or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

post #1 of 12
I'm looking into purchasing a new mountain bike.

I was hoping some of you could help in telling me what size bike frame I
should be looking for. I've been to a couple of bike shops in my county and
i'm being told 20 inch or 22 inch. I've sat on a couple of them while
looking but I don't notice too much of a difference.

I'm 6-foot-4 with a slender/slim build -- long arms and legs.

I'll basically be using the bike on flat off-road trails -- not so many
hills or anything.

I haven't had a mountain bike since I was a teenager, so this is all new to
me again as I'm in my mid-20s now.

Thanks for any and all help and feedback.
post #2 of 12

Re: what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

Bike sizing is different for most companies because of different
measuring points and frame design. Try out as many as you can and the
one that feels right will be the best fitt for you, regardless of size
listed. If you're going to ride flat offroad trails, you should be ok
with a larger frame and a parking lot test ride should work well.

JD at 6'-7"
post #3 of 12

Re: what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

Way Big or a 21-23
post #4 of 12

Fred Fragger wrote:
> Christ, what do they feed you guys on?

Plates?
post #5 of 12

Re: what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

Per Chris Tribiono:
>I was hoping some of you could help in telling me what size bike frame I
>should be looking for.

I'm 6'5".

I'd say that you're in the area of desired handlebar height possibly being a
determining factor.

Do you already have an MTB? If so, you probably know what height you want.
If not, that could be an important issue if you like them up around saddle
height.
--
PeteCresswell
post #6 of 12

Re: what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <phil_leeIHEARTBASHGUARDS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:mR1_d.2979$xv.2754@fe07.usenetserver.com...
> crazy6r54@webtv.net wrote:
> > Way Big or a 21-23

> 21 seems about right. A 23 might possibly be too large, but probably not.
> We sold a 23" Rockhopper yesterday to a gentleman who was 6'7" tall and

270
> pounds of pure muscle. Each of his calves were about the diameter of my
> torso.

Yeah Phil, but you're a skinny little fcuk ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Not too broad either, heheh...
post #7 of 12

Fred Fragger wrote:
> Christ, what do they feed you guys on?

I dunno, but I read somewhere that it was fish, bread and wine.

JD omniverous
post #8 of 12

Fred Fragger wrote:
> Christ, what do they feed you guys on?
>
> Fred
>
> 5' 10.5"

Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol. C-c-c-c-c-!

/s
post #9 of 12

blubberpuss@gmail.com wrote:
> Fred Fragger wrote:
> > Christ, what do they feed you guys on?
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > 5' 10.5"

> Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol.

C-c-c-c-c-!

> /s

You're a regular Waring blender...

JD
post #10 of 12

Re: what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

>BTW, Gordo, I'm going to be spending a month in New Haven soon --
>figure I'll be bringing the fix on the train down to NYC a couple of
>times. Maybe we can hook up and have a couple of beers and bomb around

>the city a bit. I'll be in touch out of band.

> CC

Excellent. Hopefully you've been fattened by the blue cheese of
Buffalo.
Let me know when. The 5 boro 40-miler boozy Barneython is coming up, as
is a bunch of other early-season rides. If you're around in April, this
is high on my agenda: http://www.demel.net/pr/.
/s
post #11 of 12

Re: what frame size bike for 6'4" male?

>> Excellent. Hopefully you've been fattened by the blue cheese of
>> Buffalo.

>Shamefully. This is me now:

>http://www.homestarrunner.com/­sbemail92.html

Fascinatingly enough, I'm EATING pea soup. AND look rather like
Strongsad. Sounds like all that study of astrology and cosmetology has
finally paid off!

>> Let me know when. The 5 boro 40-miler boozy Barneython is coming up,

>You have my permission to shoot me if I ever consider going on that

ride.

Aw come on. You can ride my "I'm surrounded by cops/Barneys who want to
take/destroy my bike" bike (some highlights -- don't expect to go fast,
don't expect to balance going slow, don't expect the brakes to slow you
down, and never ever relax your white-knuckle grip on the bars or the
twisted frame will bodyslam you). And, as a guest, you're even eligible
for the delectably offensive Nashville Pussy mechanic's shirt. Of
course, I may or may not be in attendance with you depending on my
'urge to kill' and 'snuggly' readings at wake-up time.

>> If you're around in April, this is high on my agenda:

http://www.demel.net/pr

>I will be, but A20?? Ouch!

>CC

I wouldn't be too worried. You don't have to do 20mph. As long as I can
wheelsuck and whine like a little *****, 12-18 should be fine.

Are you bringing an mtb along to CT as well?

/s
post #12 of 12

<blubberpuss@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Fred Fragger wrote:
> > Christ, what do they feed you guys on?
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > 5' 10.5"

> Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol. C-c-c-c-c-!
>
> /s

And snake oil - you forgots da damn snake oil woy!

Shaun aRe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mountain Bikes