Question about DEcaf coffee

Sseadoubleyou

Guest
Is it cool to drink decaf coffee on a regular basis with a low carb
lifestyle? I just started liking coffee with the new low carb creamers
that are out and I was just curious if coffee had carbs or not. I know
coffee is allowed on induction so I'm assuming it's carb free (it
doesn't specifiy a limit on coffee).

Thanks.

On 7 Sep 2005 23:34:51 -0700, "Sseadoubleyou"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it cool to drink decaf coffee on a regular basis with a low carb
>lifestyle? I just started liking coffee with the new low carb creamers
>that are out and I was just curious if coffee had carbs or not. I know
>coffee is allowed on induction so I'm assuming it's carb free (it
>doesn't specifiy a limit on coffee).
>
>Thanks.

I don't know that coffee's ok on induction, but that's not my point.
I've read conflicting points of view on coffee's acceptability - not
so much because of the carbs contained in it or the condiments, but
because there's a question as to whether coffee itself causes hunger
pangs. I'll be following this thread though, because I'd really like
to continue using it if I can.

bmcky

Boston, MA

Coffee and tea do have carbs with 0.7g per 6 oz cup for coffee and 0.5g per
6 oz cup for tea. And few people drink only 6 oz of either. Decaf is
definitely preferable to regular since a recent study showed that caffeine
can spike blood sugar if consumed within 2 hours of eating.
What LC creamers have you found? My BF has been looking for some.

wrote:

>Is it cool to drink decaf coffee on a regular basis with a low carb
>lifestyle? I just started liking coffee with the new low carb creamers
>that are out and I was just curious if coffee had carbs or not. I know
>coffee is allowed on induction so I'm assuming it's carb free (it
>doesn't specifiy a limit on coffee).

-----
Bev

Sseadoubleyou wrote:
:: Is it cool to drink decaf coffee on a regular basis with a low carb
:: lifestyle? I just started liking coffee with the new low carb
:: creamers that are out and I was just curious if coffee had carbs or
:: not. I know coffee is allowed on induction so I'm assuming it's
:: carb free (it doesn't specifiy a limit on coffee).
::
:: Thanks.

Beware of low carb creamers....the ones I've seen have lots of carbs per
serving...definitely too many for someone on induction, IMO. Use a little
heavy cream for coffee or drink it black. And it does have some small amount
of carbs, so if you drink a lot, it could begin to limit your 20g/day on
induction. Most of those carbs should NOT come from coffee or creamer.

"Coffee and tea do have carbs with 0.7g per 6 oz cup for coffee and
0.5g per
6 oz cup for tea. "

I don't believe this is correct. From what I've seen, only instant
versions of coffee have any carbs and then it's the very low amount
cited above. Brewed decaf or regular is in fact, 0 carb. I've used
all versions with no problems. I drink it with 1/2 and 1/2, which if
used modestly, doesn't add many carbs. If you're just starting out or
having some difficulty losing weight, you might want to stick with
decaf But if you enjoy coffee, there's no reason to make things harder
for youself than they have to be.

Thanks everyone for the responses! Actually I'm not on induction, I
started the diet last March and was done in October with a 140lbs
weight loss:) I'm only posting about the coffee question because I
recently started to get 'into' drinking it and I was just curious about
it, that's all. However for the person who posted about coffee not
being allowed on induction, according to the book it is listed in the
acceptable foods list during the induction phase, so I couldn't imagine
it not being acceptable during the other phases of atkins. The
creamers I found are by International Delights I think or International
something, I'm not home right now so I can't check my fridge. But the
carb count in the low carb versions are 3 grams per 1 tablespoon
compared to 5 or 6 for the non low carb version and the sugar count is
2 or 3 grams per tablespoon compared to 5 or 6 in the non low carb
version. I bought a french vanilla and a hazlenut flavors. As far as
caffine goes I haven't had one drop of it since I started the diet in
March of last year so yes, I'm only drinking decaf coffee, not any of
the 'flavored coffees' just regular maxwell house or foldgers decaf
with my creamers and a splenda packet or two.

Thanks again for the info!

Scott

Forgot to mention one thing. The low carb versions of the creamers are
sweetened with Splenda!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sseadoubleyou" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the responses! Actually I'm not on induction, I
> started the diet last March and was done in October with a 140lbs
> weight loss:) I'm only posting about the coffee question because I
> recently started to get 'into' drinking it and I was just curious about
> it, that's all. However for the person who posted about coffee not
> being allowed on induction, according to the book it is listed in the
> acceptable foods list during the induction phase, so I couldn't imagine
> it not being acceptable during the other phases of atkins. The
> creamers I found are by International Delights I think or International
> something, I'm not home right now so I can't check my fridge. But the
> carb count in the low carb versions are 3 grams per 1 tablespoon
> compared to 5 or 6 for the non low carb version and the sugar count is
> 2 or 3 grams per tablespoon compared to 5 or 6 in the non low carb
> version. I bought a french vanilla and a hazlenut flavors. As far as
> caffine goes I haven't had one drop of it since I started the diet in
> March of last year so yes, I'm only drinking decaf coffee, not any of
> the 'flavored coffees' just regular maxwell house or foldgers decaf
> with my creamers and a splenda packet or two.
>
> Thanks again for the info!
>
> Scott

I'm a big coffee drinker myself, and I tried those creamers. They made
me feel really icky. I can't remember if they had HFC or transfats, or
both, but it was at least one of those, and since I haven't been
consuming those evil ingredients since I started LC, I bet that's what
did me in.

--
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

The numbers I've sited are taken directly from FitDay, which gets it's
numbers from the USDA, and are for brewed coffee or tea, not instant. The
numbers are the same whether regular or decaf.
I drink 3 or 4 cups of decaf coffee/day and haven't had any problems with
it either.

on 8 Sep 2005 07:22:36 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Coffee and tea do have carbs with 0.7g per 6 oz cup for coffee and
>0.5g per
>6 oz cup for tea. "
>
>I don't believe this is correct. From what I've seen, only instant
>versions of coffee have any carbs and then it's the very low amount
>cited above. Brewed decaf or regular is in fact, 0 carb. I've used
>all versions with no problems. I drink it with 1/2 and 1/2, which if
>used modestly, doesn't add many carbs. If you're just starting out or
>having some difficulty losing weight, you might want to stick with
>decaf But if you enjoy coffee, there's no reason to make things harder
>for youself than they have to be.

-----
Bev

What brand of creamer is it? I've never seen any sweetened with Splenda in
Canada but maybe we can find it online.

on 8 Sep 2005 14:50:46 -0700, "Sseadoubleyou" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Forgot to mention one thing. The low carb versions of the creamers are
>sweetened with Splenda!

-----
Bev

Just out of curiosity, I looked up instant coffee and it's very slightly
lower in net carbs at 0.67g/6 oz cup.

on Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:06:02 GMT, Bev-Ann <[email protected]> wrote:

>The numbers I've sited are taken directly from FitDay, which gets it's
>numbers from the USDA, and are for brewed coffee or tea, not instant. The
>numbers are the same whether regular or decaf.
>I drink 3 or 4 cups of decaf coffee/day and haven't had any problems with
>it either.

-----
Bev

Sseadoubleyou <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it cool to drink decaf coffee on a regular basis with a low carb
> lifestyle? I just started liking coffee with the new low carb creamers
> that are out and I was just curious if coffee had carbs or not. I know
> coffee is allowed on induction so I'm assuming it's carb free (it
> doesn't specifiy a limit on coffee).

I haven't looked at recent labels, but historically these creamers are
full of hydrogenated oils. I suggest a little heavy cream or half and
half, and DaVinci sugarfree syrups. (I've tried Torani and Oscar
sugarfree syrups, but they tend to have somewhat of a lacquer-like
aftertaste that DaVinci does not have).

WalMarts usually has sugarfree vanilla DaVinci, while Marshalls, TJMaxx
and Ross stores often have some random sugarfree DaVinci flavors in
the gourmet oils/relishes/syrups aisle -- watch the labels, DaVinci
also makes sugared flavors.

They have some 30+ sugarfree flavors available at davincigourmet.com,
and I've tasted about 15 or so. The only one I did not like at all
was the French Vanilla, which tasted more like pancake syrup than
French vanilla (the regular sugarfree vanilla is fine).

--
jamie ([email protected])

"There's a seeker born every minute."