Website with an LC food list???

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Guest
I could easily type one up myself, but a published list might have
things on it I'd not thought of.

I'm trying to help the son of a very close friend. This kid is 12 years
old, about 5' 2" and weighs 150 lbs. I suspect, based on talking to him
about food, that he has somewhat of a sugar and carb addiction.

He knows he has a problem and is interested in trying low carb. I've
already convinced his step-mom to keep non-diet sodas away from him.
Just stop buying them for the summer while he is there. He was consuming
at least 6 cans per day. :-(

She is switching him over to sun tea instead, either straight or
sweetened with Splenda.

As soon as I finish paying this month's bills, I'll see what I have to
spare and go get a load of LC groceries for them. This is a poor family
that lives on maybe $800.00 per month if they are lucky... so I help
them wherever I can!

Anyhoo, if anyone knows of some pre-written lists on a website that I
can just copy and print, I'd appreciate it!

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jeri" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I could easily type one up myself, but a published list might have
> > things on it I'd not thought of.

> <snip>
>
> Here are a couple of lists from the Atkins website including acceptable
> induction foods and foods to add back during ongoing weightloss.
>
> http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html
> http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-61563.html

These are good, thanks! :)
He wants to be told what he should and should not eat as I don't think
he really understands what carbs and sugars are... as opposed to fats
and proteins. His Stepmom is learning, but it still takes time and
education. I've only got the rest of the summer to help him understand
the concept.

He's a great kid, and is really beginning to be bothered about being
obese! His dad does not seem to mind my trying to help either, and I had
a looooong discussion about this with Lynn when I was over at her
trailer the other day.

Her sister in law was there and backed me up on everything I said. <G>
Our biggest worry is that, with his sweet tooth, he might end up with
juvenile diabetes.

If I can get back on somewhat of a normal work schedule and a regular
routine at the gym, I've invited him to come and work out with me. I'll
pay his gym membership since the gym I go to is not expensive.

No contracts, no initiation fee. Just a flat rate for daily, monthly or
3, 6 and 12 month memberships.

I pay $44.00 for three months. Men are a bit higher since they are
harder on the equipment.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
:> In article <[email protected]>,
:> "Jeri" <[email protected]> wrote:
:>
:> > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
:> > > I could easily type one up myself, but a published list might
:> > > have
:> > > things on it I'd not thought of.
:> > <snip>
:> >
[...]

Are you a guy, Om? I've assumed you were all this time....

:> --
:> Om.
:>
:> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****."
:> -Jack Nicholson

Of course school is out in most areas now but I would suggest to the
mother to take the kid off of school lunches this coming fall if he
eats them. I took my daughter off them when she gained 5 pounds and she
promptly lost the weight she gained. She would much rather eat
pepperoni slices with cream cheese squirted into them and folded,
celery and carrot sticks, smoked turkey deli slices than a chicken
sandwich or corn dog. Cheetos have been outlawed. She does eat one
ready made waffle for breakfast but she is relatively low carb and
loves salads, raw spinach leaves, broccoli and cauliflower steamed and
served with a dab of Miracle Whip for dipping. She has an occassional
1/2 bagel with cream cheese on it, a bit of juice, and mac and cheese
on occasion but generaly eats meat and veggies for dinner. It sure
hasnt hurt her at all.
The boy needs exercise! I have put my daughter in a 2 week summer camp
program once a month the last 2 summer. A new one runs every 2 weeks
but we camp also so she gets one each month. She is on a field trip 4
of the 5 days and keeps busy and exercises through the summer.
We have taken on family exercise too with bike riding, walking, hiking,
and her Daddy swims with her because I wont be caught dead in swimming
attire LOL
Laureen
410/295/180

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> I could easily type one up myself, but a published list might have
> things on it I'd not thought of.
>
> I'm trying to help the son of a very close friend. This kid is 12 years
> old, about 5' 2" and weighs 150 lbs. I suspect, based on talking to him
> about food, that he has somewhat of a sugar and carb addiction.
>
> He knows he has a problem and is interested in trying low carb. I've
> already convinced his step-mom to keep non-diet sodas away from him.
> Just stop buying them for the summer while he is there. He was consuming
> at least 6 cans per day. :-(
>
> She is switching him over to sun tea instead, either straight or
> sweetened with Splenda.
>
> As soon as I finish paying this month's bills, I'll see what I have to
> spare and go get a load of LC groceries for them. This is a poor family
> that lives on maybe $800.00 per month if they are lucky... so I help
> them wherever I can!
>
> Anyhoo, if anyone knows of some pre-written lists on a website that I
> can just copy and print, I'd appreciate it!
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Too bad you couldn't be that strict with your own diet and exercise regimen.
I bet your daughter just loves getting advice from such a hypocrite.

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

news:[email protected]...

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Jeri" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I could easily type one up myself, but a published list might have
>>>things on it I'd not thought of.

>><snip>
>>
>>Here are a couple of lists from the Atkins website including acceptable
>>induction foods and foods to add back during ongoing weightloss.
>>
>>http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html
>>http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-61563.html
>>

> These are good, thanks! :)
> He wants to be told what he should and should not eat as I don't think
> he really understands what carbs and sugars are... as opposed to fats
> and proteins. His Stepmom is learning, but it still takes time and
> education. I've only got the rest of the summer to help him understand
> the concept.
>
> He's a great kid, and is really beginning to be bothered about being
> obese! His dad does not seem to mind my trying to help either, and I had
> a looooong discussion about this with Lynn when I was over at her
> trailer the other day.
>
> Her sister in law was there and backed me up on everything I said. <G>
> Our biggest worry is that, with his sweet tooth, he might end up with
> juvenile diabetes.
>
> If I can get back on somewhat of a normal work schedule and a regular
> routine at the gym, I've invited him to come and work out with me. I'll
> pay his gym membership since the gym I go to is not expensive.
>
> No contracts, no initiation fee. Just a flat rate for daily, monthly or
> 3, 6 and 12 month memberships.
>
> I pay $44.00 for three months. Men are a bit higher since they are
> harder on the equipment.

Hi, Om --

As you know, I'm new here (and maybe this has been mentioned before?),
but I just thought I'd throw this in --

It's great that the family seems to be understanding what you're trying
to teach them, but I'd wager your biggest problem will be the school, so
you're right that you only have the summer to "work on this".

I don't know if you have school-age kids, but I have one, and it's a
constant battle. I won't go into all the gory details, but the scariest
one that comes immediately to mind (and is appropriate, I think,
considering the family's limited income) --

Our school has breakfast for the kids, and approximately 2/3 of the
families in this area are on "free lunches", so that's usually all they
get for breakfast. When I called to complain to the school when I saw
Pop Tarts on the breakfast menu, I was told "well, we have to offer
something the kids will EAT!"

I was dumbfounded.

I could go on and on, but I'll spare y'all and only say that this was
five years ago and nothing's changed -- if anything it is worse. And
the kids keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I have even
received phone calls from people who are concerned about my son because
he is NOT overweight?!?!?!

There are some school districts who are taking action and realizing the
error of their ways in accepting the sponsorships of major "food"
manufacturers, but many are not. Like I said, I don't know what the
situation is in your area, but this might be something you'd like to
talk about with him while you have the chance -- the fact that even
though the school is seen as an "authority figure", the bottom line is
still dollars for them.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
> :> In article <[email protected]>,
> :> "Jeri" <[email protected]> wrote:
> :>
> :> > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
> :> > > I could easily type one up myself, but a published list might
> :> > > have
> :> > > things on it I'd not thought of.
> :> > <snip>
> :> >
> :> > Here are a couple of lists from the Atkins website including
> :> > acceptable induction foods and foods to add back during ongoing
> :> > weightloss.
> :> >
> :> > http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html
> :> > http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-61563.html
> :> >
> :> >
> :>
> :> These are good, thanks! :)
> :> He wants to be told what he should and should not eat as I don't
> :> think
> :> he really understands what carbs and sugars are... as opposed to fats
> :> and proteins. His Stepmom is learning, but it still takes time and
> :> education. I've only got the rest of the summer to help him
> :> understand
> :> the concept.
> :>
> :> He's a great kid, and is really beginning to be bothered about being
> :> obese! His dad does not seem to mind my trying to help either, and I
> :> had
> :> a looooong discussion about this with Lynn when I was over at her
> :> trailer the other day.
> :>
> :> Her sister in law was there and backed me up on everything I said.
> :> <G>
> :> Our biggest worry is that, with his sweet tooth, he might end up with
> :> juvenile diabetes.
> :>
> :> If I can get back on somewhat of a normal work schedule and a regular
> :> routine at the gym, I've invited him to come and work out with me.
> :> I'll
> :> pay his gym membership since the gym I go to is not expensive.
> :>
> :> No contracts, no initiation fee. Just a flat rate for daily, monthly
> :> or 3, 6 and 12 month memberships.
> :>
> :> I pay $44.00 for three months. Men are a bit higher since they are
> :> harder on the equipment.
>
> Are you a guy, Om? I've assumed you were all this time....

It's always amused me that when one posts with a "gender neutral" user
ID, most folks assume the poster is male. ;-) I generally just ignore it
when referred to as a "he" and don't bother to correct the misconception.

Lass guessed I was female a couple of weeks ago! I guess you missed that
post. <G>

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Laureen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Of course school is out in most areas now but I would suggest to the
> mother to take the kid off of school lunches this coming fall if he
> eats them. I took my daughter off them when she gained 5 pounds and she
> promptly lost the weight she gained. She would much rather eat
> pepperoni slices with cream cheese squirted into them and folded,
> celery and carrot sticks, smoked turkey deli slices than a chicken
> sandwich or corn dog. Cheetos have been outlawed. She does eat one
> ready made waffle for breakfast but she is relatively low carb and
> loves salads, raw spinach leaves, broccoli and cauliflower steamed and
> served with a dab of Miracle Whip for dipping. She has an occassional
> 1/2 bagel with cream cheese on it, a bit of juice, and mac and cheese
> on occasion but generaly eats meat and veggies for dinner. It sure
> hasnt hurt her at all.

I'll suggest to him that he make his own bag lunches to go to school.
There are some "problems" on the other end with his mom...

This is a woman that stole her other son's medication for pity sakes! He
has some issues, (not the kid I'm trying to help, but his 1/2 brother),
and the doctor had put him on an ADD med. As you know, those are
amphetamines.

His mother was taking the pills instead of giving them to the kid like
she was supposed to!

I'm afraid that when Ben gets back with his mom, he's going to be on his
own! That's why I've got to try to teach him over the next month.

> The boy needs exercise! I have put my daughter in a 2 week summer camp
> program once a month the last 2 summer. A new one runs every 2 weeks
> but we camp also so she gets one each month. She is on a field trip 4
> of the 5 days and keeps busy and exercises through the summer.
> We have taken on family exercise too with bike riding, walking, hiking,
> and her Daddy swims with her because I wont be caught dead in swimming
> attire LOL
> Laureen
> 410/295/180

Yeah, we know.
He's going to have to make a concious effort to try to do this on his
own. I think he has a bicycle at home and I've told him he ought to ride
it for at least 30 minutes per day.

Thanks! :)

--

In article <[email protected]>, Bailey's Girl <.@.>
wrote:

> Hi, Om --
>
> As you know, I'm new here (and maybe this has been mentioned before?),
> but I just thought I'd throw this in --
>
> It's great that the family seems to be understanding what you're trying
> to teach them, but I'd wager your biggest problem will be the school, so
> you're right that you only have the summer to "work on this".

At least the family on THIS end understands!
I'm more concerned as to what is going to happen when he gets home...

> I don't know if you have school-age kids, but I have one, and it's a
> constant battle. I won't go into all the gory details, but the scariest
> one that comes immediately to mind (and is appropriate, I think,
> considering the family's limited income) --

Yeah.
Carbs are cheaper! :-(

> Our school has breakfast for the kids, and approximately 2/3 of the
> families in this area are on "free lunches", so that's usually all they
> get for breakfast. When I called to complain to the school when I saw
> Pop Tarts on the breakfast menu, I was told "well, we have to offer
> something the kids will EAT!"
>
> I was dumbfounded.

They are clueless. Most kids will eat animal protien just fine!

> I could go on and on, but I'll spare y'all and only say that this was
> five years ago and nothing's changed -- if anything it is worse. And
> the kids keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I have even
> received phone calls from people who are concerned about my son because
> he is NOT overweight?!?!?!

<snort>
From WHOM???

> There are some school districts who are taking action and realizing the
> error of their ways in accepting the sponsorships of major "food"
> manufacturers, but many are not. Like I said, I don't know what the
> situation is in your area, but this might be something you'd like to
> talk about with him while you have the chance -- the fact that even
> though the school is seen as an "authority figure", the bottom line is
> still dollars for them.

I will. :)
School meals are an angle I had not even taken into consideration!
I'll ask him about it and see what he says, and what choices he has.

Thanks to all that mentioned this!