Roast beef question

Andy

Guest
Yesterday I used a rump roast to make French Dip roast beef sandwiches.
Although very good, it had the consistency of pot roast. The same was true
of chuck roast and top round roast.

What cut will cook to a consistency similar to the roast beef you get in
the deli section at the market? I'm growing tired of shredded beef.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy wrote:
> Yesterday I used a rump roast to make French Dip roast beef sandwiches.
> Although very good, it had the consistency of pot roast. The same was true
> of chuck roast and top round roast.
>
> What cut will cook to a consistency similar to the roast beef you get in
> the deli section at the market? I'm growing tired of shredded beef.

How did you cook it? To what degree of doneness? Hard to help without info.

Pastorio

Andy wrote:

> Yesterday I used a rump roast to make French Dip roast beef sandwiches.
> Although very good, it had the consistency of pot roast. The same was true
> of chuck roast and top round roast.
>
> What cut will cook to a consistency similar to the roast beef you get in
> the deli section at the market? I'm growing tired of shredded beef.

If your top round came out like pot roast then it's probably
your cooking method, not the cut.

Brown the meat well, then roast it to no more then medium
rare, about 135 F internal temperature. Slice it as thinly
as possible across the grain.

Andy wrote:
> Yesterday I used a rump roast to make French Dip roast beef sandwiches.
> Although very good, it had the consistency of pot roast. The same was true
> of chuck roast and top round roast.
>
> What cut will cook to a consistency similar to the roast beef you get in
> the deli section at the market? I'm growing tired of shredded beef.

Where's your recipe... if your beef shreds you're obviously making pot
roast, not oven roast. Rump and round make excellent dip... you just
gotta learn how to cook.

Sheldon

On Wed 07 Sep 2005 01:19:40p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Yesterday I used a rump roast to make French Dip roast beef sandwiches.
> Although very good, it had the consistency of pot roast. The same was true
> of chuck roast and top round roast.
>
> What cut will cook to a consistency similar to the roast beef you get in
> the deli section at the market? I'm growing tired of shredded beef.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Round should have. Did you overcook it?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Yesterday I used a rump roast to make French Dip roast beef sandwiches.
> Although very good, it had the consistency of pot roast. The same was true
> of chuck roast and top round roast.
>
> What cut will cook to a consistency similar to the roast beef you get in
> the deli section at the market? I'm growing tired of shredded beef.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

How did you cook it?

Dimitri

Sheldon wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> Yesterday I used a rump roast to make French Dip roast beef
>> sandwiches. Although very good, it had the consistency of pot roast.
>> The same was true of chuck roast and top round roast.
>>
>> What cut will cook to a consistency similar to the roast beef you
>> get in the deli section at the market? I'm growing tired of shredded
>> beef.

> Where's your recipe... if your beef shreds you're obviously making pot
> roast, not oven roast. Rump and round make excellent dip... you just
> gotta learn how to cook.
>
> Sheldon

This is what he used (per an earlier post):

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/EasySlowCookerFrenchDip.asp

Jill

Bob (this one) wrote:

> How did you cook it? To what degree of doneness? Hard to help without
> info.
>
> Pastorio

Pastorio,

The rump sat in the slow cooker on LO for 7 hours. A four pounder. Half
submerged in juices.

Andy

"Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> How did you cook it? To what degree of doneness? Hard to help without
>> info.
>>
>> Pastorio

> Pastorio,
>
> The rump sat in the slow cooker on LO for 7 hours. A four pounder. Half
> submerged in juices.
>
> Andy

So basically you Braised it (cooked in liquid) just like a pot roast.

Try a Marinated (red wine & spices/herbs) rump or watermelon cut round. Place
it on a rack in the oven and dry roast to about 13 to 140 degrees internal
temperature. Then slice thin like the deli meat you're talking about.

Dimitri

On Wed 07 Sep 2005 02:22:33p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> How did you cook it? To what degree of doneness? Hard to help without
>> info.
>>
>> Pastorio

> Pastorio,
>
> The rump sat in the slow cooker on LO for 7 hours. A four pounder. Half
> submerged in juices.
>
> Andy

So, in effect, you stewed it, Andy. IMHO, the crockpot is not the best
method of achieving a "deli-style" roast beef. I know you just got, but it
is not the be-all and end-all appliance for cooking everything.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yesterday I used a rump roast to make French Dip roast beef sandwiches.
> Although very good, it had the consistency of pot roast. The same was true
> of chuck roast and top round roast.
>
> What cut will cook to a consistency similar to the roast beef you get in
> the deli section at the market? I'm growing tired of shredded beef.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

You made a pot roast. You stewed it.

Try cooking it on a rotisserie

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> So, in effect, you stewed it, Andy. IMHO, the crockpot is not the
> best method of achieving a "deli-style" roast beef. I know you just
> got, but it is not the be-all and end-all appliance for cooking
> everything.

Wayne,

Obviously not! I'll hunt for a "proper" roast beef recipe.

Thanks,

Andy

Dimitri wrote:

> So basically you Braised it (cooked in liquid) just like a pot roast.
>
> Try a Marinated (red wine & spices/herbs) rump or watermelon cut
> round. Place it on a rack in the oven and dry roast to about 13 to
> 140 degrees internal temperature. Then slice thin like the deli meat
> you're talking about.
>
> Dimitri

Dimitri,

I'll try that. Watermelon?!? A Kalifornia kut? :)

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

Kswck wrote:

> You made a pot roast. You stewed it.

I sure as hell did. I followed a 5-star (user-rated) recipe. The BUMS!!!

> Try cooking it on a rotisserie

I can DO that!

Thanks,

Andy

Andy wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>
>> You made a pot roast. You stewed it.

> I sure as hell did. I followed a 5-star (user-rated) recipe. The
> BUMS!!!

Perhaps they've never actually *had* a French Dip?

Jill

On Wed 07 Sep 2005 02:39:13p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> So, in effect, you stewed it, Andy. IMHO, the crockpot is not the
>> best method of achieving a "deli-style" roast beef. I know you just
>> got, but it is not the be-all and end-all appliance for cooking
>> everything.

> Wayne,
>
> Obviously not! I'll hunt for a "proper" roast beef recipe.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

You might try this one, but use the oven for it...

3 pounds beef eye of round roast
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). If roast is untied, tie at 3
inch intervals with cotton twine. Place roast in pan, and season with salt,
garlic powder, and pepper. Add more or less seasonings to taste.
Roast in oven for 60 minutes (20 minutes per pound). Remove from oven,
cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

"Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> So basically you Braised it (cooked in liquid) just like a pot roast.
>>
>> Try a Marinated (red wine & spices/herbs) rump or watermelon cut
>> round. Place it on a rack in the oven and dry roast to about 13 to
>> 140 degrees internal temperature. Then slice thin like the deli meat
>> you're talking about.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Dimitri,
>
> I'll try that. Watermelon?!? A Kalifornia kut? :)
>
> --
> Andy
> http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

See section d

# 3
http://www.metrokc.gov/HEALTH/boh/code/titleR6.pdf

Dimitri

jmcquown wrote:

> Perhaps they've never actually *had* a French Dip?
>
> Jill

Jill,

Do you think 523 people could be clueless? I have to agree.

Andy

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 07 Sep 2005 02:39:13p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> So, in effect, you stewed it, Andy. IMHO, the crockpot is not the
>>> best method of achieving a "deli-style" roast beef. I know you just
>>> got, but it is not the be-all and end-all appliance for cooking
>>> everything.

>> Wayne,
>>
>> Obviously not! I'll hunt for a "proper" roast beef recipe.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy
>>

> You might try this one, but use the oven for it...
>
> 3 pounds beef eye of round roast
> 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>
> Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). If roast is untied, tie
> at 3 inch intervals with cotton twine. Place roast in pan, and season
> with salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Add more or less seasonings to
> taste. Roast in oven for 60 minutes (20 minutes per pound). Remove
> from oven, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.

Wayne,

I'll try that but ONLY 60 minutes?!? Where on the doneness scale will
this finish?

Andy