Hybrid or hardtail mtb

Ken M

Guest
Okay, I AM buying a new bike next week! And I pretty sure that the Trek
hybrids are the type of bike I am going to be buying. But I was also
giving serious consideration to a Trek hardtail.

I only ride on city / town streets, never go off road, never do any
extreme city menuvers ie. curb jumping stair descending etc, but am
planning a self supported tour.

The reason I am leaning towards the Trek hybrid models 7000,7100,7200
or 7300 is that it seems to me that the hardtails I was looking at Trek
models 3700 and 4300 may be ' too much ' bike for me and my riding
habits. I have set a max price of $470 plus tax for my new ride.

My new bike must have eyelets and clearence for fenders, racks, bottle
cages, frame pumps etc etc etc.

Any other bike suggestions?

Ken

On 8 Sep 2005 08:05:25 -0700, Ken M wrote:

> I only ride on city / town streets, never go off road, never do any
> extreme city menuvers ie. curb jumping stair descending etc, but am
> planning a self supported tour.

"I only drive in the city, and never go off-road, but am planning to drive
over mountains someday, so obviously I need a big 4WD. Besides, my
wife can use it in the meantime."

Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:

> "I only drive in the city, and never go off-road, but am planning to drive
> over mountains someday, so obviously I need a big 4WD. Besides, my
> wife can use it in the meantime."

loundeye molon.

..max

Ken M wrote:

> ...but am
> planning a self supported tour.
>
> The reason I am leaning towards the Trek hybrid models 7000,7100,7200
> or 7300 is that it seems to me that the hardtails I was looking at Trek
> models 3700 and 4300

Any of the bikes you list will work fine for city riding.

For extended touring, the hybrids are probably a little lighter but I
would hate to ride for any length of time on those wide saddles and
flat bars. The low-end componentry on all the bikes you list might also
be a concern.

RFM

Based on catalogs and browsing I was all fired up that a Trek 7300 or
7500 was the bike for me a couple of weeks ago. Then I had a test ride
and changed my mind. I too spend 99.9% of my time on-road and these
Treks were just too far on the off-road side of hybrid for me. I test
rode several other brands and models and refined my ideas about what I
wanted each time. I eventually settled on a Specialized Sirrus Sport,
light frame and narrowish road wheels but flat bars and V brakes.
I guess my advice is to take your time and try before you buy.