what condiments do you use to spice up your sandwiches?

nancree

Guest
I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
so I'll try that tonight.
Do you have any new ideas?
Nancree

nancree wrote:
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

I don't know that it's unique, but I like to add horseradish mayo
instead of regular dressing to meat sandwiches. Or, instead of using a
dressing-spread, I'll use eggplant pate when I have it -- especially
for vegetable sandwiches. I remember an adult once giving me a
sandwich made of shredded carrots, mayo-type-dressing, and -- was it?
-- pecans. Nuts of some sort, crushed. Raisins maybe as well. I
remember it being something that I *knew* would be horrible but was, in
fact, very good.

Haven't thought of that in years, thanks for inspiring a memory! Now,
of course, I'll have to experiment and figure out what in the world it
was.

Alexis.

nancree wrote:
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

hi nancree,try this link
http://www.tpub.com/content/food/recipes/
it have tons of recipes,you might find some ideas

On Tue 09 Aug 2005 07:50:15p, nancree wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

While radishes, spinach leaves, and onion slices are all delicious on
sandwiches, I don't consider them condiments. Mayo, mustard, horseradish,
catsup, etc., are condiments.

I like garlic or horseradish mayo on BLTs; plain horseradish on hot brisket
or corned beef sandwiches; "spots" of catsup and mustard on burgers with
crisp lettuce, slice of onion, and thin slice of tomato (hold the cheese;
arugula on egg salad sandwiches; fresh dill and chopped scallions on tuna
sandwiches); black radish sandwiches with sweet, unsalted butter spread on
coarse pumpernickel; chopped chutney and a smear of cream cheese on
roasted, curried chicken breast sandwiches; and chopped olives and roasted
pecans mixed with cream cheese and spread on baked ham. Those are a few
favorites of mine.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-1, 08/09/2005
Tested on: 8/9/2005 9:50:46 PM

On Tue 09 Aug 2005 07:50:15p, nancree wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

While radishes, spinach leaves, and onion slices are all delicious on
sandwiches, I don't consider them condiments. Mayo, mustard, horseradish,
catsup, etc., are condiments.

I like garlic or horseradish mayo on BLTs; plain horseradish on hot brisket
or corned beef sandwiches; "spots" of catsup and mustard on burgers with
crisp lettuce, slice of onion, and thin slice of tomato (hold the cheese;
arugula on egg salad sandwiches; fresh dill and chopped scallions on tuna
sandwiches); black radish sandwiches with sweet, unsalted butter spread on
coarse pumpernickel; chopped chutney and a smear of cream cheese on
roasted, curried chicken breast sandwiches; and chopped olives and roasted
pecans mixed with cream cheese and spread on baked ham. Those are a few
favorites of mine.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0532-1, 08/09/2005
Tested on: 8/9/2005 9:50:46 PM

"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

I like a bit of chutney on some sandwiches.

--
Peter Aitken

"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

I like a bit of chutney on some sandwiches.

--
Peter Aitken

"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

Fresh sliced chiles especially with cheese, fresh cilantro, finely sliced
strong onion - all sorts. Condiment wise; hot sauces, mustard, brown sauce
(like HP etc.) sometimes with bacon or sausage, 'salad cream', mayo, black
pepper, cayenne...

Shaun aRe

nancree wrote:

> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

Mesclun mix is my favourite green for sandwiches. The chinese mustard
leaves in it give a really nice peppery punch. I like a light smear of
Miracle Whip to and use multigrain bread. I like swiss cheese and
sliced green olives on ham sandwiches. Cranberry butter is good on
turkey sandwiches. I always add a slice or two of tomato and red onion.
Sometimes I add thinly sliced cucumber. Last year I started adding a
little chopped up basil occasionally. I think pesto might work as well.

"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?

Fresh basil leaves; pickled ginger.

~patches~ wrote:

Cranberry butter is good on turkey sandwiches.

I found this cranberry honey mustard (I think it was French's) in the
supermarket which is terrific on turkey or ham sandwiches.

nancree wrote:
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

Hummus, especially garlic.

"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

Those aren't really condiments in my book, but ok :) Personally, I'm not a
huge sandwich fan. But, if I'm going to have one, I like turkey, roasted and
sliced, with good tomatoes (black Russian or beefsteak, possibly zebra if I
can find them), a few leaves of romaine or red leaf lettuce, some
vinaigrette and a sprinkling of oregano. Oh, and some fresh ground pepper
too.
You'd be surprised how good a little bit of oregano is on a turkey sandwich!

You don't wanna hear about *my* tuna sandwiches. ;-)

kimberly

nancree wrote:
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

Salsa or guac. Not that either is a new idea or anything...

-L.

I like the usual catsup and mayo, but I like to try different gourmet
mustards (never that vile yellow stuff!) along with a variety of
peppers. To vary the veggies, I add tomato, various kinds of lettuce
and beansprouts.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:05:15 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
>> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
>> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
>> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
>> so I'll try that tonight.
>> Do you have any new ideas?
>> Nancree
>>

>I like a bit of chutney on some sandwiches.

Ditto to that. I'm not big on the usual suspect condiments. Can't
abide mustard of ANY kind on ANYTHING, tolerate a smidge of mayo on
sandwiches but am grossed out by the copious amounts sometimes used.
I like the way the British often serve sandwiches -- with a smear of
butter. I NEVER had to say "no mustard" in Britain! I do like to
jazz up sandwiches with various veg like you do -- every tried grated
jicama? It's nice!

TammyM (the M's not for mustard neither!)

~nancree wrote:
~> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
~> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots
of
~> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red
onion
~> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market
yesterday,
~> so I'll try that tonight.
~> Do you have any new ideas?
~> Nancree

We've been using some Tamarind and Mint Chutneys lately. The hospital
salad bars where I was hanging out for a while had tabouli which went
nicely on a sandwich. Sliced feta cheese and if you like them, sliced
olives (pitted first, please) would really give it some zing.

maxine in ri

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> > chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> > spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> > is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> > so I'll try that tonight.
> > Do you have any new ideas?
> > Nancree

> Fresh sliced chiles especially with cheese, fresh cilantro, finely sliced
> strong onion - all sorts. Condiment wise; hot sauces, mustard, brown sauce
> (like HP etc.) sometimes with bacon or sausage, 'salad cream', mayo, black
> pepper, cayenne...

Hewlett Packard makes brown sauce now???!!! I knew they were desparate,
but didn't relize how bad it's getting...

TammyM <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ditto to that. I'm not big on the usual suspect condiments. Can't
> abide mustard of ANY kind on ANYTHING, tolerate a smidge of mayo on
> sandwiches but am grossed out by the copious amounts sometimes used.

I'm happy if the mayo is as thick on the sandwich as the other
ingredients. In fact, I think sandwiches are just a mayo-delivery
system to me.

serene

"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been adding lots of sliced radishes to many sandwiches (meat,
> chicken, turkey, tuna, chopped egg, etc.. I also like to use lots of
> spinach leaves (instead of lettuce). And very thinly sliced red onion
> is also good. And I found Walla Walla onions at the market yesterday,
> so I'll try that tonight.
> Do you have any new ideas?
> Nancree

In New England (at least) there are jars of 'Fried Peppers with Onions'
that are packed in oil. I am familiar with the 'Mancini' brand, which is
produced in Florida. Thwese make delicious additions to many
sandwiches and can be kept indefinitely open in the fridge between uses
of them. Locally, I pay $1.89 for a 12 oz. jar of them. They are very
flavorful, so a little goes a long way in a sandwich. So I don't worry
all that much about the oil, in which they are packed. I love them in
'rolled-up' sandwiches on lavash flatbread or pitas!

Paul in NH