Corky Coker, Ride, Injury, Diet & Fitness

rhysling

Guest
Just finished around a 45 mile ride- my longest- after being off the
Coker 4 a year.

Mid way through, while letting blood return to MY saddle, a truck pulled
up, the driver said Hi, and introduced himself as Corky Coker, owner of
the Coker Tyre Company, who, as it happens, lives in my vally.

The ride included a 1600 foot ascent up the tip of Lookout Mountain and
ended with a crushing 1400' descent at Birkhaulter Gap. My legs are
jelly.

Speeking-o-my-legs: In Febuary of this year I crashed my hang glider
into a cliff; was a couple of weeks before I could walk, painfully, with
assistance, over 2 months before I could get up off the ground without
climbing something. The outside tendon on my left knee rolled up like
a window shade, severed.

I was aggressive with rehabilitation; at first, a morning walk would
leave me unable to walk and in pain for a day or more. Slowly, very
slowly, I introduced more and more activity, including regular weight
training. I upped my protien intake to 2 grams per killogram of body
weight a day and began taking glucosamine-chondroitin to help with soft
tissue recovery. I began counting calories, and brought my body fat
down to 6-7% from 28%, and weight from 175-180 to 153.

I never expected to have full use of my leg again- let alone excell. I
attributed mutch of this not only to diet, but to pushing my body to do
anything that didn't cause it to be out of service for more than a
couple days- regardless of discomfort. Though pain was still a usefull
indicator for when to back off, sometimes EVERYTHING was painfull.

Anyway, if you're been beat down, it's hard, but you can come back.

Christopher

--
rhysling - Pontificating < Vigilantly

"That whole design was stupid." -Greg Harper, in a mental disertation
with God on the Cheeta, shortly before his first hub siezed.

"maybe we can just bomb him with copious quantities of unconditional
love and eventually help him to learn to ride" -Guru Gild on the Nature
of Love

rhysling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/411

Thanks for the inspiring words...it is nice to see that avatar again in
the forums, and nice to hear your recovery is going well.

I'm getting ready to set off on a 45-miler in about an hour. Hopefully
it will go as well as your's did. Perhaps by the end of it I'll be
inspired to write a tongue-twister featuring Corky Coker.

I've thought about taking glucosamine to help with my ravaged knees, but
have been put off by the price of it. How long did it take before you
noticed any positive results?

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

"By George! The man's a genius!"
Murde Mental

rocking story dude... good to hear bout the reovery

Chase

--
Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

Welcome back, monkey boy. Stick around and we'll lie to you alot.
Where's Lewis? He didn't crash no hang glider now, did he?

Where is the 6-7% body fat right now? Is it above the neck?

Keep up the good work, Chris. It's good to see you here after the long
hiatus.

--
harper - A walk in the park.

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"You guys aren't thinking this through. Hey, where's your other... BANG.
" - Brian MacKenzie

tomblackwood wrote:
> *
> I've thought about taking glucosamine to help with my ravaged knees,
> but have been put off by the price of it. How long did it take before
> you noticed any positive results? *

After only a week or so taking 2-3 tablets a day I noticed shortened
recovery times after intensive cardo excersize/weight training. It was
hard to determined what the effect was early in the recovery since I had
no baseline to judge from.

I became a believer after a friend started giving G/C to his geriatric
dog, which could barely move for all it's joint pain. The change was
clear- vastly increased mobility, improved temperment (due to
alleviation of pain); with no possibility of a placebo effect, I new I
wanted the same benefit for me. What's that worth? You can get a big
jug of tablets @ Sam's Club on the cheep... will check price.

And thanx for the kind words- it's good to see that naughty clown is
still lurking about, too.

--
rhysling - Pontificating < Vigilantly

"That whole design was stupid." -Greg Harper, in a mental disertation
with God on the Cheeta, shortly before his first hub siezed.

"maybe we can just bomb him with copious quantities of unconditional
love and eventually help him to learn to ride" -Guru Gild on the Nature
of Love

rhysling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/411

I've been around long enough to remember Mr. Rhysling.

I didn't know what happened. His story is one of wonder and inspiration
to others with serious injuries. I am glad he's back.

I never had a hang gliding accident, and I still can't do that kind of
mileage on a unicycle.

You are amazing!

Ride safe and live long!!:)

--
teachndad - ONE for the...Off Road

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

T-Star: I originally wrote most of this in responce to your MUC post-
all on my PDA/Phone- but it is not posting mail correctly.

Lewis quit his job in a fit of mid life crisis. Currently he is
enjoying power/net outages and gas rationing, empty grocery store
shelves in Jackson, Mississippi. His home was undamaged- unlike some
of his naighbores.

Harpo: I'm just trying to fit into my swim suit- you know how tough
that can be, being endowed with sutch a long hiatus, too.