OT: Onion article

In article <[email protected]>,
Luna <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Kevin Stevens <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > http://www.theonion.com/opinion/index.php?issue=4124

> From the header, I thought this was going to be an article about onions.

Nah, that wouldn't have been OT!

If you want a (somewhat) more relevant onion comment, I noticed about
ten years ago that I had suddenly become much more sensitive to the
smell/taste of onion. Not that I found it more or less distasteful
(onions are ok, in their place), but it just takes MUCH less onion to be
overpowering to me. I don't notice the same effect from anything else;
garlic, for example, is exactly the same potency as it ever was.

Not associated with any particular age, ailment, or any other obvious
correlation. A bit disconcerting at the time, because sudden changes
like that can by symptoms of fairly serious medical conditions (like,
say, brain tumors) - but I'm still here a decade later and scooping
onions out of my pho industriously. (shrug)

KeS

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:08:57 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:

>So how do people continue to stuff themselves after they're no longer
>hungry? I'm genuinely curious since I've never been overweight. I hate
>that overstuffed feeling and can't imagine continuing to eat without making
>myself sick.

Some people don't seem to have an 'I'm full' switch at all. I know a
lot of people here comment that until they dumped the refined carbs
and founded their eating on proteins and healthy low-carb veggies they
never did feel satiated. They might have pain in their bellies from
the sheer amount of food there, but they don't feel 'full'. Not
satisfied at all on carbs.

In my case, I have been on strict diets since I was 10 years old and
became obese while on a course of powerful corticosteroid drugs
prescribed as a last resort for an autoimmune condition. By the time
I discovered LC in my mid-thirties I'd been restricting my eating and
ignoring my body signals for more (better quality) food for so long
I'd forgotten what 'satisfied' felt like.

Aramanth

"Aramanth Dawe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some people don't seem to have an 'I'm full' switch at all. I know a
> lot of people here comment that until they dumped the refined carbs
> and founded their eating on proteins and healthy low-carb veggies they
> never did feel satiated. They might have pain in their bellies from
> the sheer amount of food there, but they don't feel 'full'. Not
> satisfied at all on carbs.

This is an excellent description of the first 47 years of my life...

--
Sherry
360/?/195

So if you know that the pain in the belly is from overeating, wouldn't that
tell you to stop? I mean, do you continue to have rumbling hunger pangs?
Again, I'm just trying to understand this since I've never experienced it.

on Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:19:10 +0930, Aramanth Dawe <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Some people don't seem to have an 'I'm full' switch at all. I know a
>lot of people here comment that until they dumped the refined carbs
>and founded their eating on proteins and healthy low-carb veggies they
>never did feel satiated. They might have pain in their bellies from
>the sheer amount of food there, but they don't feel 'full'. Not
>satisfied at all on carbs.

-----
Bev

Bev-Ann wrote:

> So how do people continue to stuff themselves after they're no longer
> hungry? I'm genuinely curious since I've never been overweight. I hate
> that overstuffed feeling and can't imagine continuing to eat without making
> myself sick.

Speaking for myself, I used to eat fast - no more
than 5-10 minutes for an entire meal. The brain
didn't get the message before the stomach was
stuffed. Also, when we were growing up, we didn't
have the luxury of much food, so when we did get
it, it was eat while you can. It was mostly
starches, too, because they were cheap.

Marsha/Ohio

I've never met anyone who eats slower than I do, so maybe there's something
to that.
I grew up with a lot of food, but like you, it was mostly starches since we
were a large family with only one parent bringing in an income. Mom stayed
home to look after 6 kids. And Dad was raised on a farm so he insisted on
almost every meal being meat and potatoes with a small side of veggies and
bread. :)

on Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:35:09 -0400, Marsha <[email protected]> wrote:

>Speaking for myself, I used to eat fast - no more
>than 5-10 minutes for an entire meal. The brain
>didn't get the message before the stomach was
>stuffed. Also, when we were growing up, we didn't
>have the luxury of much food, so when we did get
>it, it was eat while you can. It was mostly
>starches, too, because they were cheap.

-----
Bev

Oh, and I forgot that we ALWAYS had something sweet like pudding for
dessert after dinner.

on Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:51:26 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:

>I grew up with a lot of food, but like you, it was mostly starches since we
>were a large family with only one parent bringing in an income. Mom stayed
>home to look after 6 kids. And Dad was raised on a farm so he insisted on
>almost every meal being meat and potatoes with a small side of veggies and
>bread. :)

-----
Bev

"Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So if you know that the pain in the belly is from overeating, wouldn't
> that
> tell you to stop? I mean, do you continue to have rumbling hunger pangs?
> Again, I'm just trying to understand this since I've never experienced it.

The pain in the belly happens after you have way over eaten.. for instance
Thankgiving i would eat so much I could not move but I did not feel that way
til after the meal was over and pie was eaten.. by the time I was 16 or so I
realized I could get by on NOT eating like that at thanksgiving ;) I dont
always feel full.. I find the trick to be to stop eating when I am no longer
hungry..

Tori

--
Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
stand right here"

> "Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> So if you know that the pain in the belly is from overeating, wouldn't
>> that
>> tell you to stop? I mean, do you continue to have rumbling hunger pangs?

What pain? And yes, your belly still rumbles - probably from gas, but it
feels the same as a hunger rumble! I NEVER felt full until I got my thyroid
sorted. Now it amazes me when I feel full - but it doesn't often happen. The
eating until satiated bit doesn't work for me either, because I can eat too
little and be hungry half an hour later (and then get problems from a liver
dump because of diabetes). Monitoring calories and carbs and mechanically
working out what I should be eating seems to be the only way to go for me.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/4.5/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:08:57 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:

>So how do people continue to stuff themselves after they're no longer
>hungry? I'm genuinely curious since I've never been overweight. I hate
>that overstuffed feeling and can't imagine continuing to eat without making
>myself sick.
>
>on Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:31:16 -0700, Kevin Stevens
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>http://www.theonion.com/opinion/index.php?issue=4124

>Bev

In case people aren't aware, THE ONION deals in satire, not news. If
you don't believe that, go from the referenced page to the Front page
and see the other stories, such as "Enchanted By Own Innocence,
Michael Jackson Molests Self" or "Secret Service Not Sure If That Suit
Of Armor Was In Oval Office Yesterday."

Basically, yes. You still feel growling-belly-hungry EVEN though
you're also feeling painfully stuffed.

Aramanth

Bev-Ann wrote:

> So how do people continue to stuff themselves after they're no longer
> hungry? I'm genuinely curious since I've never been overweight.

No longer hungry and stuffed are not the same thing by a
large stretch. If I eat X food to stop being hungry it
probably takes 3X food to become stuffed.

> I hate
> that overstuffed feeling and can't imagine continuing to eat without making
> myself sick.

One more reason people continue to eat - Addictive
reactions. People do have addictive reactions to certain
foods, including some folks who claim that they do not
but who have binge problems.