Maui rides

Bill Artz

Guest
Heaaaaded out to Mau and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for riding besides Haleakala

Subject: Maui rides From: "Bill Artz" [email protected] Date: 7/27/03

>Heaaaaded out to Mau and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for riding besides Haleakala

1. Get up early-ride Road to Hana. If you time it correctly, you will miss the hoards of tourists
going there. Coming back, they will be approaching you; still, early, it is not bad. Beautiful
ride. If you don't want to do all of RTH, get as far as Keanae Peninsula. About 5,000 feet of
elevation to Keanae and back.

2. Do a metric century around West Maui--simply gorgeous along the NW Coast, but hilly! About 5,000
feet of elevation on this ride as well.

3. Ride to Keokea and have breakfast at Grandma's Coffee House. Look for a "mature" gentleman by the
name of Ray who rides a recumbent. Tell him Michael from Cincinnati says hi!

4. Ride the "wrong" way to Hana from Keokea. Bring plenny water-very desolate-not many cars.

5. Beautiful ride up Olinda Road from Makawao. Steeper than Haleakala in places. Can make a loop by
coming back (?) Road (sorry-forget the name)

6. Don't count out Haleakala Ride. 5-6% grade most of way. Not steep but loooooooong. Beautiful
scenery. If you go in mid August, you could consider registereing for Cycle to the Sun.

Aloha-Michael

Thanks.. I definitely consider your suggestions ..headed out on 8/28. I see that there is a bike
news:[email protected]...