Intestinal Parasite - Chronic Illness

Jan

Guest
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mecfs/general/parasites.html

Intestinal Parasites May Be Responsible for Chronic Illness

The following information comes from various USA sources, resulting from recent
developments in diagnosing and treating intestinal parasites.

Dr Leo Galland, a physician from the USA recently stated "every patient with
disorders of immune function, including multiple allergies (as well as)
patients with unexplained fatigue or with chronic bowel symptoms, should be
evaluated for the presence of intestinal parasites."

Over recent years, according to Dr Galland, the technology for diagnosis and
treatment of intestinal parasites has improved markedly. This fact has helped
to provide evidence for the view that intestinal parasites are responsible for
a higher proportion of chronic illnesses than was previously thought.

Two intestinal parasites are of particular importance. They are Giardia lamblia
and Entamoeba histolytica. It is important to realise that both these organisms
have a cosmopolitan distribution.

G. lamblia can produce symptoms that include nausea, bloating, weight loss,
vomiting, loss of appetite, epigastric pain, abdominal cramps, food
intolerance, chronic fatigue, chemical intolerance, immunological dysfunction,
diarrhoea and others. Irritable bowel syndrome can sometimes actually be caused
by G. lamblia.

E. histolytica can produce diarrhoea, food intolerance, fatigue, dysentry and
other symptoms. Not all patients infected with intestinal parasites display
gastrointestinal problems, but can have other symptoms which improve once their
infection is treated. It has been shown recently that some non-pathogenic
parasites can cause disease in immuno-compromised patients. How relevant this
is to CFS, I am not sure. Ulcerative colitis can sometimes be a mis-diagnosed
E. histolytica infection.

As you can see, many of these symptoms may be confused with those exhibited by
CFS patients. It should be understood that only a proportion of patients
diagnosed with CFS may actually be suffering from intestinal parasites and
improve once their infection is treated. The chronic illness produced by
intestinal parasites may in fact be CFS in some cases; it is just that the
trigger in these cases was an intestinal parasite. In other cases, parasites
may produce illnesses that cannot be classified as CFS.

Dr Galland, who has been involved in some of the pioneering work in this area,
estimates that 20% of patients in the New York area who had been diagnosed as
having CFS, actually had intestinal parasitic infections and improved once
these infections were treated. The figure for Australia is unknown, but would
be interesting. Patients diagnosed with CFS who were actually suffering from
intestinal parasitic infections, tended to have more night sweats, fever, and
muscle aches and pains. These symptoms can sometimes be clues that intestinal
parasites may be present.

According to Dr Galland, current diagnostic techniques have a poor success rate
in picking up these parasites. Newly developed immunofluorescent stains are now
available, and when coupled with specific specimen collection methods,
reportedly provide a much higher rate of detecting these organisms. Some
laboratories in the USA are now using the new techniques.

It has been shown that current prescription drugs are often only effective with
acute infections. Chronic infections can cause severe disability lasting months
or even years, and often need to be treated for a much longer period of time.
Most prescription drugs are too toxic for such long term treatment. Some
doctors in the USA are using non-prescription drugs to treat intestinal
parasites, and these are claimed to be safer than the prescription drugs.

Unfortunately the new diagnostic techniques are only available in the USA and
UK as far as I am aware. One such laboratory claims to have examined over
40,000 specimens over the past 3 years.

If you are interested in more information, your doctor can write to-

Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory, 18A Regent Park Blvd., Asheville, NC
28806, USA.
Please note that the test can ONLY be organised through your doctor.

The lab will send out information and a test kit. The test is called
'comprehensive parasitology' and costs about $US 127.00. Should the results
show positive, your doctor can call the lab to discuss the new treatment
methods on: 0011 1 704 253 0621.

Bernhard Liedtke

[email protected] (Jan) wrote:

>http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mecfs/general/parasites.html

>Two intestinal parasites are of particular importance. They are Giardia lamblia
>and Entamoeba histolytica. It is important to realise that both these organisms
>have a cosmopolitan distribution.

Both are well-known and easy to spot. The "big three" of
parasitology are these two and pinworms. Maybe add Vampirolepis
nana (Hymenolepis nana) nana in some areas.

>>G. lamblia can produce symptoms that include nausea, bloating, weight loss,

>vomiting, loss of appetite, epigastric pain, abdominal cramps, food
>intolerance, chronic fatigue, chemical intolerance, immunological dysfunction,
>diarrhoea and others. Irritable bowel syndrome can sometimes actually be caused
>by G. lamblia.

>E. histolytica can produce diarrhoea, food intolerance, fatigue, dysentry and
>other symptoms.

And anyone with the above-mentioned symptoms would be screened
for intestinal parasites.

>Not all patients infected with intestinal parasites display
>gastrointestinal problems, but can have other symptoms which improve once their
>infection is treated.

So he claims, but he doesn't mention what the symptoms are, or
list any case studies.

>It has been shown recently that some non-pathogenic
>parasites can cause disease in immuno-compromised patients.

Recently? That's been known since the 1970s.

>Ulcerative colitis can sometimes be a mis-diagnosed E. histolytica infection.

Except that the lab results come back with no E. histolytica
found in the stools. It's easy to find, and easy to identify.
It's one of the things to rule out in a differential diagnosis of
any major intestinal dysfunction.

>Dr Galland, who has been involved in some of the pioneering work in this area,
>estimates that 20% of patients in the New York area who had been diagnosed as
>having CFS, actually had intestinal parasitic infections and improved once
>these infections were treated.

How does he ESTIMATE this.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

>Subject: Re: Intestinal Parasite - Chronic Illness
>From: Tsu Dho Nimh [email protected]
>Date: 8/9/2003 6:59 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>[email protected] (Jan) wrote:
>
>>http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mecfs/general/parasites.html

>>Two intestinal parasites are of particular importance. They are Giardia

>lamblia
>>and Entamoeba histolytica. It is important to realise that both these

>organisms
>>have a cosmopolitan distribution.

>Both are well-known and easy to spot. The "big three" of
>parasitology are these two and pinworms. Maybe add Vampirolepis
>nana (Hymenolepis nana) nana in some areas.
>
>>>G. lamblia can produce symptoms that include nausea, bloating, weight loss,

>>vomiting, loss of appetite, epigastric pain, abdominal cramps, food
>>intolerance, chronic fatigue, chemical intolerance, immunological

>dysfunction,
>>diarrhoea and others. Irritable bowel syndrome can sometimes actually be

>caused
>>by G. lamblia.

>>E. histolytica can produce diarrhoea, food intolerance, fatigue, dysentry

>and
>>other symptoms.

>And anyone with the above-mentioned symptoms would be screened
>for intestinal parasites.

Wrong!

<snip>

> It's easy to find, and easy to identify.

Unfortunately, medical testing procedures only catch about 20% of the actual
cases of parasites. There are over a 1,000 species of parasites that can live
in your body; tests are available for only approximately 40 to 50 types. This
means doctors are only testing for about 5% of the parasites and missing 80% of
those. This brings the ability to clinically find parasites down to 1%

Once you've established that you do have parasites, taking drugs to get rid of
them may not always work. This is because a drug will often drive a parasite
from one organ of the body to another.

Parasites Reproduce Quickly

Jan

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in

> Unfortunately, medical testing procedures only catch about 20% of the

actual
> cases of parasites. There are over a 1,000 species of parasites that can

live
> in your body; tests are available for only approximately 40 to 50 types.

This
> means doctors are only testing for about 5% of the parasites and missing

80% of
> those. This brings the ability to clinically find parasites down to 1%
>
> Once you've established that you do have parasites, taking drugs to get

rid of
> them may not always work. This is because a drug will often drive a

parasite
> from one organ of the body to another.

This is typical quack lies and scaremongering, and even Jan is ashamed to
reveal its source.

What is the betting that having fueled hypochondriacal fears of parasites,
the same site will offer a fix for the "problem" for some cash?

I promise to let Jan's next twenty posts pass without comment, no matter
how nonsensical or defamatory, if this is not so.

Peter Moran.

In <[email protected]>, Jan LIED:
>>From: Tsu Dho Nimh [email protected]
>>Date: 8/9/2003 6:59 AM Pacific Standard Time

>>And anyone with the above-mentioned symptoms would be screened
>>for intestinal parasites.

> Wrong!

Another stinker from Jan "I always prove my claims" Drew.

--
| Microsoft: "A reputation for releasing inferior software will make |
| it more difficult for a software vendor to induce customers to pay |

In <[email protected]>, Jan wrote:

> Unfortunately, medical testing procedures only catch about 20% of the actual
> cases of parasites. There are over a 1,000 species of parasites that can live
> in your body; tests are available for only approximately 40 to 50 types. This
> means doctors are only testing for about 5% of the parasites and missing 80% of
> those. This brings the ability to clinically find parasites down to 1%

This is hilarious. The math only works if all species of
parasites are equally common.

Do please tell us, Jan: are all species of parasite equally
common in humans, or is the above another LIE? (Rhetorical
question.)

--

In <[email protected]>, Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

> Probably true ... accidental infections with everything from
> fish tapeworm to chicken mites has beem reported, with the
> numbers ranging from 1 to a few hundred (sushi-eaters are at risk
> for fish tapeworm).

There was even one researcher who transferred feline ear
mites to himself. His description of the results is
/very/ interesting, if creepy.

However, the ear mites died out after a while.
Cause unknown.