Tumble turns.

Zoom

Guest
How many people here do tumble turns as compared to just touching and
turning?
I can tumble but it takes a lot of energy out of me.

Zoom

In article <[email protected]>, Zoom <[email protected]>
wrote:

> How many people here do tumble turns as compared to just touching and
> turning?
> I can tumble but it takes a lot of energy out of me.
>
> Zoom

If you keep doing tumble turns, eventually they become easier to do than
touching and turning.

Zoom wrote:
> How many people here do tumble turns as compared to just touching and
> turning?
> I can tumble but it takes a lot of energy out of me.
>
> Zoom

I always do flip turns. If you find it very tiring, it's likely that
you're not doing it correctly. I suggest practicing 180 degree flips in
the middle of the pool. Lay face down in the water with you hands at
your sides. Press your palms down and lift your hands above your head,
as if you were throwing water over yourself. Once you can flip
proficiently I think you'll find the rest (basically gliding in and
pushing off) is easy.

Zoom <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> How many people here do tumble turns as compared to just touching and
> turning?
> I can tumble but it takes a lot of energy out of me.
>
> Zoom

If they are terribly difficult chances are you are doing them
incorrectly. Practice flipping your direction in the middle of the pool
a few times without the worry of hitting or pushing off the wall.

Starting from a prone position, take your hand and on the return strike
into the water above your head. Now tuck your chin pushing your head
under the water while bending at the waist.

If your body doesn't want to roll over (forward) at this point you can
bend your knees so your legs are in a squat position - this moves your
center of gravity towards your head ( I have long legs ).

That should get you started.
Try uses some flippers to help "push" your legs over at first as well.

The effort involved in grabbing the wall and pushing your body around is
much greater than a smooth flip.

Steph wrote:

> If they are terribly difficult
> chances are you are doing them
> incorrectly.

Perhaps, but even a good flip
keeps you away from air longer
than an open turn.

"Man o' Tea" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steph wrote:
>
>> If they are terribly difficult
>> chances are you are doing them
>> incorrectly.

>Perhaps, but even a good flip
>keeps you away from air longer
>than an open turn.

But even a bad flip keeps you away from shoulder injury forever. And a
good flip is a lot faster then the best open turn.

S. Quentin Quale wrote:

> ... a good flip is a lot faster
> then the best open turn.

Agreed, but I think experienced
swimmers forget how comforting it
is to double or triple breathe on
the wall.

"Man o' Tea" <[email protected]> wrote:

>S. Quentin Quale wrote:
>
>> ... a good flip is a lot faster
>> then the best open turn.

>Agreed, but I think experienced
>swimmers forget how comforting it
>is to double or triple breathe on
>the wall.

Agreed, but the reason we forget is because it becomes *un*
comfortable to do that. Or, I should say, it becaomes less
uncomfortable to flip and keep going than to stop and breath and push
off again.

S. Quentin Quale wrote:

> ... it becaomes less uncomfortable to
> flip and keep going than to stop and
> breath and push off again.

Yes, but there is definitely a hump to
get over. Until I dedicated myself to
flipping on every turn, there was
always the temptation to take a little
breather. And sometimes I'd think, "Gee,
I'm too close to flip, the timing's
wrong, might as well take a breath, etc."

Eventually, you don't think, you just
flip.

"S. Quentin Quale" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
news: [email protected]...

> Agreed, but the reason we forget is because it becomes *un*
> comfortable to do that. Or, I should say, it becaomes less
> uncomfortable to flip and keep going than to stop and breath and push
> off again.

Speed is a factor here.
Cruising below 1m/s, flip turns are long, and will not execute smoothly.
At higher speed, they will come much more easily... Sheer inertia will make
your legs flip over your body without effort.

-- Olivier