The << BIGGEST >> front hub in the world!!!!!

In article <[email protected]>,
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Steady Rollin' Man" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/jun05/italy05/manuel_qu
> > in
> > ziato

> 1964 Honda RC113 (a 50cc two cylinder, nine speed, cantilever front brake
> race bike):
>
> http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaas/honda_race_history/rc113-1.jpg

That's nuts! I'm a big old motorcycle nut, and I'd never heard that
these little bikes used rim brakes.

I assume they only got away with it because on most courses, the little
bikes hardly used their brakes.

Also, I have to guess that hub is an adaptation of a normal drum-brake
hub.

Wild bike, thanks for sharing.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Steady Rollin' Man" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/jun05/italy05/manuel_
> > > qu
> > > in
> > > ziato

> > 1964 Honda RC113 (a 50cc two cylinder, nine speed, cantilever front brake
> > race bike):
> >
> > http://www.vf750fd.com/Joep_Kortekaas/honda_race_history/rc113-1.jpg

> That's nuts! I'm a big old motorcycle nut, and I'd never heard that
> these little bikes used rim brakes.
>
> I assume they only got away with it because on most courses, the little
> bikes hardly used their brakes.
>
> Also, I have to guess that hub is an adaptation of a normal drum-brake
> hub.
>
> Wild bike, thanks for sharing.

Nah, it's actually just two sheets of aluminum that cover the spokes,
which is about what the hub in the pic the OP linked to appears to be
(except those are in carbon). The hub itself is not too different from a
bicycle hub. That hub/brake arrangement was on the RC113, 114 and 115 in
'63 -'65. The RC115 only weighed 50 kilos, and when you consider the size
of the front tire, a stronger brake might have been a detrimental thing.
You're right about them not being on the brakes much. Those bikes are all
about maintaining corner speed, even more so than the present day 125s
(although they can accelerate fairly well compared to those old 50s, since
they have more than three times the horsepower).

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

> That's nuts! I'm a big old motorcycle nut, and I'd never heard that
> these little bikes used rim brakes.

Don't forget that the latest in concept bikes also have caliper based rim
brakes (albeit with a separate disc the size of the rim).

I'd bet that those rim brakes could have been better than the drums of the
day.

-Andy B.

p.s. Did you used to hang out on the moto racelist or 125 e-mail lists years
ago?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Andy Birko" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > That's nuts! I'm a big old motorcycle nut, and I'd never heard that
> > these little bikes used rim brakes.

> Don't forget that the latest in concept bikes also have caliper based rim
> brakes (albeit with a separate disc the size of the rim).

Yes but...

> I'd bet that those rim brakes could have been better than the drums of the
> day.

Maybe. They look cable-actuated though, and I doubt the leverage would
be great. Moreover, the pad area is not so much.

> -Andy B.
>
> p.s. Did you used to hang out on the moto racelist or 125 e-mail lists years
> ago?

rec.motorcycles, rmr, WetLeather, that sort of thing. Had an FZR400 and
was on that list.

> In article <[email protected]>,
> rec.motorcycles, rmr, WetLeather, that sort of thing. Had an FZR400 and
> was on that list.

I raced an FZR 400 in the WERA north central region in 95&96 and an RS125 in
GLRRA 98&99. Your name looked familiar - I probably read it on rbr or
something.

-Andy B.

In article <[email protected]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Andy Birko" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I'd bet that those rim brakes could have been better than the drums of the
> > day.

> Maybe. They look cable-actuated though, and I doubt the leverage would
> be great. Moreover, the pad area is not so much.

I've seen some fairly good detail shots of these in a book and they look
similar to the inexpensive (non-parallelogram) Shimano V-brakes. And the
pad material was cork, if I remember correctly. By the way, the drums of
that era were pretty large diameter, double leading shoe and, even though
they were made of magnesium, they were relatively heavy. I think the main
reasons for this set up was simple weight savings, less unsprung weight and
(likely more importantly) less rotating mass, so the bikes were more
flickable.