Map of Kilimanjaro

Michael

Guest
Hello!

Some friends and I are going to be climbing Kilimanjaro in September
and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent maps of the mountain?
I've seen a couple but havn't been terribly impressed. Am I just
spoiled by the OS maps we have here in the UK :) ?

Thanks for your help!

Michael.

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello!
>
> Some friends and I are going to be climbing Kilimanjaro in

September
> and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent maps of the

mountain?
> I've seen a couple but havn't been terribly impressed. Am I just
> spoiled by the OS maps we have here in the UK :) ?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Michael.

There are no comparable maps that I am aware of that cover
Kilimanjaro. You will of course be with guide who will probably not
refer to maps at all on your climb. If you can get a hold of the book
Kilimanjaro by Henry Stedman you will find all route details, sketch
maps and timings and loads of other good stuff. I climbed Kili by the
Marangu route this January, pics at
http://graham-ingram.fotopic.net/c521589.html if you are
interested, and if I can give any other details feel free to contact
me through the group or by email

Cheers
Graham

Try looking at google earth !!

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello!
>
> Some friends and I are going to be climbing Kilimanjaro in September
> and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent maps of the mountain?
> I've seen a couple but havn't been terribly impressed. Am I just
> spoiled by the OS maps we have here in the UK :) ?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Michael.

Michael,

There is an OS map of Kili, though the scale is 1:100:000

I did Kili a few years back and at that time is was one of a series of what
were called Ordnance
Survey World Maps, and was Worldmap 1.

The map is useful to get an idea of where you are on the mountain - the
guides will know exactly where you are without needing a map!

Have a good climb - it was one of the best weeks of my life.

David

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello!
>
> Some friends and I are going to be climbing Kilimanjaro in September
> and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent maps of the mountain?
> I've seen a couple but havn't been terribly impressed. Am I just
> spoiled by the OS maps we have here in the UK :) ?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Michael.

In article <[email protected]>,
Michael <[email protected]> writes
> Hello!
>
> Some friends and I are going to be climbing Kilimanjaro in September
>and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent maps of the mountain?
>I've seen a couple but havn't been terribly impressed. Am I just
>spoiled by the OS maps we have here in the UK :) ?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Michael.

Stanfords have one. The extract in the preview window looks ok.

<http://stanfords.co.uk/mapdetails/mapdetails?item_code=121753&loc_id=322
3>

They have shops in London, Bristol and Manchester so you might be able
to have a look at one before buying.

--

Dominic Sexton

On 2 Aug 2005 10:13:38 -0700, "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Some friends and I are going to be climbing Kilimanjaro in September
>and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent maps of the mountain?
>I've seen a couple but havn't been terribly impressed. Am I just
>spoiled by the OS maps we have here in the UK :) ?

I bought the Kilimanjaro Map and Guide by Andrew Wielochowski. Details
from:
http://www.mapsworldwide.com/maps_14112.htm

It satisfied my curiosity before I travelled there and provides a
reminder when I'm feeling nostalgic. I didn't look at it much during
the trip: it simply wasn't necessary. I went via the Umbwe ridge and
Western Breach and returned via the Mweka. Details and photos at:

http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/kilimanjaro/

HTH

John D.
--
at home in Kendal, Cumbria
Lake District Walks website: http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the info and the link to your photos! It certainly looks
as if you had a good time, I guess that everyone in your group made it
to the top?

Re. the map, I always really enjoy studying the OS maps of areas I'm
visiting when I'm hiking in Britain and I thought it would be nice to
do the same with Kilimanjaro. Mind you, I'm not sure if I'll the
energy for that along with the climb, but we'll see!

Thanks again,

Michael.

Hi David,

Thanks, but I've searched high and low on the OS web site and can find
no mention of a ''World Maps" series. Maybe they don't do them
anymore? It's a shame, it sounds exactly the kind of thing I was
looking for. Where did you get it?

Good to hear you had a good climb! Which route did you do? Hopefully
it will be good for us too.

Regards,

Michael.