Trails around Rockingham WA?

DD

Guest
Peter S wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just bought my first mountain bike. Any WA people know of any novice mtb
> trails around Rockingham? I'm hopeful I'll get my regular road group ride
> tomorrow morning first but the forecast is for such bad weather that I won't
> be surprised if nobody turns up!
>
> Peter S
> skypete(remove_this_bit)@iinet.net.au

There was some thread on this recently however I might add that if you
live in Rocko do yourself a favour and get some of the CALM maps for the
Jarahdale area and plan a few rides around there. Starting from the
SouthWest Highway between Jarrahdale Rd and Whitby Falls there is a
heritage trail that eventually follows the current rail line and heads
into Jarahdale. Or take Scrivener Rd or the Serpentine National Park as
an entry point from the Highway. From there you have trail heaven plus
the Bibbulum Trail (unless Alcoa has moved it again), Scarp Rd and even
trails following the Serpentine River away from the dam into the back of
beyond.
Make sure that your bike has good brakes and gears, this is interesting
gravelly terrain to explore. At this time of year a run down then trying
to get back up Mud Hill is always fun (and possibly futile).
Yes there are trails around Pt Peron, Cooloongup, Kwinana, Postans, the
aeolian ridge that goes from Alfred Cove to near Mandurah, but these are
light trails, sand mostly and 4WD tracks.
Besides this time of year the flies aren't so bad up the scarp near
Jarahdale, most people can't pedal faster than the flies up a steep hill
in the summer heat.

If you really want a challenge there is that sandy track along the rail
line south of Kwinana, the one that runs past the pig farm. Pedal but
don't breathe in, but for how long can you do that?

Hi all

Just bought my first mountain bike. Any WA people know of any novice mtb
trails around Rockingham? I'm hopeful I'll get my regular road group ride
tomorrow morning first but the forecast is for such bad weather that I won't
be surprised if nobody turns up!

Peter S
skypete(remove_this_bit)@iinet.net.au

"DD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter S wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Just bought my first mountain bike. Any WA people know of any novice mtb
>> trails around Rockingham? I'm hopeful I'll get my regular road group ride
>> tomorrow morning first but the forecast is for such bad weather that I
>> won't be surprised if nobody turns up!
>>
>> Peter S
>> skypete(remove_this_bit)@iinet.net.au

> There was some thread on this recently however I might add that if you
> live in Rocko do yourself a favour and get some of the CALM maps for the
> Jarahdale area and plan a few rides around there. Starting from the
> SouthWest Highway between Jarrahdale Rd and Whitby Falls there is a
> heritage trail that eventually follows the current rail line and heads
> into Jarahdale. Or take Scrivener Rd or the Serpentine National Park as an
> entry point from the Highway. From there you have trail heaven plus the
> Bibbulum Trail (unless Alcoa has moved it again), Scarp Rd and even trails
> following the Serpentine River away from the dam into the back of beyond.
> Make sure that your bike has good brakes and gears, this is interesting
> gravelly terrain to explore. At this time of year a run down then trying
> to get back up Mud Hill is always fun (and possibly futile).
> Yes there are trails around Pt Peron, Cooloongup, Kwinana, Postans, the
> aeolian ridge that goes from Alfred Cove to near Mandurah, but these are
> light trails, sand mostly and 4WD tracks.
> Besides this time of year the flies aren't so bad up the scarp near
> Jarahdale, most people can't pedal faster than the flies up a steep hill
> in the summer heat.
>
> If you really want a challenge there is that sandy track along the rail
> line south of Kwinana, the one that runs past the pig farm. Pedal but
> don't breathe in, but for how long can you do that?

Thanks DD that's exactly the info I was looking for! Cheers!

Peter S