Richmond Park - proposal to exclude cyclists from Tamsin Trail

Paul Luton

Guest
I have just received the newsletter of the Friends of Richmond Park which is mainly devoted to an
attack on the shared use of off road tracks in Royal Parks citing the throwing out of proposals for
cycle routes across Hampsted Heath and expressing "dismay" that cycling is now allowed in Kensington
Gardens. The argument makes dishonest selective quotation from CTC , Sustrans and Cyclecraft to damn
the concept of shared use even in a recreational context. Interestingly there is no parallel
proposal to restrict horse riders to the roads. Horse riders are obviously superior beings who enjoy
a wider exclusive track when not allowed unfettered access to the whole park.

We may agree that a cheap and nasty shared footway is unsatisfactory for a strategic cycle route but
for cyclists in west London the Tamsin Trail makes an enjoyable short ride at off peak hours. We
must be ready to defend our right to use it.

Paul Luton

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

"Paul Luton" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have just received the newsletter of the Friends of Richmond Park which is mainly devoted to an
> attack on the shared use of off road tracks in Royal Parks citing the throwing out of proposals
> for cycle routes across Hampsted Heath and expressing "dismay" that cycling is now allowed in
> Kensington Gardens. The argument makes dishonest selective quotation from CTC , Sustrans and
> Cyclecraft to damn the concept of shared use even in a recreational context. Interestingly there
> is no parallel proposal to restrict horse riders to the roads. Horse riders are obviously superior
> beings who enjoy a wider exclusive track when not allowed unfettered
access
> to the whole park.
>
> We may agree that a cheap and nasty shared footway is unsatisfactory for a strategic cycle route
> but for cyclists in west London the Tamsin Trail makes an enjoyable short ride at off peak hours.
> We must be ready to
defend
> our right to use it.
>
> Paul Luton

Your kidding right? Tons of people use it, and I have had no real problems on it. The bicycle hire
shop will be fairly knackered if this comes in. This article was quite interesting though ...
http://tinyurl.com/ibr3

How do you sign up for the FoRP newsletter? I'd be interested in a copy if you can scan it ....

In news:[email protected], Paul Luton <[email protected] > typed:

> We may agree that a cheap and nasty shared footway is unsatisfactory for a strategic cycle route
> but for cyclists in west London the Tamsin Trail makes an enjoyable short ride at off peak hours.
> We must be ready to defend our right to use it.
>
> Paul Luton

Lead me to the barricade!

Twice a week round Wimbledon common and the Park is my main exercise!

pk

"Paul Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In news:[email protected], Paul Luton <[email protected] > typed:
> >>
> > We may agree that a cheap and nasty shared footway is unsatisfactory for a strategic cycle route
> > but for cyclists in west London the Tamsin Trail makes an enjoyable short ride at off peak
> > hours. We must be ready to defend our right to use it.
> >
> > Paul Luton
>
> Lead me to the barricade!
>
> Twice a week round Wimbledon common and the Park is my main exercise!

7 times a week around the park is my main exercise. I might extend this to include Wimbledon Common.
Best check the route ...

In message <[email protected]>
"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Paul Luton" <[email protected] > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have just received the newsletter of the Friends of Richmond Park which is mainly devoted to
> > an attack on the shared use of off road tracks in Royal Parks citing the throwing out of
> > proposals for cycle routes across Hampsted Heath and expressing "dismay" that cycling is now
> > allowed in Kensington Gardens.
>
> Your kidding right? Tons of people use it, and I have had no real problems on it. The bicycle hire
> shop will be fairly knackered if this comes in. This article was quite interesting though ...
> http://tinyurl.com/ibr3
>
> How do you sign up for the FoRP newsletter? I'd be interested in a copy if you can scan it ....

Sorry no scanner

The Hon. Membership Secretary is Mrs Mary Thorpe, 226 Sheen Lane SW148LB 020 8878 2789 and the
subscription £3.00. We may need all the support we can get!
--

Paul Luton wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> "Paul Luton" <[email protected] > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I have just received the newsletter of the Friends of Richmond Park which is mainly devoted to
>>> an attack on the shared use of off road tracks in Royal Parks citing the throwing out of
>>> proposals for cycle routes across Hampsted Heath and expressing "dismay" that cycling is now
>>> allowed in Kensington Gardens.
>>
>> Your kidding right? Tons of people use it, and I have had no real problems on it. The bicycle
>> hire shop will be fairly knackered if this comes in. This article was quite interesting though
>> ... http://tinyurl.com/ibr3
>>
>> How do you sign up for the FoRP newsletter? I'd be interested in a copy if you can scan it ....
>>

> Sorry no scanner
>
> The Hon. Membership Secretary is Mrs Mary Thorpe, 226 Sheen Lane SW148LB 020 8878 2789 and the
> subscription £3.00. We may need all the support we can get!

A post dredged from my achives.....

Prompted by the above, I joined FRP and was shocked by the tone and content of the article on
cycling in the Park.

I was therefore much relieved to read in the October newsletter a much moderated line from the vice
president, clearly prompted by complaints re the previous anti cyclist line.

Key sentence:

"One alternative, removing cyclists altogether from the Trail - apart from being thoroughly
undesirable from the cyclists' point of view, would not be legally allowable: the money was
originally bequeathed on the express condition that it would be used to build a cycle track"

The whole tone has switched from "anti cyclist" to "walkers and cyclists together against the car"

pk

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> The whole tone has switched from "anti cyclist" to "walkers and cyclists together against the car"

Is that any better? Can't everyone be sensible and say "responsible reasonable walkers, cyclists,
motorists et al against irresponsible unreasonable road users"?