Help with joining 10speed Campy chain please

Lewis Campbell

Guest
I went riding today with a friend who had just installed a Campy 10 speed gruppo on this bike.

We only got about 5 miles before the chain came apart.

It seems like I read about people using a Shimano 9 speed 'power link' to join a 10 speed chain but
I have not been able to find where I saw that.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what is the best way to join the 10 speed chain.

Thanks.

Lewis.

***************************

I dumped my Campy chain in favor of the IRD. Yoiu can use a Super Link III(available from Branford Bike). I've used them for thousands of miles. IRD makes quick connect links as well.

Hope this helps.

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> I went riding today with a friend who had just installed a Campy 10 speed gruppo on this bike.
>
> We only got about 5 miles before the chain came apart.
>
> It seems like I read about people using a Shimano 9 speed 'power link' to join a 10 speed chain
> but I have not been able to find where I saw that.

I use the SRAM 9-speed Powerlink on my Campagnolo 10-speed chain. No problems at all.

Leo

[email protected] (Lewis Campbell) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I went riding today with a friend who had just installed a Campy 10 speed gruppo on this bike.
>
> We only got about 5 miles before the chain came apart.

What kind of link was used to close the chain?? Campy first used the so called Permalink, but that
was replaced last year by the HDL link which is much better. For the first time ever, I "broke" a
chain this spring - the Permalink simply fell apart after 7 months of use.

> It seems like I read about people using a Shimano 9 speed 'power link' to join a 10 speed chain
> but I have not been able to find where I saw that.

I have never heard about a ShimaNO 'power link', as far as I know they use 'HG connecting pins'.
Powerlinks are made by SRAM, who also makes the PC 99 Hollowpin chain that can be used by a 10 speed
system. You could also try the Wipperman Conex 10 link (and chain?).

> I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what is the best way to join the 10 speed chain.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lewis.
>
> ***************************

Regards

Ove Simonsen

Lewis-<< I went riding today with a friend who had just installed a Campy 10 speed gruppo on
this bike.

We only got about 5 miles before the chain came apart.

It seems like I read about people using a Shimano 9 speed 'power link'
>><BR><BR>

Not a shimano one but an IRD or Connex one.

IRD/Connex, or use the provided Campagnolo push thru pin, installed correctly

Thanks to all of you for the education.

I really appreciate it.

Lewis.