Creak in Giant OCR

Bill Fecht

Guest
When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I think,
my crankset. I have, in this order, ...

- swapped peddles
- retightened cranks
- regreased BB
- tightened saddle
- tightened wheels
- replaced cranks, greasing BB splines

Any other ideas, short of taking the bike to my LBS?

Thanks, Bill

On 26 Jul 2003 14:49:15 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Fecht) may have said:

>When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I think,
>my crankset. I have, in this order, ...
>
>- swapped peddles
>- retightened cranks
>- regreased BB
>- tightened saddle
>- tightened wheels
>- replaced cranks, greasing BB splines
>
>Any other ideas, short of taking the bike to my LBS?

You say that you replaced the cranks; if the crainrings were swapped as well, then I'm out of
suggestions in the crank/BB area.

If the click happens at random places in crank rotation, check for a bent or damaged chain link or
an undertensioned spoke in the rear wheel. (About a year ago, I ran across a guy an a lbs who had
been chasing a click in for several months; he'd finally identified that it was a spoke in the rear
wheel, and he knew which spoke it was, but although the spoke appeared to be a bit loose, taking up
the slack didn't fix the problem. I don't know what the outcome was; they were still puzzling over
it when I left.)

There will probably be better suggestions from others; collect data before starting to troubleshoot.
And remember, in bicycles as in most other things, troubleshooting by substitution is often just a
way to get an expensive education. Look, measure, test, and inspect thoroughly before pulling out
the wrenches.

"Bill Fecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I
> think, my crankset. I have, in this order, ...

As a peddler, you should advertise more... make people aware of what you're selling.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Instead of tightning you better take of and do a new montage with grease.

An other possibility is the derailleurhanger. Take it of grease it ans put it on, but not to tight !

"Bill Fecht" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I
> think, my crankset. I have, in this order, ...
>
> - swapped peddles
> - retightened cranks
> - regreased BB
> - tightened saddle
> - tightened wheels
> - replaced cranks, greasing BB splines
>
> Any other ideas, short of taking the bike to my LBS?
>
> Thanks, Bill

"Bill Fecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I
> think, my crankset. I have, in this order, ...
>
> - swapped peddles
> - retightened cranks
> - regreased BB
> - tightened saddle
> - tightened wheels
> - replaced cranks, greasing BB splines
>
> Any other ideas, short of taking the bike to my LBS?
>
> Thanks, Bill

A creaking sound I was sure was coming from the bottom bracket turned out, after much investigation,
disassembly, greasing and tightening, to be bar/stem.

Bill

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:23:31 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Fecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I
>> think, my crankset. I have, in this order, ...
>
>As a peddler, you should advertise more... make people aware of what you're selling.

Geez, give the guy a brake!

--

Chris Bird

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:25:35 GMT, Chris B. <[email protected]> may have said:

>On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:23:31 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Bill Fecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I
>>> think, my crankset. I have, in this order, ...
>>
>>As a peddler, you should advertise more... make people aware of what you're selling.
>
>Geez, give the guy a brake!

Okay, since you ask, I guess wheel cut him some slack.

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> "Bill Fecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I
> > think, my crankset. I have, in this order, ...
> >
> > - swapped peddles
> > - retightened cranks
> > - regreased BB
> > - tightened saddle
> > - tightened wheels
> > - replaced cranks, greasing BB splines
> >
> > Any other ideas, short of taking the bike to my LBS?
> >
> > Thanks, Bill
>
> A creaking sound I was sure was coming from the bottom bracket turned out, after much
> investigation, disassembly, greasing and tightening, to be bar/stem.
>
> Bill

Isnt it scary how difficult it is to track down noises on a bike. I'm in the middle of the same
thing myself I could swear the noise is coming from the back end but have already checked everything
there. Today I'm changing the front wheel bearings and wouldnt be at all surpised if that sorts it.

Stan Cox

bwf-<< Any other ideas, short of taking the bike to my LBS? >><BR><BR>

Do this, a good bike shop can fix it if they can hear it...it's what they do...

Chris B. <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:23:31 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Bill Fecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I
> >> think, my crankset. I have, in this order, ...
> >
> >As a peddler, you should advertise more... make people aware of what
you're
> >selling.
>
> Geez, give the guy a brake!

Yeah, he didn't want to peddle, he just couldn't stop...........

Shaun aRe - never been caught with his pedants down..........

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:25:35 GMT, Chris B. <csbird1@-nospam-thanks- rogers.com> wrote:
>>> When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's
>> As a peddler, you should advertise more... make people aware of what

> Geez, give the guy a brake!

Pun intended?

--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>, Bill Fecht <[email protected]> wrote:
>When I peddle really hard, mostly standing going up a hill, there's a cracking sound from, I think,
>my crankset. I have, in this order, ...
>
>- swapped peddles
>- retightened cranks
>- regreased BB
>- tightened saddle
>- tightened wheels
>- replaced cranks, greasing BB splines

Try regreasing the seatpost. A friend had an annoying creak from his bike that we tracked down to
the seatpost. There was some rust from the frame on it when we pulled it, and regreasing made the
noise go away.

--
Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069

Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

> A creaking sound I was sure was coming from the bottom bracket turned out, after much
> investigation, disassembly, greasing and tightening, to be bar/stem.

Over the past year I've worked this problem out with my OCR. My OCR at least came with a cheap(er)
handlebar that had a sleeve instead of a butted middle section. If the interface between the sleeve
and the base bar starts clicking (mine did), either throw it away or grin and bear it. At least
that's what I was told, and it made sense to me. Anyway, I put on a new handlebar and that's all
ducky now.

Someone else mentioned the seatpost. That's another region I was getting a lot of clicking, creaking
and other noises from. I took it out, cleaned it, cleaned the seat tube, greased it, and the noises
went away. Repeat as necessary.

I also had clicking issues with my bottom bracket, but that was just a straight replacement.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g

Eleventh Law of Acoustics: In a minimum-phase system there is an inextricable link between frequency
response, phase response and transient response, as they are all merely transforms of one another.
This combined with minimalization of open-loop errors in output amplifiers and correct compensation
for non-linear passive crossover network loading can lead to a significant decrease in system
resolution lost. However, of course, this all means jack when you listen to Pink Floyd.

> Over the past year I've worked this problem out with my OCR. My OCR at
least
> came with a cheap(er) handlebar that had a sleeve instead of a butted
middle
> section. If the interface between the sleeve and the base bar starts
clicking
> (mine did), either throw it away or grin and bear it. At least that's
what I
> was told, and it made sense to me. Anyway, I put on a new handlebar and
that's
> all ducky now.

Just made the same upgrade to the same bike for the same problem works perfect now. Many of the
contact points on that bike come bone dry and must be lubed I asked my shop to do it during the 6
month free tune up period.