RR a cheater and a weenie

Penny S.

Guest
I went off with hubby and son to a ski patrol convention.... got to play on the bike while they did
conventioning. I never did scare anyone up to ride with, so I had to go solo.

A very nice bike shop was 1.5 blocks from the hotel. I talked to a totally buff gal ( rides and
yoga) who was extremely helpful. She drew me a some maps on the back of my assorted web printouts,
and gave me some suggestions for some of her favorites rides. I then did purchase what looks to be a
well done guide book for Western WA. Her suggestion was for the Red Hill Trail, same area as Devil's
Gulch and the Mission Ridge trail, a 17 mile remote single track look that sounded awesome.

I laid around in the AC and read the guidebook and all my printouts, trying to make a choice for the
next morning. I had Craig read my options too, I tend to get a little boggled by too many choices.
Bottom line is, I had a lot of concerns being a solo rider, in a area I don't know, ( no cell phone
coverage) and not having a set of topo maps. Guide book and prints outs just don't cut it for
detail. While the red hill ride sounded awesome, she has told me too that nobody goes out there. And
with it's myriad of turn off and junctions I felt like it wouldn't be the smartest choice.

So... put off decision making to the next morning. I had an aha! moment. I remembered I'd brought
the phone number off an old friend who lives in Cashmere ( my first roommate's boyfriend, we've kept
in touch over the years) I give them a call. It turns out they live just down the road from the main
trail heads for Devil's Gulch and all the other rides. By the time I get over to their house and
load up on coffee and melon, the morning has really gotten away from me.

I do make a plan. It's too hot and late in the morning to tackle the 3700'-12 mile forest road climb
to the top of Devil's gulch. This is a 24 miles loop, the most well known area classic, the one
every talks about. I choose this ride mainly for the fact that I know there will be other people on
it, and that feels more comfortable to me that heading out into the remote forest on my own. Bob and
Jo-ann agree to shuttle me to the upper trailhead, so in essence I have 12 miles without climbing to
ride, plus there will be another 10 miles down the canyon to their house from the lower trailhead.
As we drive up the forest road, while I regret the shortened mileage for the ride, I do not regret
opting out of the climb in the noon heat... it's very steep and switchbacked in the sun . In the
trailhead lot , there are a few riders, and someone suiting up for a DH run comes over and says, hi;
turns out we were on the NORBA crew together!! I have a moment of hesitation as I watch them
fastening down the armor, but then I notice two guys with entry level hardtails having a snack and
decide to just go for it.

My friends leave me at the trail head and off I go... the infamous Devil's Gulch.....What can I say,
after all this hype and what not, ( on, you have to do this ride if you go there....) it's like a 12
mile version of the elk trail ( amb-id reference) with a few big creek crossing and a little
exposure in places. Which means, smooth as a baby's butt for almost the whole way, hardly even a
root or two!! But... I weenie out, not knowing the trail. This means, I have a nice speed with
occasional pedaling, but I'm not bombing it, primarily for the reason that as the trail twists along
the contours of the ridge it's following, you cannot see what's around the corners. Ever. But there
are long stretches through the forest where you are clear to let it fly when you can see the trail.
I feel a bit tense, as this whole ride is an unknown and I am solo. There are a couple of fairly big
creekcrossing, and I get off and walk every single one ( weenie) as I am prone to wrecking in those
situations. Its a fun ride, but now I see why the big road/climb is added in, to give the rating and
reputation it has. Definately not a destination ride, IMO. But hey any ride is better than no ride,
right? Just think, I could have spent the afternoon at the Wenatchee Mall...

At the bottom, It's an "ok, so that's all there is?" feeling. It was fun, it was a ride, it was
getting out. But I do have 10 miles of road back to my friend's house and that turns out to be a
pleasant big ring pedal against a head wind through wide canyon filled with orchards. I'd gladly go
back to the area with a riding partner, and do more exploring.

Penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I went off with hubby and son to a ski patrol convention.... got to play on the bike while they
> did conventioning. I never did scare anyone up to ride with, so I had to go solo. At the bottom,
> It's an "ok, so that's all there is?" feeling. It was fun, it was a ride, it was getting out. But
> I do have 10 miles of road back to my friend's house and that turns out to be a pleasant big ring
> pedal against a head wind through wide canyon filled with orchards. I'd gladly go back to the area
> with a riding partner, and do more exploring.

<snip a tad>

> Penny

Glad you got to ride around there, Penny. I know the feeling about exploring solo. For all my other
positive attributes, if any, a built-in gps is not one of them, so I usually take it careful in
similar situations.

The ride we did Sunday a.m. dropped us out into a huge high elev. grassy meadow with 12k peaks all
around. We explored a ways, and then back-tracked and missed the cigarette box-sized sign telling us
to head right. Glad we found it.

Paladin

That river canyon you roadied on is beautiful, and I still love that area.

Paladin scribbled :
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I went off with hubby and son to a ski patrol convention.... got to play on the bike while they
>> did conventioning. I never did scare anyone up to ride with, so I had to go solo.
>
> Glad you got to ride around there, Penny. I know the feeling about exploring solo. For all my
> other positive attributes, if any, a built-in gps is not one of them, so I usually take it careful
> in similar situations.
>
> The ride we did Sunday a.m. dropped us out into a huge high elev. grassy meadow with 12k peaks all
> around. We explored a ways, and then back-tracked and missed the cigarette box-sized sign telling
> us to head right. Glad we found it.
>
> Paladin
>
> That river canyon you roadied on is beautiful, and I still love that area.

It's funny I'm not afraid of a particular thing, just trying to use common sense and intuition. Now,
I would have gone anywhere if there was just one other person. Perhaps it's memories of an
acquaintance who was solo riding and went OTB and was found unconscious on trail by other riders. I
dunno... just thought I'd play it safe.

Evidently Mission Ridge that parallels what I rode is the technical sister to Devil's Gulch. Maybe
next time.

penny