electronic-101 for the dutch

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
...cos the Dutch somehow managed to get straight-A's in highschool maths-n-sciences but filed it in the "I'll never use this shite in real life" part of the brain... :rolleyes:

Recently one of the globes blew/broke/she_no_go on my rusty Cateye Daylights

Normally runs (from rechargeable battery that can get me 3.5-4 commute rides, 1 hour each-ish) 6W-6V and brighter 10W-6V Halogens

LBS could only get me a 2.4W-6V globe which seems not as bright but they assured me it will run longer (well it damn well should seeing as how much dimmer the light is!)

My question to you Electrical Engineers out there is, apart from the current 10Watter, what is the ideal/alternative setup i can run and where is the best place to get these wonders?
(i tried Jaycar but they dont do any 6V halogen type things :( )

See? the proppelorheads' presence on aus.bicycle is indeed a good thing. Now, earn your keep and enlighten me :D

fanx in advance

F"in the dark"Dutch

flyingdutch wrote:

> ...cos the Dutch somehow managed to get straight-A's in
> highschool maths-n-sciences but filed it in the "I'll never
> use this shite in real life" part of the brain... :rolleyes:
>
> Recently one of the globes blew/broke/she_no_go on my rusty
> Cateye Daylights
>
> Normally runs (from rechargeable battery that can get me 3.5-4
> commute rides, 1 hour each-ish) 6W-6V and brighter 10W-6V
> Halogens
>
> LBS could only get me a 2.4W-6V globe which seems not as
> bright but they assured me it will run longer (well it damn
> well should seeing as how much dimmer the light is!)
>
> My question to you Electrical Engineers out there is, apart
> from the current 10Watter, what is the ideal/alternative setup
> i can run and where is the best place to get these wonders?
> (i tried Jaycar but they dont do any 6V halogen type things :(
> )
>
> See? the proppelorheads' presence on aus.bicycle is indeed a
> good thing. Now, earn your keep and enlighten me :D

http://www.reflectalite.com/index.html is the ultimate listing
of bicycle-type bulbs. They're in the UK, but you can post
them a personal cheque in Aussie dollars, and they'll post the
goods back. Or you can use PayPal.

John

flyingdutch said:
[...]

Dunno about locally, but does this help:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=8512&storetype=estore&estoreid=409&pagename=

SteveA

flyingdutch said:
well, the numbers seem right on that last option but my current globes are just lil' bayonet fitting (without the bayonets, if your with me...) that sit in a housing inside a screw on lense. not dissimilar to a torch style arrangement

Cateye Daylights '200' something...

You must have the older model Daylights. I've got the same one.
Got mine & spare bulb at Cecil Walker Cycles. :confused:

Bikesoiler said:
FD

From the site John posted you'll need a Part No = GH15 (Push-in, 6V, 1A, 6W)
:)

fanx! would appear the 6Watters i was running were 100lumeon and the ones i got now are 35lumeon!!!

blooody 'ell

flyingdutch wrote:
> ...cos the Dutch somehow managed to get straight-A's in highschool
> maths-n-sciences but filed it in the "I'll never use this shite in real
> life" part of the brain... :rolleyes:
>
> Recently one of the globes blew/broke/she_no_go on my rusty Cateye
> Daylights
>
> Normally runs (from rechargeable battery that can get me 3.5-4 commute
> rides, 1 hour each-ish) 6W-6V and brighter 10W-6V Halogens
>
> LBS could only get me a 2.4W-6V globe which seems not as bright but
> they assured me it will run longer (well it damn well should seeing as
> how much dimmer the light is!)
>
> My question to you Electrical Engineers out there is, apart from the
> current 10Watter, what is the ideal/alternative setup i can run and
> where is the best place to get these wonders?
> (i tried Jaycar but they dont do any 6V halogen type things :( )
>
> See? the proppelorheads' presence on aus.bicycle is indeed a good
> thing. Now, earn your keep and enlighten me :D
>
> fanx in advance
>
> F"in the dark"Dutch

Greetings,
Go get a decent halogen bulb for your local bush camping/outdoors
shop, if it is a decent one, they will have them. Not cheap though. Well
worth having for the better light output, as you know.
Regards,
Ray.

Ray Peace said:
Greetings,
Go get a decent halogen bulb for your local bush camping/outdoors
shop, if it is a decent one, they will have them. Not cheap though. Well
worth having for the better light output, as you know.
Regards,
Ray.

Excellent! any excuse to go window shopping in the CBD's plethora of 'outdoor' shops is a good one! :D

flyingdutch said:
Excellent! any excuse to go window shopping in the CBD's plethora of 'outdoor' shops is a good one! :D
Cecil Walkers have (or at least had) these globes as well as a cabinet full of spares for Cateye lights and computers. Bought some there 6 months or so ago.

slaw said:
Cecil Walkers have (or at least had) these globes as well as a cabinet full of spares for Cateye lights and computers. Bought some there 6 months or so ago.

ha! that's who i bought the lights off originally AND spares, and the latest replacement globe. they were waiting on the 6W-6V ones tho as cateye are slack :(

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:58:32 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>slaw Wrote:
>> Cecil Walkers have (or at least had) these globes as well as a cabinet
>> full of spares for Cateye lights and computers. Bought some there 6
>> months or so ago.

>ha! that's who i bought the lights off originally AND spares, and the
>latest replacement globe. they were waiting on the 6W-6V ones tho as
>cateye are slack :(

Cateye is Pacific Dunlop (Repco). Useless ... utterly
useless ...

Carl Brewer said:
Cateye is Pacific Dunlop (Repco). Useless ... utterly
useless ...

Showing your age there fella! PacDun hasnt existed for a few years now...

you need a new bike to refresh yourself. i can thoroughly recommend it :D

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:21:28 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> Cateye is Pacific Dunlop (Repco). Useless ... utterly
>> useless ...

>Showing your age there fella! PacDun hasnt existed for a few years
>now...

Same group of uninterested, apathetic tossers, different name!

>you need a new bike to refresh yourself. i can thoroughly recommend it

All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Carl Brewer said:
>you need a new bike to refresh yourself. i can thoroughly recommend it[/color]

All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

oooohoohhhooooooohh! c'mon. fess up. 20-questions...

A tip for you dutch, if two bulbs of the same "technology" has different wattages, the one with the higher wattage will "burn" brighter, but also consume more juice from your battery. If no wattage, then multiply the voltage with the ampage, and you have the power.

if this is for the black wonderbike, you should get some black halogens.

the flying dutchman riding at night on his black bike by black light.

aeek said:
if this is for the black wonderbike, you should get some black halogens.

the flying dutchman riding at night on his black bike by black light.

yee gods no! I use the built-like-tank-when-in-commuting-mode-mtb for such adventures.

My 'Company car' (refer other threads. basically got me boss at the time to buy me the bike, lights and assoc. gear...) so to speak. a wonde in the winte rmonths when all thawts of speed go south and all thoughts of safety loom large on front of the not-so-flyin-Nederlander.

then again, black halogens.... nah. no fun dodging fools IF_they_cant_see_you!

flyingdutch said:
ha! that's who i bought the lights off originally AND spares, and the latest replacement globe. they were waiting on the 6W-6V ones tho as cateye are slack :(
Thanks for mozzing me FD! Got on the bike to ride home last night, switched on my light, got a short flash, then nothing. I'd blown MY 6V 6W globe! I use a 4 LED flasher on my helmet and I put the emergency X light on the bars, so I wasn't without light.

I did have a spare pair of globes at home, bought from CW before the last Kona. Price was $25 for 2.

Long time ago, they were a common (and cheaper) Eveready globe, available from McEwens or **** Smiths, but haven't seen them there since.

I run them with 7.2V Lithium Ion batteries so the overvolting gives a much brighter light but a shorter life span. I've got some 6V 10W globes as well, but they melt the dynamo light fitting that I use, if run at > 6V.

Perhaps for commuting I should run them again at 6V - the globes lasted for years. Or get another LED flasher for the handlebars. Save the LI batteries for off-roading.

slaw said:
Thanks for mozzing me FD! Got on the bike to ride home last night, switched on my light, got a short flash, then nothing. I'd blown MY 6V 6W globe! I use a 4 LED flasher on my helmet and I put the emergency X light on the bars, so I wasn't without light.

ha! i just swapped my dud globe for yours and now I'M fine, Jack :D:D:D