or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recumbent pedal boat

post #1 of 10
This skiff looks interesting...

http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm

....the blurb on one page suggests that cyclist at the Leicester event in
late May will be able to give it a go.

Colin
post #2 of 10

Re: Recumbent pedal boat

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>> This skiff looks interesting...

> Early issues of VeloVision had a piece on an Australian pedal powered
> kayak which a chap had done some pretty extensive touring on.
>
> Of course, any given Pedalo is a "recumbent pedal boat" if you take the
> bike definition of "cranks well in front of the rider" rather than
> "lying down", so they're not exactly a Big New Thing!

Indeed, and I almost typed pedalo in the subject line. However, in this
case it looks like a well-designed boat that can be pedalled rather than
a plastic buoyancy device designed for losing children in the Med. The
Winsome looks more like the sort of thing Jerome K Jerome might have
used had he only had one friend.

Colin
post #3 of 10

Re: Recumbent pedal boat

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Sue
<sue@nonavvy.freeserve.co.uk> gently breathed:
>"Pyromancer" <pyromancer@beeching.stormshadow.com> wrote in message
>> [ xposted, urc,urw ]
>>
>> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Colin
>> Blackburn <colin.blackburn@durham.ac.uk> gently breathed:

>> >http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm

>Beware pedal boats. Wrg peddled a boat from Dudley to Beale Park to raise
>some money. There was no free wheel so we had to pedal all the time. The
>riding position was uncomfortable as the seat was directly above the pedals
>and there was nothing to hold on to except the roof. One peddler retired
>with a blistered bum. We did have fun & we raised money but I don't think
>any of us would care to repeat the exercise.

Did you actually look at the link above? I seriously doubt you'd get
any kin of blisters in one of these!

NP: Zeitgeist Zero - Kill Your Idols.
--
- Pyromancer Stormshadow.
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

Re: Recumbent pedal boat

Sue wrote:

> "Pyromancer" <pyromancer@beeching.stormshadow.com> wrote in message
> > Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Sue
> > <sue@nonavvy.freeserve.co.uk> gently breathed:
> > >"Pyromancer" <pyromancer@beeching.stormshadow.com> wrote in message

> > >Beware pedal boats. Wrg peddled a boat from Dudley to Beale Park to raise
> > >some money. There was no free wheel so we had to pedal all the time. The
> > >riding position was uncomfortable as the seat was directly above the

> pedals
> > >and there was nothing to hold on to except the roof. One peddler retired
> > >with a blistered bum. We did have fun & we raised money but I don't think
> > >any of us would care to repeat the exercise.

> > Did you actually look at the link above? I seriously doubt you'd get
> > any kin of blisters in one of these!
> >
> > NP: Zeitgeist Zero - Kill Your Idols.
> > --
> > - Pyromancer Stormshadow.

> Yes I did. It didn't show the essential padding nor did it state if you
> could free wheel.
> Once bitten twice shy.

A freewheel on a pedalboat is useless. You can't brake, can't go
backwards, and freewheeling in a boat is a very shortlived experience.
Pedalling a boat is like hillclimbing, a lot of work, and you won't go
fast. Only difference is you don't fall over if you stop pedalling.
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
post #5 of 10

Re: Recumbent pedal boat

in message <rtp631lb5l6e9urmjg1lkoi42p226gguoc@4ax.com>, Brian Dominic
me@privacy.net ('Brian Dominic me@privacy.net') wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:31:43 -0000, "Brian"
> <Brian@notharnser.fs.co.uk> put down their glass of wine, sat back and
> said:
>
>>> A freewheel on a pedalboat is useless. You can't brake, can't go
>>> backwards,

>>Why not ?

> Because if you can freewheel, you can't paddle the boat in reverse,so
> you can't stop................... unless of course, you had a
> reversing gearbox. Besides, as soon as you stop pedalling, the
> propeller stops, and so do you!

No. Boats don't work like that. If the propeller stops, the boat will
continue to 'carry it's way' (due to inertia) for a substantial period,
until skin drag and other parasitic losses slow it down. Even then it
won't 'stop', unless there is neither wind nor current.

Most sailing boats lock their propellers when the engine is not in use.

Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
;; the Worlock
post #6 of 10

Re: Recumbent pedal boat

in message <0cq7319j5b14rnkma3bgbsoq2clpgb8blr@4ax.com>, Adrian Stott
('adrian@spam.com') wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:04:54 +0000, Simon Brooke
> <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>Most sailing boats lock their propellers when the engine is not in
>>use.

> AIUI, those that do this do so solely to prevent wear on the prop
> shaft bearings.

Yes, I know this. But the point I was trying to make was that stopping
the propeller does not stop the boat.

;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey
post #7 of 10

Re: Escargot (was: Recumbent pedal boat)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:14:03 +0000, Adrian Stott <adrian@spam.com>
wrote:

>Along the same line, does anyone know what has happened to "Escargot",
>a pedal narrow-beam cruiser produced three or four years ago under the
>aegis of the Environment Agency and very visible at waterways events
>for a while? From what I heard it worked quite well, and it didn't
>require legs like the Gubernator's to propel it.

You can rent one on the river Ruhr (Germany)
http://www.gruene-flotte.de/ (click "escargot", scroll down, click
"aktuelles prospekt". Only in German, I'm afraid.

Some more pedalboat links:

http://www.humanpoweredboats.com/
http://openwatercycling.com/features.htm
http://www.tailboats.com/
http://microship.com/bobstuart/spinfin.html
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html
http://bikerdave.murioi.com/ (and some fascinating lightweight camping
gear too)

Mark van Gorokm.
post #8 of 10

Re: Recumbent pedal boat

Simon Brooke wrote:

> in message <0cq7319j5b14rnkma3bgbsoq2clpgb8blr@4ax.com>, Adrian Stott
> ('adrian@spam.com') wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:04:54 +0000, Simon Brooke
> > <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>Most sailing boats lock their propellers when the engine is not in
> >>use.

> > AIUI, those that do this do so solely to prevent wear on the prop
> > shaft bearings.

> Yes, I know this. But the point I was trying to make was that stopping
> the propeller does not stop the boat.

on a decent crank driven boat the cranks turn when you move the boat
along the pier. If you stop pedalling you add drag. Do not compare an
efficient HPB propellor with an enginedriven eggbeater

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
post #9 of 10

Re: Recumbent pedal boat

Adrian Stott wrote:

> AIUI, those that do this do so solely to prevent wear on the prop
> shaft bearings.

verry true

> In fact, locking the propeller when sailing reduces the speed of the
> boat. The propeller produces less water resistance if it is allowed
> to rotate.

As far as I know, locking is better than letting the prop rotate but with
some resistance, from stiff seals etc.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:
post #10 of 10

Re: Recumbent pedal boat

> Most sailing boats lock their propellers when

the engine is not in use.

i disagree, most let the prop turn freely, so as
not to slow you down

roy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home