Risotto

Daisy

Guest
I simply love risotto. I have mixed success with them however. Some
recipes say you can add all the boiling liquid at once, and other say
it is essential to add it gradually and let it absorb before adding
again. I need some sort of really expert advice about this.

If someone out there has a really tried and true personal recipe I
would just love to have it.

Cheers

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

Mi e' parso che Daisy abbia scritto:

> I simply love risotto. I have mixed success with them
> however. Some recipes say you can add all the boiling
> liquid at once, and other say it is essential to add it
> gradually and let it absorb before adding again. I need
> some sort of really expert advice about this.

Not "really expert" but I know that both methods are good, the
difference is that if you want to put all the liquid soon, you
have to exactly know how much to use, otherwise you risk to
exceed the right amount. The "adding gradually" method is for
less skilled cooks who have to put the liquid while it cooks so
to see when and how many is needed.
There should be very little result difference.

> If someone out there has a really tried and true personal
> recipe I would just love to have it.

Sorry, I have no particular recipes, but just a hint on the rice
varieties to use: my favorite ones are "vialone nano", "baldo"
and "arborio", in order of preference :)
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

"Daisy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I simply love risotto. I have mixed success with them however. Some
> recipes say you can add all the boiling liquid at once, and other say
> it is essential to add it gradually and let it absorb before adding
> again. I need some sort of really expert advice about this.
>
> If someone out there has a really tried and true personal recipe I
> would just love to have it.

The microwave makes excellent and easy risotto. See the recipe below.

--
Peter Aitken

microwave, I am posting this recipe from Microwave Gourmet by Barbara
Kafka. Please note the following:

1) The recipe is not foolproof. For ideal results you will need to make
adjustments in amount of liquid and cooking time to suit the rice, your
oven, and your personal preferences.

2) The recipe is from the time when 750 watt was about the maximum power
available. If your MW is more powerful you may find things browning in step
1 and you do not want this. Cook at a lower power - perhaps 70%.

3) The times in step 2 also depend on the power of your oven and the temp of
the broth when added. I do the stirring after the broth has come to a boil
for a few minutes. The final cooking should be until most but not all the
liquid has been absorbed. The surface of the rice will be exposed and
bubbly.

4) I find 2 tsp of salt to be too much. With normally salty broth and the
cheese I find that no added salt is usually OK, or just a little bit at the
end.

BASIC RISOTTO

The very idosyncracy of the MW that makes it generally unsuited for cooking
starchy dishes makes it ideal for risotto. Starch absorbs liquid slowly in
the MW and absorbs too much, just what you want for this dish.

Serves 3 as a first course, 6 as a side dish

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup minced yellow onion

1 cup arborio rice, unwashed (or carnaroli)

3 cups Chicken Broth, heated

2 tsp kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat butter and oil in a 10-inch quiche dish, uncovered, at 100% for 2
minutes. Add onions and stir to coat. Cook, uncovered, at 100% for 4
minutes. Add rice and stir to coat. Cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes more. (If
using a small oven, cook onions for 7

minutes; add rice and cook for 7 minutes more.)

2. Stir in broth. Cook, uncovered, at 100% for 9 minutes. Stir well and cook
for 9 minutes more. (If using a small oven, cook for 12 minutes, stir and
cook for 12 minutes more.)

3. Remove from oven. If creamier risotto is desired add 1/4c additional hot
broth. Let stand, uncovered, for 5 minutes to let rice absorb remaining
liquid, stirring several times. Stir in salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese, if
desired.

"Daisy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I simply love risotto. I have mixed success with them however. Some
> recipes say you can add all the boiling liquid at once, and other say
> it is essential to add it gradually and let it absorb before adding
> again. I need some sort of really expert advice about this.
>
> If someone out there has a really tried and true personal recipe I
> would just love to have it.
>
> Cheers
>

> Daisy

There are 2 major components to risotto the stock and the rice. In a traditional
risotto the rice is almost constantly mixed. The traditional theory on why the
concoction makes the delicious thick flavorful sauce is that the constant
stirring will cause some of the surface starch to wear off the individual
grains. it has been my experiance that the recipes that do not stir simply do
not produce the lucious textured sauce.

The reason the liquid is kept simmering is so when you add the liquid you are
not lowering the temperature of the rice that is cooking.

Please see below from epicurious: IMHO there is no substitute for the
technique.

Dimitri

risotto
[rih-SAW-toh, ree-ZAW-toh]
An Italian rice specialty made by stirring hot stock into a mixture of rice (and
often chopped onions) that has been sautéed in butter. The stock is added 1/2
cup at a time and the mixture is stirred continually while it cooks until all
the liquid is absorbed before more stock is added. This labor-intensive
technique results in rice that is delectably creamy while the grains remain
separate and firm. Risottos can be flavored variously with ingredients such as
chicken, shellfish, sausage, vegetables, cheese, white wine and herbs. The
famous risotto Milanese is scented with SAFFRON. The use of Italian ARBORIO RICE
is traditional in the preparation of risotto.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

Dimitri wrote:

> "Daisy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I simply love risotto. I have mixed success with them however.

> Some
> > recipes say you can add all the boiling liquid at once, and other

> say
> > it is essential to add it gradually and let it absorb before adding
> > again. I need some sort of really expert advice about this.
> >
> > If someone out there has a really tried and true personal recipe I
> > would just love to have it.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > Daisy

> There are 2 major components to risotto the stock and the rice. In a
> traditional
> risotto the rice is almost constantly mixed. The traditional theory
> on why the
> concoction makes the delicious thick flavorful sauce is that the
> constant
> stirring will cause some of the surface starch to wear off the
> individual
> grains. it has been my experiance that the recipes that do not stir
> simply do
> not produce the lucious textured sauce.
>
> The reason the liquid is kept simmering is so when you add the liquid
> you are
> not lowering the temperature of the rice that is cooking.
>
> Please see below from epicurious: IMHO there is no substitute for the
>
> technique.

Dont forget the red wine risotto, or use white wine or marsala in place
of the stock, sometimes milk is ussed.

> Dimitri
>
> risotto
> [rih-SAW-toh, ree-ZAW-toh]
> An Italian rice specialty made by stirring hot stock into a mixture of
> rice (and
> often chopped onions) that has been sautéed in butter. The stock is
> added 1/2
> cup at a time and the mixture is stirred continually while it cooks
> until all
> the liquid is absorbed before more stock is added. This
> labor-intensive
> technique results in rice that is delectably creamy while the grains
> remain
> separate and firm. Risottos can be flavored variously with ingredients
> such as
> chicken, shellfish, sausage, vegetables, cheese, white wine and herbs.
> The
> famous risotto Milanese is scented with SAFFRON. The use of Italian
> ARBORIO RICE
> is traditional in the preparation of risotto.
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S
> COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

--
---
Joseph Littleshoes

"Joseph Littleshoes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dimitri wrote:

<snip>

> Dont forget the red wine risotto, or use white wine or marsala in place
> of the stock, sometimes milk is ussed.

<snip>

> Joseph Littleshoes
> may be consulted at
> ---
> http://finblake.home.mindspring.com/tarotintro.htm

Right on the money - Last night we (3) ate in Manhattan Beach CA. a nice little
place I had a tomato risotto and one of the others at the table had a mushroom
and white wine risotto. Both were very good.

Dimitri

Daisy <[email protected]> wrote:

> I simply love risotto. I have mixed success with them however. Some
> recipes say you can add all the boiling liquid at once, and other say
> it is essential to add it gradually and let it absorb before adding
> again. I need some sort of really expert advice about this.

There are several methods of making risotto, including the two you
mention, and also the pressure cooker and the microwave versions. Only
one is really traditional and perfectly suited for making risotto - the
old "toast the rice in oil or butter, add hot liquid gradually
ladle-by-ladle, mix in some butter and parmesan or pecorino at the end"
one. Any other version is a more-or-less-successful compromise designed
to save time or effort. To understand why this is so, read the very
nice treatise on risotto by John Kessler, at
<http://www.gourmetgeorgia.com/Bella.htm>.
He quotes several experts, including Marcella Hazan. I don't know if
everything in the essay is scientifically correct, but it certainly
sounds plausible.

> If someone out there has a really tried and true personal recipe I
> would just love to have it.

Here is one I posted a few times before.

For a change, not a dainty Piedmontese, Lombardian or Venetian risotto,
but a hearty one from the island of Sardinia. A meal in itself.
Adapted from 'Cucina Italiana', issued by Accademia Italiana della
Cucina (German edition). I've posted this before.

Risotto alla sarda

4 servings

300g (10.5 oz) Arborio rice
100g (3.5 oz) pork, chopped in small (0.7 in) dice
100g (3.5 oz) veal, chopped in small (0.7 in) dice
50g (1.75 oz) salt pork, cubed (or 0.4 cup olive oil)
16 threads saffron
1/2 onion, in thin rings
0.4 cup dry red wine
200g (7 oz) ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 l (1 quart) beef stock
50g (1.75 oz) freshly grated Pecorino cheese
1 tablespoon butter
Salt, pepper

In a hot pan, melt bacon fat and fry the onions until golden brown. Add
the meat and fry on all sides for a few minutes. Add the wine and
reduce till there is almost no liquid left. Add the tomatoes tzogether
with saffron, a bit of salt and plenty of pepper. Cover and continue to
cook over low heat until the sauce
thickens. In a saucepan, melt the butter and, when it foams, add the
rice. Fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
Add the meat sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add
a bit of broth and continue cooking until it's mostly absorbed, then add
a bit more broth and continue in this manner, stirring constantly, until
the rice is al dente (tender but still firm to the bite). Remove from
the heat and vigorously stir in the cheese (and, optionally, a
tablespoon of butter). Add some more pepper if necessary. Stir again
and serve immediately.

Victor

I don't have an exact recipe, but one of my favorite risottos
includes hard-smoked salmon, green onions, and yellow bell
peppers. I pre-sautee these in olive oil along with several
California bay leaves; remove the bay leaves before adding
these ingredients to the risotto, part way through cooking it.

Also, I use water as opposed to broth as the rice-cooking
liquid.

Steve

OK guys, I did the risotto tonight. It worked out just fine except
for one thing. It was very very buttery - in fact there was a lot of
melted butter on the plate (I guess mixed with olive oil because the
recipe specified that as well)). The arborio rice was cooked just
right and the flavours I used were great, but there was an awful lot
of grease in the mixture.

I realise I have to coat the rice in butter/oil thoroughly, but I
thought 2 tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp butter was excessive for 1 cup of
rice and 2 cups chicken stock, and especially as the finished rice
literally swam in butter/oil. (I was cooking for two!)

Any clues anyone?

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

"Daisy" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> OK guys, I did the risotto tonight. It worked out just fine except
> for one thing. It was very very buttery - in fact there was a lot of
> melted butter on the plate (I guess mixed with olive oil because the
> recipe specified that as well)). The arborio rice was cooked just
> right and the flavours I used were great, but there was an awful lot
> of grease in the mixture.
>
> I realise I have to coat the rice in butter/oil thoroughly, but I
> thought 2 tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp butter was excessive for 1 cup of
> rice and 2 cups chicken stock, and especially as the finished rice
> literally swam in butter/oil. (I was cooking for two!)
>
> Any clues anyone?

Hi,
the only clue is to moderate the quantity of oil and butter...
I use 3 tbsp of oil and 5 tbsp of butter to cook 500g of rice (that's 7-8
persons).
For two persons it should be one tbsp of oil, plus one of butter for meltin
the rice (130g - 160g rice), and then another tbsp of butter at the end of
the cooking.
Bye!
Stefano

Daisy wrote:

> OK guys, I did the risotto tonight. It worked out just fine except
> for one thing. It was very very buttery - in fact there was a lot of
> melted butter on the plate (I guess mixed with olive oil because the
> recipe specified that as well)). The arborio rice was cooked just
> right and the flavours I used were great, but there was an awful lot
> of grease in the mixture.
>
> I realise I have to coat the rice in butter/oil thoroughly, but I
> thought 2 tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp butter was excessive for 1 cup of
> rice and 2 cups chicken stock, and especially as the finished rice
> literally swam in butter/oil. (I was cooking for two!)
>
> Any clues anyone?

I think the answer you gave is the correct one. I just eyeball the oil and
butter I add, and I add more if it looks like it's not enough, but it's not
even CLOSE to a total of five tablespoons. Try using just one tablespoon of
each.

Bob

Daisy <[email protected]> wrote:

> I simply love risotto. I have mixed success with them however. Some
> recipes say you can add all the boiling liquid at once,

follow the instructions: forget it, unless you are not after a "minestra
di riso" (in which case you add rice to boiling water+something)

> and other say
> it is essential to add it gradually and let it absorb before adding
> again.

oh, yes, a stir form time to time, don't let it go too dry

--
zb