loss of strength with age - peaking at any age

Ashton Crusher

Guest
I've only been working out for a year or so but clearly cannot do
nearly as much weight as those who are 20 years younger and who
physically have about the same muscle mass. I know the older you get
the less you can do but I'm wondering what those of you who have
worked out "all your lives" experience has been. When did you peak,
how much did you lose and at what age did you start to notice you were
going downhill?

Related question... For most people who are not making working out
their reason for living I'm guessing there is some point at which
they pretty much peak and don't get beyond without putting a lot more
effort into their workouts. How long does it take to reach that point
typically? 6 months, a year, 2 years, 6 years???

"Ashton Crusher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've only been working out for a year or so but clearly cannot do
> nearly as much weight as those who are 20 years younger and who
> physically have about the same muscle mass. I know the older you get
> the less you can do but I'm wondering what those of you who have
> worked out "all your lives" experience has been. When did you peak,
> how much did you lose and at what age did you start to notice you were
> going downhill?
>
> Related question... For most people who are not making working out
> their reason for living I'm guessing there is some point at which
> they pretty much peak and don't get beyond without putting a lot more
> effort into their workouts. How long does it take to reach that point
> typically? 6 months, a year, 2 years, 6 years???

I am 57. I worked out regularly when I was young but quit for about 20 years
or so. I started working out again after I retired from a hard job that
nearly wore me out. I've been at it now for about 4 years and am just
recently starting to see some real gains appearance wise. I have fought
through pain in my shoulders, back, elbow, wrist and nearly everywhere else.
I nearly quit because of joint pains but just couldn't let myself give up. I
have learned that even if I do have some pain that I can work up to that
point and then go to another exercise and still make some progress. In the
last few months things have really started looking up for me physically. I
am VERY glad I didn't give up. My muscle mass is definitely increasing, but
my waist line has been a battle. I've also had to fight through muscle
cramps, sometimes severe. I could have easily have given up, especially from
shoulder pains. The pains have still come but at higher weights. I think one
thing that caused pain was sloppy form. I've had to learn a lot to keep from
giving up, but it's been well worth it. I hope this encourages you somewhat.
I am totally convinced that it's better to stay active rather than give up
to 'old age'. I use a heating pad often and have recently started using ice.
But I'm not exactly sure if and when ice is a good idea.

Bill

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Ashton Crusher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I've only been working out for a year or so but clearly cannot do
>> nearly as much weight as those who are 20 years younger and who
>> physically have about the same muscle mass. I know the older you get
>> the less you can do but I'm wondering what those of you who have
>> worked out "all your lives" experience has been. When did you peak,
>> how much did you lose and at what age did you start to notice you were
>> going downhill?
>>
>> Related question... For most people who are not making working out
>> their reason for living I'm guessing there is some point at which
>> they pretty much peak and don't get beyond without putting a lot more
>> effort into their workouts. How long does it take to reach that point
>> typically? 6 months, a year, 2 years, 6 years???

>I am 57. I worked out regularly when I was young but quit for about 20 years
>or so. I started working out again after I retired from a hard job that
>nearly wore me out. I've been at it now for about 4 years and am just
>recently starting to see some real gains appearance wise. I have fought
>through pain in my shoulders, back, elbow, wrist and nearly everywhere else.
>I nearly quit because of joint pains but just couldn't let myself give up. I
>have learned that even if I do have some pain that I can work up to that
>point and then go to another exercise and still make some progress. In the
>last few months things have really started looking up for me physically. I
>am VERY glad I didn't give up. My muscle mass is definitely increasing, but
>my waist line has been a battle. I've also had to fight through muscle
>cramps, sometimes severe. I could have easily have given up, especially from
>shoulder pains. The pains have still come but at higher weights. I think one
>thing that caused pain was sloppy form. I've had to learn a lot to keep from
>giving up, but it's been well worth it. I hope this encourages you somewhat.
>I am totally convinced that it's better to stay active rather than give up
>to 'old age'. I use a heating pad often and have recently started using ice.
>But I'm not exactly sure if and when ice is a good idea.

Yes and soon. Ice is the first course of treatment: it reduces
inflammation. Then apply heat to improve circulation. Over a few
days, the two can be alternated. A glucosamine/chondroitin supplement
can help with maintaining the connective tissues, and OTC
anti-inflammatories (aspirin, ibuprofen) can help, too.

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>I am 57. I worked out regularly when I was young but quit for about 20
>>years
>>or so. I started working out again after I retired from a hard job that
>>nearly wore me out. I've been at it now for about 4 years and am just
>>recently starting to see some real gains appearance wise. I have fought
>>through pain in my shoulders, back, elbow, wrist and nearly everywhere
>>else.
>>I nearly quit because of joint pains but just couldn't let myself give up.
>>have learned that even if I do have some pain that I can work up to that
>>point and then go to another exercise and still make some progress. In the
>>last few months things have really started looking up for me physically.
>>am VERY glad I didn't give up. My muscle mass is definitely increasing,
>>but
>>my waist line has been a battle. I've also had to fight through muscle
>>cramps, sometimes severe. I could have easily have given up, especially
>>from
>>shoulder pains. The pains have still come but at higher weights. I think
>>one
>>thing that caused pain was sloppy form. I've had to learn a lot to keep
>>from
>>giving up, but it's been well worth it. I hope this encourages you
>>somewhat.
>>I am totally convinced that it's better to stay active rather than give up
>>to 'old age'. I use a heating pad often and have recently started using
>>ice.
>>But I'm not exactly sure if and when ice is a good idea.

> Yes and soon. Ice is the first course of treatment: it reduces
> inflammation. Then apply heat to improve circulation. Over a few
> days, the two can be alternated. A glucosamine/chondroitin supplement
> can help with maintaining the connective tissues, and OTC
> anti-inflammatories (aspirin, ibuprofen) can help, too.

Thanks!

Bill