or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › How to remove badly burnt on stains on Corningware pot from oven
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to remove badly burnt on stains on Corningware pot from oven - Page 2

post #16 of 18

Re: How to remove badly burnt on stains on Corningware pot from oven

Several years ago I burned and blackened a couple of Stainless Steel
Pots and a Corningwear Coffee Percolator......for the same reasons
that your friend did.....The first time it happened I tried everything
like many of the suggestions mentioned here and to no avail. Then a
buddy of mine who was a High School Tech teacher suggested that I
soak the Pot for 24 hours or even 48 hours if necessary with Javex
(Javel water)........which is a brand name for a bleaching agent. The
burned blackened surfaces of the coffee percolator started to break up
after 24 hours and you could start to see white.....by the next day I
was able to clean what was left of the black stuff with less abrasive
but coarse scrubbing pads....if you're doing the scrubbing with Javex
still in the pot..wear something over your eyes and wear thick rubber
gloves......the pot was eventually as good as it was before my
accident happened. I used the Javex straight or pure and did not
dilute it because my pots were real badly burned......

I haven't had to do that in recent times because I am a lot more
vigilent about cooking times and avoid or try to avoid things that
would distract me and cause me to forget the action on the stove or in
the oven.

Good luck !

TJ
post #17 of 18

Re: How to remove badly burnt on stains on Corningware pot from oven

There is a product we refer to as "death in a can".
I don't usually recommend it for anything but the most dire situations.
When it says only use outdoors or under an outside hood, with gloves and a
face shield, it means it. It is for commercial kitchens and it gives nasty a
whole new meaning.

It removes almost anything, including removing the top layer of aluminum.
It cleaned the carbon off my oversized burner liners in one try -when all
the other oven cleaners and learned chemical/mechanical attempts didn't even
touch it.

E-mail me to remind me, and I will give you the name on the can. (I keep
it in the haz-mat locker (really) and will check it tomorrow.) You can
contact a restaurant supply house to get a can.

It will work, and it does not damage glass.

"Corningware" <corningware5000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in the
> oven at 400 degrees for six hours.
>
> She was roasting vegetables and garlic in olive oil. Needless to say
> the dish is a mess with burnt on stains that cannot be removed by
> scrubbing etc. It was completely black after charred remains of the
> vegetables were scraped off.
>
> I have tried many things but alas this sentimental dish seems to be
> dead. The black and brown stains seem to be painted on.
>
> I can send you a pic. It's pretty ugly.
>
> Can you help?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cw5k

post #18 of 18

I don't know if you have Goodwill store in your area or Salvation Army store but I have seen many Corningware there and actually replaced some of mine.  I love my Corningware and have had them since I married in 1967, lol....They  have all of the patterns occasionally. Good Luck!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition