or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › White spots on Cabinets ? How to restore ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

White spots on Cabinets ? How to restore ?

post #1 of 4
I am helping a friend.

Her kitchen cabinets are getting spoiled.
They seem to have white spots / white lines - some along the grain.

They run from top to bottom.

The wood is a very light colored wood (maple ?) it came with a gloss
finish. It about 8 years old.

How can they be restored ?

How can she get rid of the white lines and make them look nice ?.
Any ideas ?

Pls help.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa
post #2 of 4

Re: White spots on Cabinets ? How to restore ?

> lisamiller101 writes:
>
>I am helping a friend.
>
>Her kitchen cabinets are getting spoiled.
>They seem to have white spots / white lines - some along the grain.
>
>They run from top to bottom.
>
>The wood is a very light colored wood (maple ?) it came with a gloss
>finish. It about 8 years old.
>
>How can they be restored ?
>
>How can she get rid of the white lines and make them look nice ?.
>Any ideas ?

Pretty much need to be physically examined by an experienced
cabinetmaker/furniture finisher. Not possible for even an expert to make an
intelligent determination without an actual visual inspection. Often a local
lumber yard can point you to a local cabinetmaker. You'll probably need to pay
for someone to come to look at the cabinets but if you remove a door and bring
that into the shop you'll probably get an appraisal for free. All anyone here
can do regarding the actual problem is make wild guesses, all of which would be
no better than your own.

Get professional help.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
post #3 of 4

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I am helping a friend.
>
>Her kitchen cabinets are getting spoiled.
>They seem to have white spots / white lines - some along the grain.

The cabinets seem to not be finished very well.
The finish may be really thin and worn through.

Here's a simple thing to try...

Go to the hardware store and buy some 0000 steel wool. that's 4 zeros.
The finest available, and only a tiny bit abrasive.
Also buy a bottle of Old English Furniture Oil. Find the one
recommended for light colored wood.

Find a spot that is as you describe, but not too obvious, in case you
don't like the result.

First clean the finsih with some Simple Green or other gentle cleaner,
even a damp cloth with a bit of sudsy water will do. This will take off
any grease that has settled on the wood. Rinse and dry.
Gently rub the wool along the grain in a flat spot to abrade the finish.
Using a soft cloth, apply some Old English. Done.

If it looks good, do some more.

Refinishing is big, messy job.

Or you could just paint them.
post #4 of 4

<lisamiller101@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am helping a friend.
>
> Her kitchen cabinets are getting spoiled.
> They seem to have white spots / white lines - some along the grain.
>
> They run from top to bottom.
>
> The wood is a very light colored wood (maple ?) it came with a gloss
> finish. It about 8 years old.
>
> How can they be restored ?
>
> How can she get rid of the white lines and make them look nice ?.
> Any ideas ?

You might consider getting a product called "Restore-A-Finish." It is
formulated to correct the kind of problems you describe. You simply rub it
in with a cloth or very fine steel wool. You can follow that with a good
past wax, or the polish that the Restore-A-Finish company makes to use with
their product (which I believe is a bees wax formula.) You can often find
this product online, in the paint department of hardware stores or at
antique stores. Here is a link:
http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/restoreafinish.htm

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...e%2Da%2Dfinish

Please note that the product comes in several woodtones and neutral. I
would use the neutral on natural-colored maple cabinets. Also, try it on an
inconspicuous place, like the inside of an out-of-the-way door, first. I
have had good luck with the stuff myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition