'll do is peel and break apart a couple of oranges,
>>> put them in a jar, pour in the rum, put a cover on it and put it in
>>> the fridge for a day or so. The rum tastes better than any of the
>>> flavored rums you pay double for, and the oranges are great to eat.

>> I'll have to try that next week. I'm tea totalling it this weekend
>> as I'm on call.

> That all sounds very boring JH but the revenue raiser needs to come
> first of course!! ;o)
>

>>> Another is to keep real vanilla extract on hand. It's spendy, but
>>> much better than imitation. Just put some of that in your rum on
>>> ice. Better than the vanilla rum you can buy, and a lot cheaper.
>>>
>>> The main thing is keep your rum...and vodka for that matter...in the
>>> freezer, along with your glass. I learned the freezer thing from a
>>> Russian immigrant. According to him, most everybody keeps their
>>> vodka in the freezer and they drink it straight.

>> I used to keep booze outside in the winter (ever see slushy 80 proof
>> before? Now that's cold!) when I was a kid:) I must admit, it
>> seemed to take the bite out of it.

> That's odd as the "slush" was probably the water content frozen
> leaving only the pure alcohol. That should be very 'strong' and
> potentially dangerous.

From the freezer, it is simply a bit syrupy. And *very* tasty.
--
-Larry

On 10 Jun 2005 17:49:34 GMT, DZ
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Charles <[email protected]> wrote:
>> John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>I used to keep booze outside in the winter (ever see slushy 80 proof
>>>before? Now that's cold!) when I was a kid:) I must admit, it
>>>seemed to take the bite out of it.

>> That's odd as the "slush" was probably the water content frozen
>> leaving only the pure alcohol. That should be very 'strong' and
>> potentially dangerous.

>It's an old Siberian way of fortifying the home-made booze. Go outside
>in the winter and slowly pour the booze along the long crow
>bar. Collect the liquid dripping from the other end. Enjoy and don't
>forget to go inside before you start drinking.

Drinking *inside* in Siberia is not my idea of fun, let alone drinking
*outside*!! ;o)

Your crowbar method is a way to produce a higher % of alcohol without
distillation. Problem is that it *can* be dangerous if you use this
method to 'distillate' your own fermented produce (home brew), as I
believe wood alcohol could be the eventual product, which can cause
blindness and death.

All my 'falling over liquid' comes through my wine merchant who
supplies only the very best. I have often been blurred and wobbly but
have never gone blind or died (yet)!! ;o)

Cheers and have a great weekend - you know I will!! ;o)

TFIF!!

Have one on me Larry - cheers!! ;o)

HAGW

TFIF!!