or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shipping Question

post #1 of 14
I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't take
a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).

How the heck do you ship something like that?
post #2 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

"Tom" <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't take
> a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
>
> How the heck do you ship something like that?

First, be sure the payment is real and the money is in your bank account
before shipping... but you already know that, right?

Try contacting a shipping broker. Oftentimes they can arrange non-expedited
shipping with a freight carrier at a significant savings.

Stuart Winsor
Ground Zero Cycles
sales@gdzer0.com
post #3 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

After a number of years in the mail order business, we shipped frames and
parts to 45 countries including Bosnia, Croatia, and Northern Ireland......

I get the visual of riders bunny-hopping over land mines and bomb
craters.......

We found the best source for shipping fluctuated with the economy. Try DHL,
FED EX - First

Then find out what commercial airlines fly into Croatia these days.

On a number of occasions, it was less expensive to drive to our local
airport (Dallas-Fort Worth International) and deliver the frames and parts
to the freight counter of say British Airways or American Airlines.

Check the local customs requirements. Customs may need to open the box to
inspect before it leaves and again when it gets to Croatia.

Make certain that you have it insured FULLY, and that you track it yourself
so that you can file the insurance claim if someone wearing snow boots and
cramp-ons steps on your frame (It happened to us)

Allan

"Tom" <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't take
> a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
>
> How the heck do you ship something like that?

post #4 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

Tom wrote:
> I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't take
> a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
>
> How the heck do you ship something like that?

Go talk to USPS or DHL. We have sent things via USPS this size for about
$100.
post #5 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

Thanks, I'll give USPS a call.

DHL quoted OVER $800!!!

It would be cheaper to buy a cheapo round trip plane ticket, fly to
Zagreb with this thing as one piece of luggage, stay at a 4 star hotel
for a week and return without it.

Absolutely stunning that companies who claim to be shippers aren't
interested in doing real business.

Tom

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Tom wrote:
> > I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't

take
> > a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
> >
> > How the heck do you ship something like that?
> >

> Go talk to USPS or DHL. We have sent things via USPS this size for

about
> $100.
post #6 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

"MJR" <pista@randazza.com> wrote in message

> Tom wrote:
>> I am trying to send a frame from the USA to Croatia. USPS doesn't

> take
>> a package that large and UPS charges $800 (That's right).
>>
>> How the heck do you ship something like that?

> That shipping charge sounds like something someone who makes a living
> by selling stuff on Ebay quoted you!

Funny you should mention that... I was recently in Prague on the tail end of
a ski vacation, and beautiful crystal was widely available in many of the
shops there. I though much of it was quite reasonably priced, so long as you
brought it home yourself as a carry-on. Whenever I asked about the shipping
many stores advertised, the cost of the shipping back to the U.S. added
anywhere from 50 to 100% of the cost of the item. It occurred to me that
this was where they may be making their real profits. This wasn't the case
in Rome, though, as shipping stained glass from there back to the States was
nowhere near as expensive as shipping from Prague.

Chris
post #7 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
> In article <1112105688.414441.74700@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> cyclintom@yahoo.com says...
>> Thanks, I'll give USPS a call.
>>
>> DHL quoted OVER $800!!!

> Something doesn't seem right here. Is this for slow shipping or
> overnight? I could see this for overnight, but not for slow-boat
> shipping from any shipper. How big of a box, and how much weight are
> you telling them it is?
>
>> It would be cheaper to buy a cheapo round trip plane ticket, fly to
>> Zagreb with this thing as one piece of luggage, stay at a 4 star hotel
>> for a week and return without it.
>>
>> Absolutely stunning that companies who claim to be shippers aren't
>> interested in doing real business.
>>
>> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>> take

>> > Go talk to USPS or DHL. We have sent things via USPS this size for
>> > about $100.

OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package because
it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.

DHL and UPS quote about $800 and when I tell them I want slow boat they
don't even know what the hell I'm talking about.

I called airfreight and they tell me that they won't ship for an individual
any more.

The box is 42" x 8" x 24" and weighs 15 lbs overall.

As I said, the shipping that I've been able to find costs more than double
the NEW price of the frame.
post #8 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

What company did you say you were working for...........?

Cycles_de_Kunich_LTD.

Wink, Wink......

Tom if they want a company, find out what requirements to establish at least
the appearance of a company in their eyes.

Quite often its only a name and you can use your personal credit card.

Allan

"Tom Kunich" <tkunich@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
> > In article <1112105688.414441.74700@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > cyclintom@yahoo.com says...
> >> Thanks, I'll give USPS a call.
> >>
> >> DHL quoted OVER $800!!!

> > Something doesn't seem right here. Is this for slow shipping or
> > overnight? I could see this for overnight, but not for slow-boat
> > shipping from any shipper. How big of a box, and how much weight are
> > you telling them it is?
> >
> >> It would be cheaper to buy a cheapo round trip plane ticket, fly to
> >> Zagreb with this thing as one piece of luggage, stay at a 4 star hotel
> >> for a week and return without it.
> >>
> >> Absolutely stunning that companies who claim to be shippers aren't
> >> interested in doing real business.

> >> take

> OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package

because
> it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.
>
> DHL and UPS quote about $800 and when I tell them I want slow boat they
> don't even know what the hell I'm talking about.
>
> I called airfreight and they tell me that they won't ship for an

individual
> any more.
>
> The box is 42" x 8" x 24" and weighs 15 lbs overall.
>
> As I said, the shipping that I've been able to find costs more than double
> the NEW price of the frame.

post #9 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

What company did you say you were working for...........?

Cycles_de_Kunich_LTD.

Wink, Wink......

Tom if they want a company, find out what requirements to establish at least
the appearance of a company in their eyes.

Quite often its only a name and you can use your personal credit card.

Allan

"Tom Kunich" <tkunich@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
> > In article <1112105688.414441.74700@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > cyclintom@yahoo.com says...
> >> Thanks, I'll give USPS a call.
> >>
> >> DHL quoted OVER $800!!!

> > Something doesn't seem right here. Is this for slow shipping or
> > overnight? I could see this for overnight, but not for slow-boat
> > shipping from any shipper. How big of a box, and how much weight are
> > you telling them it is?
> >
> >> It would be cheaper to buy a cheapo round trip plane ticket, fly to
> >> Zagreb with this thing as one piece of luggage, stay at a 4 star hotel
> >> for a week and return without it.
> >>
> >> Absolutely stunning that companies who claim to be shippers aren't
> >> interested in doing real business.

> >> take

> OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package

because
> it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.
>
> DHL and UPS quote about $800 and when I tell them I want slow boat they
> don't even know what the hell I'm talking about.
>
> I called airfreight and they tell me that they won't ship for an

individual
> any more.
>
> The box is 42" x 8" x 24" and weighs 15 lbs overall.
>
> As I said, the shipping that I've been able to find costs more than double
> the NEW price of the frame.

post #10 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

"Donald Gillies" <gillies@cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> "Tom Kunich" <tkunich@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> >OK, so far what I've found out is that USPS won't handle the package

because
> >it has a combined measurement of length and girth over 79 inches.

> Why don't you repack the box, you'll save about $700 doing so and
> therefore your time would be well spent.
>
> Christmas 2003 I inadvertently packed my schwinn at home in illinois
> into a bike box that was 1" too large. UPS took the opportunity to
> increase the shipping price from $35 to $112 on that package (sadly,
> my mom had to ship it and i wasn't around to repack it.)
>
> When you think about it, a 30 x 40 x 1" addition cost me $77 to ship.
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Ergo, why UPS stock does so well..... just more proof that UPS is the
Antichrist
post #11 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

Actually the AntiChrist is not just one entity but a triumvirate:
Ebay, PayPal and Ups. :P

"Ground Zero" <gdzero@earthlink.net> wrote in message
*snip*
> Ergo, why UPS stock does so well..... just more proof that UPS is the
> Antichrist

post #12 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

"Brett Thompson" <brettathompson3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Actually the AntiChrist is not just one entity but a triumvirate:
> Ebay, PayPal and Ups. :P

I stand corrected... thank you. So, what does that make Kinko's/FedEx?

Stuart "Now I am REALLY Confused" Winsor
Ground Zero Cycles
sales@reallyconfused.com
post #13 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

Look into FED EX or that Yellow truck DHL
post #14 of 14

Re: Shipping Question

Damien?

> > "Ground Zero" <gdzero@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > *snip*
> > > Ergo, why UPS stock does so well..... just more proof that UPS is the
> > > Antichrist
> > >

> "Brett Thompson" <brettathompson3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Actually the AntiChrist is not just one entity but a triumvirate:
> > Ebay, PayPal and Ups. :P
> >

> I stand corrected... thank you. So, what does that make Kinko's/FedEx?
>
> Stuart "Now I am REALLY Confused" Winsor
> Ground Zero Cycles
> sales@reallyconfused.com

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home