or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

post #1 of 21
OK, I found some canned green beans for about 33 cents a can. They are
relatively low-carb, but they need some help.

Any ideas how to spruce up those green beans out of a can? I usually rinse
them off to eliminate some of the sodium but need to add some other spices
in order to jazz them up a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 21

Re: How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

I hate green beans, but at a Chinese restaurant they make them taste great.
So, my suggestion is to find a Chinese recipe.

Also, you might note that the Paleo diet folk regard green beans as toxic.
(They avoid foods that are toxic without cooking.)

Cubit
311/196/165

"Mike/CathyS" <tmsNOSPAM@go-concepts.com> wrote in message
> OK, I found some canned green beans for about 33 cents a can. They are
> relatively low-carb, but they need some help.
>
> Any ideas how to spruce up those green beans out of a can? I usually

rinse
> them off to eliminate some of the sodium but need to add some other spices
> in order to jazz them up a bit.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post #3 of 21

Re: How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

I must be dead, then, because I've eaten a lot of raw green beans.

In news:T%eHd.12264$wZ2.9669@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com,
Cubit <no@not.not> stated
| I hate green beans, but at a Chinese restaurant they make them taste
| great. So, my suggestion is to find a Chinese recipe.
|
| Also, you might note that the Paleo diet folk regard green beans as
| toxic. (They avoid foods that are toxic without cooking.)
|
| Cubit
| 311/196/165

post #4 of 21

Re: How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

"FOB" <fob@removethisameritech.net> wrote in news:clfHd.16362$_X7.10304
@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

> I must be dead, then, because I've eaten a lot of raw green beans.

Me too. I'm positively polluted.

Cate
post #5 of 21

Re: How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

"Mike/CathyS" <tmsNOSPAM@go-concepts.com> wrote in

> OK, I found some canned green beans for about 33 cents a can. They
> are relatively low-carb, but they need some help.
>
> Any ideas how to spruce up those green beans out of a can? I usually
> rinse them off to eliminate some of the sodium but need to add some
> other spices in order to jazz them up a bit.

Before I get to suggestions, are you sure canned green beans are really
what you want? I grew up eating canned green beans (Mom was a fan of all
things canned) and then experienced a revelation upon tasting fresh and
even frozen ones. Frozen green beans can be had pretty cheaply and contain
lots more taste and fewer additives than canned. Fresh ones, even more so.

Having said that, green beans are my favorite veg and I've tried just about
everything on them. Some suggestions for yours, though I've done all this
with fresh and can't vouch for the taste with canned:

- coriander + lemon juice and/or zest
- cardamom
- lots of fresh ground pepper
- lemon juice and/or zest + almonds
- blackened seasoning
- fresh ginger (powdered in a pinch)
- pine nuts + olive oil
- diced tomatoes + bacon crumbles
- blue cheese crumbles
- shredded parmeggiano reggiano or parmesan
- fresh thyme, lemon + garlic
- fresh oregano + lemon
- bacon + sauteed shallots

Cate
post #6 of 21

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Cubit wrote:

> I hate green beans, but at a Chinese restaurant they make them taste great.
> So, my suggestion is to find a Chinese recipe.
>
> Also, you might note that the Paleo diet folk regard green beans as toxic.
> (They avoid foods that are toxic without cooking.)

Are you talking about the vegetable that the French call haricots verts?
If so, they're definitely not toxic when raw. In fact, my problem with
cooking them is my tendency to snap the ends off one, eat one, etc. -
which means that my vegetable consumption is good, but my final dish of
cooked beans is pretty small.

Martha

--
"ALPO is 99 cents a can. That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"
Revek - ASDLC

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Mike/CathyS wrote:

> OK, I found some canned green beans for about 33 cents a can. They are
> relatively low-carb, but they need some help.
>
> Any ideas how to spruce up those green beans out of a can? I usually rinse
> them off to eliminate some of the sodium but need to add some other spices
> in order to jazz them up a bit.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use 'em to make beef vegetable soup? Rinse them off to get rid of the
sodium and then they'll cook down into something unidenfiably thickening
the broth.

Martha

--
"ALPO is 99 cents a can. That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"
Revek - ASDLC
post #8 of 21

Re: How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

I refer you to "Neanderthin" pages 46, 47, and 60.

I understand a different book, by Cordain, has also cited them as toxic, but
I don't have his book.

"Bob M" <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote in message
newspskthj8v0h8ewrd@esq03.mfh.com...
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:15:31 GMT, Cubit <no@not.not> wrote:
>
> > I hate green beans, but at a Chinese restaurant they make them taste
> > great.
> > So, my suggestion is to find a Chinese recipe.
> >
> > Also, you might note that the Paleo diet folk regard green beans as
> > toxic.
> > (They avoid foods that are toxic without cooking.)
> >
> > Cubit
> > 311/196/165
> >

> Green beans are toxic?
>
> --
> Bob in CT
post #9 of 21

Re: How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

"Mike/CathyS" <tmsNOSPAM@go-concepts.com> wrote in message
> OK, I found some canned green beans for about 33 cents a can. They are
> relatively low-carb, but they need some help.
>
> Any ideas how to spruce up those green beans out of a can? I usually

rinse
> them off to eliminate some of the sodium but need to add some other spices
> in order to jazz them up a bit.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I like this recipe: http://sidedish.allrecipes.com/az/GrlicGrnBns.asp I
like canned green beans, but they are definitely a whole nother thang than
fresh or frozen!

Lynne A
embstop@rushmore.com
post #10 of 21

Re: How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

"Mike/CathyS" <tmsNOSPAM@go-concepts.com> wrote in message
> OK, I found some canned green beans for about 33 cents a can. They are
> relatively low-carb, but they need some help.
>
> Any ideas how to spruce up those green beans out of a can? I usually
> rinse
> them off to eliminate some of the sodium but need to add some other spices
> in order to jazz them up a bit.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ok - canned green beans are icky but this will fix them.

1st - rinse 'em off.
Next mix them with chopped garlic and onion (use your judgement according to
how many cans of green beans you use) add salt & pepper to taste, add olive
oil and red wine vinegar. Put this in the fridge and have as a cold Italian
Bean Salad.

It should be garlicy, oniony (don't eat too many though - not too LC) and
just a bit vinegary. Yummo. Works for frozen and fresh green beans too.
post #11 of 21

Re: How to Spice Up Commercial Canned Green Beans?

my sil sautes an onion in a little butter, then adds some sour cream, tosses
in the beans, puts it all in a baking dish and covers it with slices of
swiss cheese...

glitter girl
"Mike/CathyS" <tmsNOSPAM@go-concepts.com> wrote in message
> OK, I found some canned green beans for about 33 cents a can. They are
> relatively low-carb, but they need some help.
>
> Any ideas how to spruce up those green beans out of a can? I usually
> rinse
> them off to eliminate some of the sodium but need to add some other spices
> in order to jazz them up a bit.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post #12 of 21

On 1/18/2005 1:38:16 PM, FOB wrote:

> I must be dead, then, because I've eaten a lot of raw green beans.

Next thing you know, they'll be claiming marijuana is bad for you.
--
"I went to see my doctor... 'Doctor, every morning when I get up and
look in the mirror...I feel like throwing up. What's wrong with me?'

Now playing: "Black Sabbath - Hand Of Doom"
post #13 of 21

Cubit wrote:
|| I refer you to "Neanderthin" pages 46, 47, and 60.
|| I understand a different book, by Cordain, has also cited them as
|| toxic, but I don't have his book.

Yes, it does.

|| "Bob M" <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote in message
|| newspskthj8v0h8ewrd@esq03.mfh.com...
||| Green beans are toxic?
||| --
||| Bob in CT
post #14 of 21

Mike/CathyS wrote:
> OK, I found some canned green beans for about 33 cents a can. They are
> relatively low-carb, but they need some help.
>
> Any ideas how to spruce up those green beans out of a can? I usually rinse
> them off to eliminate some of the sodium but need to add some other spices
> in order to jazz them up a bit.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Green bean do need something else, don't they!

I like to fry a piece or two of bacon, add a little onion, drain the
beans then dump em in skillet. A little salt and pepper and eat up.

Another way that I like is to first saute some pecans in a little
butter and olive oil. Drain and dump beans. Heat and eat.

Usually taste and texture is better with fresh beans and not that
much more costly.

Dave
post #15 of 21

Cubit wrote:

> Also, you might note that the Paleo diet folk regard green beans as

toxic.
> (They avoid foods that are toxic without cooking.)

I thought paleos only started avoiding them once they dried
out and that the fresh version wasn't a problem. Thanks
for the correction.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition