second hand??

erikax

New Member
Aug 5, 2003
Just wondering if anybody could point me in the best direction to find second hand road bikes down under? I am a european student who just arrived in Adelaide. Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover me bringing my bike as I was travelling a bit on my way down here. Shipping it down is not the best option as its expensive and I'm not staying very long. So I need a new bike. Buying new is a limited option on my student budget as i could only afford entry level. So I am looking for a used road bike.
Any ideas of good places to check?? Magazines with classifieds, specific bikestores that might store second hand, cycle clubs???
Appreciate any help as I'm getting desperate to get out on the road again!!

Hopefull regards

Erik, Adelaide SA

Bicycle Express at 124 Halifax St , Adelaide Tel no.8232 7277. have a few 2nd hand bikes, they also
have a store at 1 Sturt Rd, Brighton 8296 8861 (not sure if they sell 2nd hand there though) but
probably your best bet would be the Trading Post $1.20 from newsagents (pub'd every thursday).

Also you can get some real bargains on Australian eBay. A almost new OCR3 (with Sora gear) just sold
for about $500 from memory.

Oh! I nearly forgot! Try www.cycle2max.com as they have a small for sale section.....but check this
website out regardless as it's very informative about climbs in Adelaide etc.

Welcome to Adelaide btw.

Cheers

John

erikax <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just wondering if anybody could point me in the best direction to find second hand road bikes down
> under? I am a european student who just arrived in Adelaide. Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't
> cover me bringing my bike as I was travelling a bit on my way down here. Shipping it down is not
> the best option as its expensive and I'm not staying very long. So I need a new bike. Buying new
> is a limited option on my student budget as i could only afford entry level. So I am looking for a
> used road bike. Any ideas of good places to check?? Magazines with classifieds, specific
> bikestores that might store second hand, cycle clubs??? Appreciate any help as I'm getting
> desperate to get out on the road again!!

On the Torrens in front of the paliament there is a guy that hires out mountain bikes. He sells
reconditioned ones for cheap. They usually have a few scratches on them, but are mechanically good.
I bought one about 5 years ago and it lasted me a long time.

Explain your situation to him, and he should look after you.
---
DFM

erikax wrote:

> Just wondering if anybody could point me in the best direction to find second hand road bikes down
> under? I am a european student who just arrived in Adelaide. Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't
> cover me bringing my bike as I was travelling a bit on my way down here. Shipping it down is not
> the best option as its expensive and I'm not staying very long. So I need a new bike. Buying new
> is a limited option on my student budget as i could only afford entry level. So I am looking for a
> used road bike. Any ideas of good places to check?? Magazines with classifieds, specific
> bikestores that might store second hand, cycle clubs??? Appreciate any help as I'm getting
> desperate to get out on the road again!!
>
> Hopefull regards
>
> Erik, Adelaide SA

Try http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com/ba The classifieds section is very active. Bikes tend to be at
the higher end of the spectrum but some bargains come up.

I second John's recommendation, Keith Wong at Bicycle Express has quite a lot of used road bikes,
and he's open to haggling too.

news:[email protected]...