The bike bug has bitten - some advice guys?

The Real Slim S

Guest
This is my first post here for ages so hello,

Seems to me that everyone is getting into this biking game and for good reason its brilliant!!! I
have used mountain bikes in the past but have just got my first racer and boy what fun! Anyway, can
I seek the collective wisdom of this community?

1. I am just solo riding at the minute but want to join a biking club soon. I notice that some of
the good riders are doing 25 milers in about 58 minutes and less sometimes. I am nothing like
this fast yet. What sort of standard should I aim for without disgracing myself before going
along with a bunch? I need to learn some tricks so am I thinking all wrong here? Should I just go
along anyway?

2. This 58 minute time I mention. What sort of terrain is that all about? For example, a running
marathon must be run over a course that must be flat within certain parameters. What about
cycling? Must that 25 miles be of certian "flatness" in order for that time to be valid? 25
miles in the Peak district would be a heck of a lot harder that a 25 miler in Lincolnshire
where I live.

3. I notice that a lot of top riders - Armstrong, et al, are very lean in terms of upper body muscle
mass. Quite skinny I would say. I am quite muscular in the upper body and legs. Is anyone else of
similar build and can put in a good time? To be a good biker do I need to cut down on the
bodybuilding?

4. My bike. It's great and cost me a few bob.
http://www.factorydirectbikes.com/products.php?plid=1-0-6-389 What do you reckon to it? I think
it's brilliant and it serving me a treat. Fantastic engineering.

5. Any good websites with info about maintennance, training tips etc? I have found one or two but
any other recommendations.

6. I am 35 and a novice but very fit I think. Can I hope for much in the way good times and winning
any competitions?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions guys, TRSS

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:38:24 +0100, "The Real Slim Shady" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This is my first post here for ages so hello,
>
>Seems to me that everyone is getting into this biking game and for good reason its brilliant!!! I
>have used mountain bikes in the past but have just got my first racer and boy what fun! Anyway, can
>I seek the collective wisdom of this community?
>
>1. I am just solo riding at the minute but want to join a biking club soon. I notice that some of
> the good riders are doing 25 milers in about 58 minutes and less sometimes. I am nothing like
> this fast yet. What sort of standard should I aim for without disgracing myself before going
> along with a bunch? I need to learn some tricks so am I thinking all wrong here? Should I just
> go along anyway?

58 mins is racing speed so it depends whether the club you are going with are training or just
riding. If just riding 1hr 10/15min per 25 miles is more likely - depending on how far they
are going.

>2. This 58 minute time I mention. What sort of terrain is that all about? For example, a running
> marathon must be run over a course that must be flat within certain parameters. What about
> cycling? Must that 25 miles be of certian "flatness" in order for that time to be valid? 25
> miles in the Peak district would be a heck of a lot harder that a 25 miler in Lincolnshire where
> I live.

The UK record for a 25 mile Time Trial is 45 minutes something by Chris Boardman. Most 25's are now
won by times close to 50 minutes dependent on conditions. The courses are either out-and-home over
roughly equal distance or circuit and are uaually flattish.

>3. I notice that a lot of top riders - Armstrong, et al, are very lean in terms of upper body
> muscle mass. Quite skinny I would say. I am quite muscular in the upper body and legs. Is anyone
> else of similar build and can put in a good time? To be a good biker do I need to cut down on
> the bodybuilding?

Cyclists vary in physique and the beauty of the sport is that the bike is a great leveler. Powerful
physiques might be able to go faster on the flat but will struggle in the mountains. The advantage
that long legs might have in eg running is negated by the shared crank length.

If you are only interested in the shorter Time Trials or road Races your physique would not be a
great disadvantage, and would benefit you if you decided to try the power events on the Track
for instance.

Unless you intend riding the Tour de France I wouldn't worry too much as at your age it will be
difficult to loose the muscle mass. Armstrong used to have a relatively powerful upper body due to
initially being a triathlete. His physique only changed after his battle with cancer.

>4. My bike. It's great and cost me a few bob.
> http://www.factorydirectbikes.com/products.php?plid=1-0-6-389 What do you reckon to it? I think
> it's brilliant and it serving me a treat. Fantastic engineering.

It's reasonable, but I think you could have got a better spec for the money. The frame seems good
enough, but Campag Centuar is borderline as far as racing performance goes - you might be looking to
upgrade if you decide to take it seriously.

>5. Any good websites with info about maintennance, training tips etc? I have found one or two but
> any other recommendations.

>6. I am 35 and a novice but very fit I think. Can I hope for much in the way good times and winning
> any competitions?

Depends how much you train. More than any other sport cycling is the one where you only get back
what you put in and natural ability counts for least. In the words of the famous Tour de France
Winner, Fausto Coppi. When asked what the three most important tips he could give to someone wanting
to improve in cycling, his reply was, "Ride the bike, Ride the bike, Ride the bike !"

>Thanks in advance for answering my questions guys, TRSS

Regards! Stephen

Thanks for the information and encouragement Steve !!

"Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:38:24 +0100, "The Real Slim Shady" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >This is my first post here for ages so hello,
> >
> >Seems to me that everyone is getting into this biking game and for good reason its brilliant!!! I
> >have used mountain bikes in the past but have just got my first racer and boy what fun! Anyway,
> >can I seek the
collective

Doesnotcompute wrote:
> The Real Slim Shady wrote:
>> This is my first post here for ages so hello,
>
>> 5. Any good websites with info about maintennance, training tips etc? I have found one or two but
>> any other recommendations.
>
> download these for starters :)
>
> http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20639

Aren't download managers great? Good old FlashGet ....

"Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:38:24 +0100, "The Real Slim Shady" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >4. My bike. It's great and cost me a few bob.
> > http://www.factorydirectbikes.com/products.php?plid=1-0-6-389 What do you reckon to it? I
> > think it's brilliant and it serving me a
treat.
> >Fantastic engineering.
>
> It's reasonable, but I think you could have got a better spec for the money. The frame seems good
> enough, but Campag Centuar is borderline as far as racing performance goes - you might be looking
> to upgrade if you decide to take it seriously.

I wouldn't worry about your components they are perfectly adequate for racing - If it's properly
adjusted. Don't be sucked in to buying lots of record stuff since it'll only wear out. When the bike
is holding you back get something super duper.