OT: Moon Illusion tonight

Daytona

Guest
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,172-1663827,00.html

"A larger-than-life Moon will be the best show on Earth
By Paul Simons

THE Moon will play a spectacular trick tonight: it will appear
extraordinarily large, like a big glowing ball hanging low in the sky.

This is the world’s largest optical illusion, known as the Moon
Illusion and comes from tonight’s full Moon hanging at its lowest
point in the sky than any full Moon since June 1987.

Part of the reason for the low full Moon is because it comes only a
day after the summer solstice, the time of year when the Moon is at
its lowest and Sun at its highest in the sky.

Added to that, this year also coincides near the peak of a 18.6-year
cycle of the Moon as it circles slightly eccentrically around the
Earth — what astronomers called a “lunar standstill”, which means that
the Moon is even lower. "

Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the
wonderful person Daytona <[email protected]> said
>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,172-1663827,00.html
>
>"A larger-than-life Moon will be the best show on Earth
>By Paul Simons

I saw last night's version, and that was already pretty spectacular.
Nice that we have an astronomical phenomenon coinciding with CLEAR SKIES
for once in a lifetime.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <[email protected]> wrote

> >"A larger-than-life Moon will be the best show on Earth
> >By Paul Simons

> I saw last night's version, and that was already pretty spectacular.
> Nice that we have an astronomical phenomenon coinciding with CLEAR

SKIES
> for once in a lifetime.

I was looking at the moon about midnight last night after a late night
spin around the woods on the bike. Can't say as I noticed it being much
different to usual. I'll pay more attention tonight.

Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful person
AndyP <[email protected]> said
>"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> >"A larger-than-life Moon will be the best show on Earth
>> >By Paul Simons

>> I saw last night's version, and that was already pretty spectacular.
>> Nice that we have an astronomical phenomenon coinciding with CLEAR

>SKIES
>> for once in a lifetime.

>I was looking at the moon about midnight last night after a late night
>spin around the woods on the bike. Can't say as I noticed it being much
>different to usual. I'll pay more attention tonight.

Too late in the day - you have to catch it just after it comes up (which
is just after the sun goes down, for a full moon). The whole illusion
relies on the Moon being a) full and b) near the horizon.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"Daytona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,172-1663827,00.html
>
> "A larger-than-life Moon will be the best show on Earth
> By Paul Simons
>
> THE Moon will play a spectacular trick tonight: it will appear
> extraordinarily large, like a big glowing ball hanging low in the sky.
>
> This is the world's largest optical illusion, known as the Moon
> Illusion and comes from tonight's full Moon hanging at its lowest
> point in the sky than any full Moon since June 1987.

Try looking at the moon through your legs, ie turn your back on the moon,
spread your legs then bend over until you can see the moon through your
legs. this upside down view imeadiately converts the moon back to its normal
size. ..interesting stuff... ..its an old trick. and available at evey full
moon rise / set, after all the full moon is just above the horizon at some
point!

Too cloudy here tonight but was spectacular last night!

<snip>
>Too late in the day - you have to catch it just after it comes up

Or, of course, early in the morning as it's setting!!

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <[email protected]> wrote

> Too late in the day - you have to catch it just after it comes up

(which
> is just after the sun goes down, for a full moon). The whole illusion
> relies on the Moon being a) full and b) near the horizon.

Ok, saw it just as it was coming up tonight looking a bit yellow, still
unimpressed. It was full moon last night anyway not tonight.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:19:51 +0100, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Too late in the day - you have to catch it just after it comes up

>(which
>> is just after the sun goes down, for a full moon). The whole illusion
>> relies on the Moon being a) full and b) near the horizon.

>Ok, saw it just as it was coming up tonight looking a bit yellow, still
>unimpressed. It was full moon last night anyway not tonight.

I saw it when I was driving home at 11:30pm-ish and thought it looked
good. I caught sight of it between buildings and I even looked round
for the "proper" moon because it looked so different to normal.

Judith

Judith wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:19:51 +0100, "AndyP"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>Too late in the day - you have to catch it just after it comes up

>>(which
>>
>>>is just after the sun goes down, for a full moon). The whole illusion
>>>relies on the Moon being a) full and b) near the horizon.

>>Ok, saw it just as it was coming up tonight looking a bit yellow, still
>>unimpressed. It was full moon last night anyway not tonight.

> I saw it when I was driving home at 11:30pm-ish and thought it looked
> good. I caught sight of it between buildings and I even looked round
> for the "proper" moon because it looked so different to normal.
>
> Judith

I actually went for a wee walk up the Pentlands to get a decent view,
but it was so low on the horizon that it after 00:30 before it showed
above the line of the hills and I guess it had lost it's apparent volume
by then. Nice night for a walk though - even if I was wearing shorts and
sandals!

druidh

"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Daytona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,172-1663827,00.html
>>
>> "A larger-than-life Moon will be the best show on Earth
>> By Paul Simons
>>
>> THE Moon will play a spectacular trick tonight: it will appear
>> extraordinarily large, like a big glowing ball hanging low in the sky.
>>
>> This is the world's largest optical illusion, known as the Moon
>> Illusion and comes from tonight's full Moon hanging at its lowest
>> point in the sky than any full Moon since June 1987.

> Try looking at the moon through your legs, ie turn your back on the moon,
> spread your legs then bend over until you can see the moon through your
> legs. this upside down view imeadiately converts the moon back to its
> normal
> size. ..interesting stuff... ..its an old trick. and available at evey
> full
> moon rise / set, after all the full moon is just above the horizon at some
> point!
>
> Too cloudy here tonight but was spectacular last night!

I think the illusion must be similar to this:

steam up a bathroom mirror and look in. Notice the size of your head, then
draw around your head in the steam.....you will the size
difference....uncanny!
Julie

In article <[email protected]>, Julie
Meikle said...
> Julie

Julie - I may have asked you this before, but it strikes me that
Meikle isn't a very common name. There was a girl at my school in
Beckenham, Kent called - IIRC - Somerville-Meikle. She'd be around
43-45 now. Any relation?
--
/
Fran O(<|={