TdF - Groupsets - a few questions . . .

Stan Shankman

Guest
Greetings all,

I was wondering: What is the most popular groupset used by tour riders? Also, is this motivated by
manufacture incentives, or rider choice? But most importantly, if the choice were entirely up to the
cyclists, what would be the top pick?

Thanks,
- Stan Shankman

"Stan Shankman" <[email protected]> wondered >
> I was wondering: What is the most popular groupset used by tour riders? Also, is this motivated by
> manufacture incentives, or rider choice? But most importantly, if the choice were entirely up to
> the cyclists, what would be the top pick?

According to http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/tech/articles/4198.0.html it looks like Campy has a
slight edge in popularity in the peleton. Score Campy 12, Shimano 10, if I counted correctly....
Also, IIRC, Lance's 99 win was the first time a Shimano-clad bike had won the tour.

"Brian Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Stan Shankman" <[email protected]> wondered >
> > I was wondering: What is the most popular groupset used by tour riders? Also, is this motivated
> > by manufacture incentives, or rider choice? But most importantly, if the choice were entirely up
> > to the cyclists,
what
> > would be the top pick?
>
> According to http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/tech/articles/4198.0.html it looks like Campy has a
> slight edge in popularity in the peleton. Score Campy 12, Shimano 10, if I counted correctly....
> Also, IIRC, Lance's 99 win was the first time a Shimano-clad bike had won the tour.

FWIW, Shimano wisely places the US market as the most important. Arguably, Americans (some)
follow the Euro-dogs but Shimano seems to go after all of the domestic teams they can get in
their clutches.

Stan-<< I was wondering: What is the most popular groupset used by tour riders? Also, is this
motivated by manufacture incentives, or rider choice? But most importantly, if the choice were
entirely up to the cyclists, what would be the top pick? >><BR><BR>

I'm sure each has his favorite but economics decides what each team uses and a good rider will smile
and say he loves his supplied equipment.

Even after they retire, they use what is provided, many not having to buy anything for a while...

Some teams will allow riders to pick their own saddles, pedals and shoes, but some do not-hence shoe
covers on some really hot stages..

I have talked to more than a few pros and mostly they like what they used most of the time they
raced...Lemond liked Campagnolo, Hampsten likes shimano, etc....

> << FWIW, Shimano wisely places the US market as the most important.
>><BR><BR>
>
> No doubt that shimano's main target is the US followed by Europe where Campagnolo's main target
> market still seems like Europe, then Japan, then
the
> US..I think that many Euro manufacturers still view the US as not really
being
> serious about cycling..except for 'pockets', I think they are right.

The serious riders here mostly use Shimano (see what neutral support provides at NRC races). It's
the Freds that use Campy.