Bontrager Race Lite Road Fork

Andrew Martin

Guest
I asked questions about this fork before the season. It did ok, but has developed some very slight
surface cranks on the dropouts. When I clean it up, it doesn't look as if they go into the aluminum
at all (superficial only), but that just doensn't make much sense to me. Regardless, it has me
worried enough to get a new for for next season.

Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new

Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my frame, but it's light without the
hassle of the carbon steerer. Other options would be to go Ouzo, EC90, etc...

Thanks -a

> Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new

> Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my frame, but it's light without
> the hassle of the carbon steerer.

steer tube, but apparently with an aluminum section at the top (where it's clamped). The problem
with carbon is that it really doesn't like to be squeezed, so you have to be very careful with the
stem clamp and really, really, really should use a torque wrench when tightening a stem onto one (as
if anybody does that!). TREK is a very conservative company, recognizes that people don't use torque
wrenches, and so came up with a way to build a really light fork but still minimize the problems of
over-tightening a stem... and thus the aluminum section on the steer tube.

I haven't seen one in real life yet, so I'm just going on what was leaked to me a while ago.

"Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I asked questions about this fork before the season. It did ok, but has developed some very slight
> surface cranks on the dropouts. When I clean it up, it doesn't look as if they go into the
> aluminum at all (superficial only), but that just doensn't make much sense to me. Regardless, it
> has me worried enough to get a new for for next season.
>
> Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new

> Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my frame, but it's light without
> the hassle of the carbon steerer. Other options would be to go Ouzo, EC90, etc...
>
> Thanks -a

> > Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new

> > Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my frame, but it's light without
> > the hassle of the carbon steerer.
>

> steer tube, but apparently with an aluminum section at the top (where it's clamped). The problem
> with carbon is that it really doesn't like to be squeezed, so you have to be very careful with the
> stem clamp and really, really, really should use a torque wrench when tightening a stem onto one
> (as if anybody does that!). TREK is a very conservative company,
recognizes
> that people don't use torque wrenches, and so came up with a way to build
> really light fork but still minimize the problems of over-tightening a stem... and thus the
> aluminum section on the steer tube.

This sounds suspisciously like True Temper's Alpa Q. (and I don't think Trek "came up with" it.).
Any connection?

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

> This sounds suspisciously like True Temper's Alpa Q. (and I don't think Trek "came up with" it.).
> Any connection?

Which version of Alpha Q? I went to True Temper's website, and couldn't find anything like what I
described (although there are a number of different Alpha Q forks, so it could be I missed it).

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Gce%[email protected]...
> > This sounds suspisciously like True Temper's Alpa Q. (and I don't think Trek "came up with"
> > it.). Any connection?
>
> Which version of Alpha Q? I went to True Temper's website, and couldn't find anything like what I
> described (although there are a number of different Alpha Q forks, so it could be I missed it).

I mean, regarding the glued-in steer-tube insert.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new

> > Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my frame, but it's light without
> > the hassle of the carbon steerer.
>

> steer tube, but apparently with an aluminum section at the top (where it's clamped). The problem
> with carbon is that it really doesn't like to be squeezed, so you have to be very careful with the
> stem clamp and really, really, really should use a torque wrench when tightening a stem onto one
> (as if anybody does that!). TREK is a very conservative company, recognizes that people don't use
> torque wrenches, and so came up with a way to build a really light fork but still minimize the
> problems of over-tightening a stem... and thus the aluminum section on the steer tube.
>
> I haven't seen one in real life yet, so I'm just going on what was leaked to me a while ago.

> "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I asked questions about this fork before the season. It did ok, but has developed some very
> > slight surface cranks on the dropouts. When I clean it up, it doesn't look as if they go into
> > the aluminum at all (superficial only), but that just doensn't make much sense to me.
> > Regardless, it has me worried enough to get a new for for next season.
> >
> > Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new

> > Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my frame, but it's light without
> > the hassle of the carbon steerer. Other options would be to go Ouzo, EC90, etc...
> >
> > Thanks -a

Looks like Al Steerer to me...?

http://www.bontrager.com/images/prod_large/03BT_fork_tripleXLite.jpg Alloy steerer works with all
stem clamp styles OCLV110 carbon crown substantially reduces weight

carbon fork does, indeed, have a nearly full-length aluminum steer tube bonded onto a carbon-fiber
stud that comes out of the top of the fork. It is also very much a Bontrager/TREK creation and not
made by an outside fork company.

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Which brings me to my follow-on question: Any word on the new

> > > Klein fork? It's black with red, so it will look like hell with my frame, but it's light
> > > without the hassle of the carbon steerer.
> >

> > steer tube, but apparently with an aluminum section at the top (where
it's
> > clamped). The problem with carbon is that it really doesn't like to be squeezed, so you have to
> > be very careful with the stem clamp and really, really, really should use a torque wrench when
> > tightening a stem onto
one
> > (as if anybody does that!). TREK is a very conservative company,
> recognizes
> > that people don't use torque wrenches, and so came up with a way to
build
> > really light fork but still minimize the problems of over-tightening a stem... and thus the
> > aluminum section on the steer tube.
>
> This sounds suspisciously like True Temper's Alpa Q. (and I don't think Trek "came up with" it.).
> Any connection?
>
> > I haven't seen one in real life yet, so I'm just going on what was
leaked
> > me a while ago.
> >

> --
> Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

news:<[email protected]>...

> carbon fork does, indeed, have a nearly full-length aluminum steer tube bonded onto a carbon-fiber
> stud that comes out of the top of the fork. It is also very much a Bontrager/TREK creation and not
> made by an outside fork company.

> "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > steer tube, but apparently with an aluminum section at the top (where
> it's
> > > clamped). The problem with carbon is that it really doesn't like to be squeezed, so you have
> > > to be very careful with the stem clamp and really, really, really should use a torque wrench
> > > when tightening a stem onto
> one
> > > (as if anybody does that!). TREK is a very conservative company,
> recognizes
> > > that people don't use torque wrenches, and so came up with a way to
> build a
> > > really light fork but still minimize the problems of over-tightening a stem... and thus the
> > > aluminum section on the steer tube.
> >
> > This sounds suspisciously like True Temper's Alpa Q. (and I don't think Trek "came up with"
> > it.). Any connection?
> >
> > > I haven't seen one in real life yet, so I'm just going on what was
> leaked to
> > > me a while ago.
> > >

> > --
> > Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

Thanks Mike - good to have the insiders here. Did they mention color options? I've got a 5500 frame
now (USPS Blue fork) and the black may look a little rough. I'm a ***** for the aesthetic of my
ride, so - any chance it will come in Silver or a matching blue?

-a

> Thanks Mike - good to have the insiders here. Did they mention color options? I've got a 5500
> frame now (USPS Blue fork) and the black may look a little rough. I'm a ***** for the aesthetic of
> my ride, so - any chance it will come in Silver or a matching blue?

TREK will paint forks in different colors, to take care of those who need a new one because they
crashed etc. However, the color palette is relatively limited, typically just the current colors
they're painting carbon road bikes. There will also be a bit of an upcharge, typically about $50 or
so. Your local dealer can run things down for you without too much trouble.

"Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > carbon fork does, indeed, have a nearly full-length aluminum steer tube bonded onto a
> > carbon-fiber stud that comes out of the top of the fork.
It
> > is also very much a Bontrager/TREK creation and not made by an outside
fork
> > company.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
> >

> > "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

the

carbon