Buffalo cheese?

Vilco

Guest
Does someone make cheese with buffalo milk?
I was wondering if there could be something like our "mozzarella di
bufalo", made in Campania, the region of Naples.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Vilco wrote:

> Does someone make cheese with buffalo milk?
> I was wondering if there could be something like our "mozzarella di
> bufalo", made in Campania, the region of Naples.

Water buffalo not American bison. Yes, the best
mozzarella around is made from water buffalo milk
not cow milk.

There are a few ranches in the US who raise water
buffalo to make mozzarela for gourmet restaurants.
Water buffalo are also raised in Italy for the
same purpose, as well in plenty of nations in Asia.

Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Doug
Freyburger mi desto'

>> Does someone make cheese with buffalo milk?
>> I was wondering if there could be something like our "mozzarella di
>> bufalo", made in Campania, the region of Naples.

> Water buffalo not American bison.

This is the point: I saw many UK/USA based webpages calling "buffalo"
what I reckon as a bison ("bisonte" in italian). It made some
confusion to me, but you clarified that well.

> Yes, the best mozzarella around is made from
> water buffalo milk not cow milk.

Nice to hear you make mozzarella in the US, too. (you're from 'bout
there, aren't you?)

> There are a few ranches in the US who raise water
> buffalo to make mozzarela for gourmet restaurants.

So it's a kind of specialty food (e.eg: expensive, not so commonly
found)?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Vilco wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> >> Does someone make cheese with buffalo milk?
> >> I was wondering if there could be something like our "mozzarella di
> >> bufalo", made in Campania, the region of Naples.

> > Water buffalo not American bison.

> This is the point: I saw many UK/USA based webpages calling "buffalo"
> what I reckon as a bison ("bisonte" in italian). It made some
> confusion to me, but you clarified that well.

In the US and other nations some water buffalo
is raised for milk to make gourmet mozzarella.
The meat of these animals is consumed only
incidentally by the ranchers who raise them.

In the US and other nations some american bison
is raised for meat. To my knowledge their milk
is only used for the bison calves but I could
be wrong. It is possible to make cheese from
the milk of most grass eating animals and I
would sure like to try some bison cheese if
there is any.

> > Yes, the best mozzarella around is made from
> > water buffalo milk not cow milk.

> Nice to hear you make mozzarella in the US, too. (you're from 'bout
> there, aren't you?)

Yes, I am in the US.

> > There are a few ranches in the US who raise water
> > buffalo to make mozzarela for gourmet restaurants.

> So it's a kind of specialty food (e.eg: expensive, not so commonly
> found)?

In the Americas mozzarella from water buffalo milk
is a specialty food that is rarely available in
stores. I've seen more imported Italian mozzarella
di bufala than American produced.

I have corresponded with some American water buffalo
ranchers. I wanted a horn because I like drinking
horns. I didn 't ask if they have both types of
buffalo but with my horn came a photo of the animal
it came from. Definitely a water buffalo not a
bison. Cow's horns come with the hiar-stuff inside
the horn already removed. I have a couple of cow's
drinking horns that were easy to clean until they
were drinkable. The water buffalo horn came packed
with hair-like junk. I have no idea how to get it
out and the stuff has dried hard. Sigh, no drinking
horn yet. Maybe a dremel to get it out? Maybe
soaking it to soften it?

Mi e' parso che Doug Freyburger abbia scritto:

> The water buffalo horn came packed
> with hair-like junk. I have no idea how to get it
> out and the stuff has dried hard. Sigh, no drinking
> horn yet. Maybe a dremel to get it out? Maybe
> soaking it to soften it?

LOL, drinking horns :)
I sometimes see some very old horn-made tools attached to walls
in restaurants, things as old blackpowder stashes, but never
drinking tools.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Vilco wrote:
> Mi e' parso che Doug Freyburger abbia scritto:
>
>> The water buffalo horn came packed
>> with hair-like junk. I have no idea how to get it
>> out and the stuff has dried hard. Sigh, no drinking
>> horn yet. Maybe a dremel to get it out? Maybe
>> soaking it to soften it?

> LOL, drinking horns :)
> I sometimes see some very old horn-made tools attached to walls
> in restaurants, things as old blackpowder stashes, but never
> drinking tools.

I spotted some online just the other day. It was a medieval site, IIRC.

Jill

Vilco <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does someone make cheese with buffalo milk?
> I was wondering if there could be something like our "mozzarella di
> bufalo", made in Campania, the region of Naples.

You don't even have to leave Italy to find other cheeses made from
buffalo milk. For example, scamorze and even the ubiquitous provolone
were originally made with buffalo milk and it is said that this is
sometimes the case even now. Elsewhere, feta is sometimes made from BM,
as well as the Transylvanian Koloszvarer and the Gujarati Surati, a
variant of paneer.

Victor

Vilco wrote:

> Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Doug
> Freyburger mi desto'
>
> >> Does someone make cheese with buffalo milk?
> >> I was wondering if there could be something like our "mozzarella di
> >> bufalo", made in Campania, the region of Naples.

> > Water buffalo not American bison.

> This is the point: I saw many UK/USA based webpages calling "buffalo"
> what I reckon as a bison ("bisonte" in italian). It made some
> confusion to me, but you clarified that well.
>
> > Yes, the best mozzarella around is made from
> > water buffalo milk not cow milk.

> Nice to hear you make mozzarella in the US, too. (you're from 'bout
> there, aren't you?)
>
> > There are a few ranches in the US who raise water
> > buffalo to make mozzarela for gourmet restaurants.

> So it's a kind of specialty food (e.eg: expensive, not so commonly
> found)?
> --
> Vilco

Most good Italian delis in the US will stock mozzarella di bufalo, along
with that made with cow's milk. Might be more difficult to find outside
the larger cities. It is more expensive but it's good!