Dissemble Shimano 535 Pedal

Tom Nakashima

Guest
I'm looking for a wrench for the Shimano 535 duel entry Pedal so I can dissemble, clean, lube and
adjust the ball bearings. Is there such a tool? I believe it's an 11mm thinwall six point socket? I
have the tool to take the pedal off the crank. -tom

I think this is what you need.

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item5968.htm

Don't try using some channel locks and ruining the bearing retaining collar like I did.

Kyle

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a wrench for the Shimano 535 duel entry Pedal so I can dissemble, clean, lube and
> adjust the ball bearings. Is there such a tool? I believe it's
an
> 11mm thinwall six point socket? I have the tool to take the pedal off
the
> crank. -tom

That tool works for the old SPD road pedals and the old Look style Shimano pedals. It is the wrong
tool for the 535.

The 535 pedal needs the XT service tool. Your local bike shop can order it from the United catalogue
for you. The part number is: SH-TL-PD73, on page 30 of their 2003 book.

Bruce

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:jmUZa.86284$Oz4.21569@rwcrnsc54...
> I think this is what you need.
>
> http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item5968.htm
>
> Don't try using some channel locks and ruining the bearing retaining
collar
> like I did.
>
> Kyle
>

> "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm looking for a wrench for the Shimano 535 duel entry Pedal so I can dissemble, clean, lube
> > and adjust the ball bearings. Is there such a tool? I believe it's
> an
> > 11mm thinwall six point socket? I have the tool to take the pedal off
> the
> > crank. -tom

Oh yeah, the 535 has a ton of loose ball bearings in it. Be really careful when you take
it apart....

KBH at [email protected] wrote on 8/11/03 3:02 PM:

> I think this is what you need.
>
> http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item5968.htm

Actually, that is not the correct tool for the 535's. That will allow you to remove the axle from
the 747's (and probably others as well).

They use a cup/cone arrangement on the outside bearing, where the pedal body is actually the cone.
You may get the nut and cone off, but you will never
- I'm speaking from experience here - get the appropriate tension back on the cup. It will continue
to loosen or tighten, depending upon which pedal.

> "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I'm looking for a wrench for the Shimano 535 duel entry Pedal so I can dissemble, clean, lube and
>> adjust the ball bearings. Is there such a tool? I believe it's an 11mm thinwall six point socket?
>> I have the tool to take the pedal off the crank.

It looks like two small tubes, one inside the other. They are both machined with socket fittings,
one that you correctly deduced was an 11 mm narrow wall. The inside tube has probably an 8 mm flat
section. There are flats on the outer tube for a wrench and a hole on the end of the inner tube for
a rod (I use a screwdriver) so you can set the lock nut against the cone.

I got mine a few years ago, when every LX bike had 535 pedals. The 636's originally had the same
design too. It was a Shimano Part that I got through the QBP catalog. Unfortunatly, it looks like
it's not there anymore. It was an obscure tool to have, even back then.

But - a quick shout out to the google-monster reveals a photo and product number:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQohSP.shtml

Here's the paragraph (with a photo on the page): The bearings may be adjusted. Some models require a
7mm wrench for the locknut and a 10mm wrench for the adjusting cone. However, some models have the
locknut recessed and require a tool from Shimano®, the TL- PD-73. This is double socket tool holds
the adjusting cone and loosens the locknut. The inner socket of the PD-73 is double sided, one is a
7mm, the other is 8mm, and this is used to secure or loosen the locknut. The outer portion is also
double sided, with a 10mm and 11mm option, and it is used to move the cone.

So, if you can find the Shimano TL PD-73, you're in business. If you can't, don't remove the nut.

Ok, wait - PD-73 doesn't show up on the Shimano-Europe site
(http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/index.phtml) , but the PD-63 does - click on "CATALOG" on the
bottom, then "MAINTENCE", then "ORIGINAL TOOLS" and then the FIRST "CONE ADJUSTING TOOL SET" which
should bring up "Y-460 98630" the TL-PD63... (now, whether anyone _has_ one...)

The domestic Shimano site generally seems to have poor search abilities. If someone can even find a
search function on the site, I'd love to know about
it...

Hope that helps,

-- Jim

Jim Edgar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BB5D6EB2.4D0DE%[email protected]>...
<cut>> So, if you can find the Shimano TL PD-73, you're in business. If you can't,
> don't remove the nut.

<cut>

Sound advice, but, in my experience this is one of the most over priced tools out there (mine was
hard to find and cost £20. Now that SPD pedals have fallen in price considerably, you will probably
find it not a worthwhile investment (it may even be more expensive than a new set of M515's for
which the tool needed is one a couple of quid).

Note that you can get the pedals apart without the tool, but you won't be able to tighten the
locknut against the bearing cone to re-assemble!

Andrew Webster

[email protected] schreef ...
> Jim Edgar <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<BB5D6EB2.4D0DE%[email protected]>... <cut>> So, if you can find the Shimano TL PD-73,
> you're in business. If you can't,
> > don't remove the nut.
> >
> <cut>
>
> Sound advice, but, in my experience this is one of the most over priced tools out there (mine was
> hard to find and cost £20. Now that SPD pedals have fallen in price considerably, you will
> probably find it not a worthwhile investment (it may even be more expensive than a new set of
> M515's for which the tool needed is one a couple of quid).
>
> Note that you can get the pedals apart without the tool, but you won't be able to tighten the
> locknut against the bearing cone to re-assemble!

Could it be, the PD-M324 has the same problem? We have them on Spinning bikes and most are fine so I
leave them alone. One pedal however developed play and I tried to fix this (on 324's this works from
the outside, cup and cone are under a dust cap). I feel it's coming loose again but I'm not sure.
Should I get the TL PD-73 to correct this or am I mistaken here? In our case the price wouldn't be
too much of a problem since we have 30 pairs of this pedal to service!

--
Regards, Marten

Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <cut>
> Could it be, the PD-M324 has the same problem? We have them on Spinning bikes and most are fine so
> I leave them alone. One pedal however developed play and I tried to fix this (on 324's this works
> from the outside, cup and cone are under a dust cap). I feel it's coming loose again but I'm not
> sure. Should I get the TL PD-73 to correct this or am I mistaken here? In our case the price
> wouldn't be too much of a problem since we have 30 pairs of this pedal to service!

I don't have any of these pedals(I do have a bike with the FPD rip off version).

Looking at http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/PD-M324.pdf shows that
they have the same internals as the 535s. So, my judgement would agree with yours. I couldn't work
out a way to really secure the lock nut against the cone without the tool.

The tool recommended is TL-PD33, but this looks identical to TL-PD73 illustrated at
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQohSP.shtml

Once you have the tool adjustment is straightforward cup/cone stuff. In your position it looks like
a sound investment.

Andrew Webster.

Guess I got attached, Lubing and adjusting the ball bearings is all this pedal needs. The Shimano
535 pedal is well designed, and I prefer the loose balls over the sealed bearing type pedals.
Shocked me when I exposed the spindle, never saw bicycle related ball bearings this small. My worst
nightmare was; "don't lose any balls" 2nd nightmare was, "how do I get the adjustment right?" I did
the best I could with the mechanical skills and basic tools I have, the balls are a touch loose but
rideable until I get the correct tool.

Hugh Flynn sent me the link for the correct tool. It is indeed a Shimano XT double adjusting tool,
here is the link: http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=551586810378&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Pe
dal&tc=Axle/Bearing%20Tools&item_id=SH-TL-PD73

The power of "rec.bicycles.tech". sometimes you gotta love this group! -tom

"Andrew Webster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jim Edgar <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<BB5D6EB2.4D0DE%[email protected]>...
> <cut>> So, if you can find the Shimano TL PD-73, you're in business. If you can't,
> > don't remove the nut.
> >
> <cut>
>
> Sound advice, but, in my experience this is one of the most over priced tools out there (mine was
> hard to find and cost £20. Now that SPD pedals have fallen in price considerably, you will
> probably find it not a worthwhile investment (it may even be more expensive than a new set of
> M515's for which the tool needed is one a couple of quid).
>
> Note that you can get the pedals apart without the tool, but you won't be able to tighten the
> locknut against the bearing cone to re-assemble!
>
> Andrew Webster

[email protected] schreef ...
> Guess I got attached, Lubing and adjusting the ball bearings is all this pedal needs. The Shimano
> 535 pedal is well designed, and I prefer the loose balls over the sealed bearing type pedals.
> Shocked me when I exposed the spindle, never saw bicycle related ball bearings this small. My
> worst nightmare was; "don't lose any balls" 2nd nightmare was, "how do I get the adjustment
> right?" I did the best I could with the mechanical skills and basic tools I have, the balls are a
> touch loose but rideable until I get the correct tool.

For regreasing the PD-M324 and 535 I learned this trick: drill a *very* small hole in the dustcap
and use a grease gun to completely fill out the interior with grease. Wipe off the excess grease at
the crank side and you're done for quite a while (depending on your riding conditions; our 324's are
indoors on spinners; my 535's are on a road bike).

> Hugh Flynn sent me the link for the correct tool. It is indeed a Shimano XT double adjusting tool,
> here is the link: http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=551586810378&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Pe
> dal&tc=Axle/Bearing%20Tools&item_id=SH-TL-PD73
>
> The power of "rec.bicycles.tech". sometimes you gotta love this group! -tom

Second that!

--
Regards, Marten

[email protected] schreef ...
> Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... <cut>
> > Could it be, the PD-M324 has the same problem? We have them on Spinning bikes and most are fine
> > so I leave them alone. One pedal however developed play and I tried to fix this (on 324's this
> > works from the outside, cup and cone are under a dust cap). I feel it's coming loose again but
> > I'm not sure. Should I get the TL PD-73 to correct this or am I mistaken here? In our case the
> > price wouldn't be too much of a problem since we have 30 pairs of this pedal to service!
>
> I don't have any of these pedals(I do have a bike with the FPD rip off version).
>
> Looking at http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/product/exp_view/PD-M324.pdf shows that
> they have the same internals as the 535s. So, my judgement would agree with yours. I couldn't work
> out a way to really secure the lock nut against the cone without the tool.
>
> The tool recommended is TL-PD33, but this looks identical to TL-PD73 illustrated at
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQohSP.shtml
>
> Once you have the tool adjustment is straightforward cup/cone stuff. In your position it looks
> like a sound investment.

Thanks a lot for this information. I'll order a Shimano tool right away!

--
Regards, Marten

Good idea on the grease gun Marten, I'm going to look into that. -tom