Re: Cheese for diabetics

"Is cheese a good source of protein for diabetics especially vegeterians
? How about taking 2 singles of American cheese every day , does it
increase cholesterol ?
Is mozerella / parmesan cheese better then the other brands ?

I often find eating pizza with mozerella cheese reduces my BP .
What is this due to ?"

Make sure the american cheese is really cheese and doesn't say something
like "cheese food" on the container. Some brands contain hydrogenated
oils which are particuarlly bad for a diabetic. I would choose only
products with names and labels which clearly show they are made from milk
only. Your experience with pizza can be misleading. There is something
called the "pizza effect" which is common in diabetics. The bread part of
it is a source of high glucose readings ibut the fat in the cheese causes
it's rise to be delayed longer then if the bread was eaten alone. This
means the rise in glucose is higher then expected and can last for an
extended time. Check this by testing glucose at 1, 2, and 3 hours to see
if this effect is the case for you. In general cheese is good but it can
contain carbohydrates as lactose which is the sugar in milk and as with
any food testing is the only way to know how much can be consumed. It is
also high in saturated fat which should be limited if possible and high in
calories which adds to weight problems because of the fat. There are low
fat products but check labels and test to see effects on you.

"calypso47" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Make sure the american cheese is really cheese and doesn't say something
> like "cheese food" on the container. Some brands contain hydrogenated
> oils which are particuarlly bad for a diabetic. I would choose only
> products with names and labels which clearly show they are made from milk
> only.

Thanks a lot , yes the american labelling is sometimes deceptive .
I will also look for the pizza effect you suggested .

Kam

On 20 Jul 2005 16:19:24 GMT, [email protected] wrote in
<news:[email protected]> on sci.med.nutrition :

> Your experience with pizza can be misleading. There is something
> called the "pizza effect" which is common in diabetics. The bread part of
> it is a source of high glucose readings ibut the fat in the cheese causes
> it's rise to be delayed longer then if the bread was eaten alone. This
> means the rise in glucose is higher then expected and can last for an
> extended time.

[...]

Any food rich in hi-GI foods + fat will give that same sort of delayed rise
in blood glucose? Let's say white bread & butter, for instance.

--
Enrico C