or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are toasters still made in the USA?

post #1 of 11
I'm trying to find a new toaster (or even a toaster oven) that is made
in the USA. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #2 of 11

Re: Are toasters still made in the USA?

In <1110659634.246105.288380@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> Sheldon wrote:

> jeff.frontz@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm trying to find a new toaster (or even a toaster oven) that is

> made
>> in the USA. Does such a thing exist?

> Why does it matter?

Probably just curious.

> And would you be willing to pay triple to cover
> US minimum wages?

I'm sure some people would. In fact, in today's world I'm sure a lot
more would put place of manufacture into consideration a lot more than
in yesteryear before making a purchase...

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
post #3 of 11

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I'm sure some people would. In fact, in today's world I'm sure a lot
>more would put place of manufacture into consideration a lot more than
>in yesteryear before making a purchase...

Actually, if you were to put your money where your fingers are and go
into business, you wouldn't last long.

The cost of manufacturing is waaay too high here, and the unions would
make sure that you are paying wages that would kill you.

Lots of very very smart businesses took their business out of the U.S>
for that and other reasons.

Baseball is (arguably) considered the "National Sport", right?

Not one company in the U.S. makes baseballs.
post #4 of 11

Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:

> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >I'm sure some people would. In fact, in today's world I'm sure a lot
> >more would put place of manufacture into consideration a lot more than
> >in yesteryear before making a purchase...

> Actually, if you were to put your money where your fingers are and go
> into business, you wouldn't last long.
>
> The cost of manufacturing is waaay too high here, and the unions would
> make sure that you are paying wages that would kill you.

That's unfortunate. Unionized workers tend to be well enough paid that they
can by domestically made appliances. When the rich and powerful finally
get rid of unions and we all have MacJobs, no one will be able to afford
the imports either. Money is made round to go 'round.
post #5 of 11

Re: Are toasters still made in the USA?

Yes, actually I would be willing to pay triple to ensure that my
neighbors have jobs and can buy the services that I provide.

Thanks for your useful post.
post #6 of 11

Re: Are toasters still made in the USA?

Try Kitchenaid. They're not exactly cheap, but they toast great.

<jeff.frontz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to find a new toaster (or even a toaster oven) that is made
> in the USA. Does such a thing exist?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

post #7 of 11

"Petey the Wonder Dog" <baldycotton2@mchsi.comedy> wrote in message

> The cost of manufacturing is waaay too high
> here [in the US], and the unions would make
> sure that you are paying wages that would kill you.

Right, because [insert deity of your choice here] forbid that people
make a living wage or have a safe work environment. </sarcasm>

Bleh. I'm getting tired of the myopic view of the world held by many
of my fellow Americans.
-j
post #8 of 11

"AL" <no@mail.plz> wrote in message
> Try Kitchenaid. They're not exactly cheap, but they toast great.

KA is a good toaster, but like all the others, it is made in China. The
only toaster that I know of that is not made in China is the Dualit from
England. When we needed a new one last year, I looked at about 8 or 10
brands, all made in China. Prices ranged from $7 to $100.
post #9 of 11

"<RJ>" <baranick@localnet.com> wrote in message

> So much easier to order from the China Catalog,
> and have the finished product delivered to your retailer.
>
> <rj>

I've been in the same industry for 35 years. About 90% of what we made was
protective packaging for good made by manufacturers in our region. In the
late 70's, we started making more packaging for good made in Japan and
Korea, shipped in bulk to the US and then assembled and/or packed locally.
Today, 20% of our sales are in that area of the business. Most consumer
goods arrive "store ready" at the WalMart warehouse and are then shipped to
the stores.

We diversified in the past five years, but he list of competitors that have
gone out of business is long.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Re: Are toasters still made in the USA?

In article <r0h83199uhasrpegoltb4h3qj2aisa9cse@4ax.com>,
baranick@localnet.com says...

> >"Petey the Wonder Dog" <baldycotton2@mchsi.comedy> wrote in message
> >
> >> The cost of manufacturing is waaay too high
> >> here [in the US], and the unions would make
> >> sure that you are paying wages that would kill you.

> Actually, WE make it difficult for manufacturers.
>
> A manufacturer has to deal with dozens of government agencys.
> Everything from EPA to EEO to ADA.
> Layers of taxing agencys.
> ."aggressive" union tactics,
> tardy suppliers
> energy costs....
>
> So much easier to order from the China Catalog,
> and have the finished product delivered to your retailer.

True, but the root cause of the pressure on manufacturing concerns was
greed, pure and simple. Greed on the part of employees, greed on the
part of owners, and greed on the part of shareholders.
post #11 of 11

In <1110732724.817702.20730@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> Sheldon wrote:

> Nonsense... ONLY greed is on the part of the STUPID consumer, who
> wants something costs $60 to produce but wants to pay ONLY $6.... but
> will willingly/happily pay $600 for a set of fercocktah cookware that
> costs $60 to produce and will pay $1,800 in credit card interest, most
> of it long after the pots are used up, just so they can display
> something they think will convince folks they can cook, when they
> can't even make toast.

Which goes back to the original question, are toasters still made in the
USA? ;-)

--
Cheers

Dennis