dogs

Misnomer

Guest
An interesting thing happenned yesterday on my ride. We spotted someone playing with their 2 dogs in
the water, rode past them discussing how cute those 2 mongrels were. Then, not 2 seconds later one
of the dogs ran up beside me, I slowed down, he / she passed me and then cut me off! The dog then
ran back to its master looking rath proud of himself ... (there I beat you!)

take care Liz

"MisNomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> An interesting thing happenned yesterday on my ride. We spotted someone
playing
> with their 2 dogs in the water, rode past them discussing how cute those 2 mongrels were. Then,
> not 2 seconds later one of the dogs ran up beside me,
> slowed down, he / she passed me and then cut me off! The dog then ran
back to
> its master looking rath proud of himself ... (there I beat you!)

Dogs are almost as unpredictable as pedestrians!

I get the same kind of treatment from bunnies when I do a 50 mile inner Tour de Toronto multiuse
paths as a midnight ride. During the day they just run away off the path, but from 3-5:00am these
guys will relay race me. First one will jump out of the bushes onto the path and race me for 10-15
meters, a short while later another will take over, then another...

Doug

"Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I get the same kind of treatment from bunnies when I do a 50 mile inner
Tour
> de Toronto multiuse paths as a midnight ride. During the day they just run away off the path, but
> from 3-5:00am these guys will relay race me. First one will jump out of the bushes onto the path
> and race me for 10-15
meters,
> a short while later another will take over, then another...

Same thing happened to me on Sunday though it was evening. I'd estimate they were not quite adults.
Mebbe a little from early spring? I recall once I was riding pre-dawn and spotted on in the middle
of a lawn. Watching him I didn't notice the little bugger right next to the street until he took
off like a bat out of hell across the street.. I was startled but didn't crash or anything. I can
imagine trying to explain it if I had: 'The widdle bunny wabbit scared me!!'

"Doug Purdy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Dogs are almost as unpredictable as pedestrians!
>
> I get the same kind of treatment from bunnies when I do a 50 mile inner
Tour
> de Toronto multiuse paths as a midnight ride. During the day they just run away off the path, but
> from 3-5:00am these guys will relay race me. First one will jump out of the bushes onto the path
> and race me for 10-15
meters,
> a short while later another will take over, then another...

I've had a couple close encounters with deer while riding in a nearby provincial park. The silly
things will be standing off the far side of the road, see me coming and, as I approach, bolt across
the road (getting closer to me as they do so) in order to run away. While they aren't as big as
moose, I'd still rather not hit one.

sounds like he was trying to herd you :)

--

MisNomer wrote:

> An interesting thing happenned yesterday on my ride. We spotted someone playing with their 2 dogs
> in the water, rode past them discussing how cute those 2 mongrels were. Then, not 2 seconds later
> one of the dogs ran up beside me, I slowed down, he / she passed me and then cut me off! The dog
> then ran back to its master looking rath proud of himself ... (there I beat you!)
>
> take care Liz

I truly love dogs - especialy golden retrievers - except when I am on a bicycle. Even the smallest
canine might as well be a load of cinderblocks when it - or even part of it - gets into the works of
a bicycle. And there are also the dogs that will greet you nicley when you're on foot but wax nasty
when you're on a bicycle (there are two of these in my neighborhood). All in all though, I have had
no dog/bicycle problem since I began carrying a squeeze bottle of ammonia.

Until last weekend. I was doing my morning ride on a nice, new, wide, walk/jog/bike path - my
cycling safe haven, only 1/2 mile from home - when I approached a "soccer mom" and her leashed
poodle from the rear. Dog was evenly trotting along, to the lady's right. I moved to the far left of
the traffic-lane-wide "path" to give lady and dog wide berth, and as I drew to within about 10
meters of even with lady/dog, the dog suddenly bolted around the lady and straight to the left ...
across my path. So there I was, humping along at 18 MPH and thinking all was well with the world,
when a bright red nylon tape (leash) appeared before me, stretched tight, a dog on one end and
110-pound woman on the other. Dog wanted a rabbit; woman wanted her dog. I crossed the "finish
line", despite standing on the brake and dropping crotch to carrier rack, and immediately became
intimately acquainted with dog and mistress.

I slid through the grass on my face, messing up a perfectly good (though smelly) t-shirt, but the
lady got some good road burn. Dog looked like he didn't feel well.

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I truly love dogs - especialy golden retrievers - except when I am on a bicycle. Even the smallest
> canine might as well be a load of cinderblocks when it - or even part of it - gets into the works
> of a bicycle. And there are also the dogs that will greet you nicley when you're on foot but wax
> nasty when you're on a bicycle (there are two of these in my neighborhood). All in all though, I
> have had no dog/bicycle problem since I began carrying a squeeze bottle of ammonia.
>
> Until last weekend. I was doing my morning ride on a nice, new, wide, walk/jog/bike path - my
> cycling safe haven, only 1/2 mile from home - when I approached a "soccer mom" and her leashed
> poodle from the rear. Dog was evenly trotting along, to the lady's right. I moved to the far left
> of the traffic-lane-wide "path" to give lady and dog wide berth, and as I drew to within about 10
> meters of even with lady/dog, the dog suddenly bolted around the lady and straight to the left ...
> across my path. So there I was, humping along at 18 MPH and thinking all was well with the world,
> when a bright red nylon tape (leash) appeared before me, stretched tight, a dog on one end and
> 110-pound woman on the other. Dog wanted a rabbit; woman wanted her dog. I crossed the "finish
> line", despite standing on the brake and dropping crotch to carrier rack, and immediately became
> intimately acquainted with dog and mistress.
>
> I slid through the grass on my face, messing up a perfectly good (though smelly) t-shirt, but the
> lady got some good road burn. Dog looked like he didn't feel well.

The only bike path near me is in a major park. The posted speed limit (!) is 10KM (6MPH). I leave it
to the people with dogs and kiddies and ride on the roads in the park. There are plenty of times
when traffic is light enough that it's safer than the bike paths.

I love dogs and tolerate kids, but they're all too unpredictable to happily cycle near them.

Michael wrote:
>Until last weekend. I was doing my morning ride on a nice, new, wide, walk/jog/bike path - my
>cycling safe haven, only 1/2 mile from home - when I approached a "soccer mom" and her leashed
>poodle from the rear

>I moved to the far left of the traffic-lane-wide "path" to give lady and dog wide berth, and as I
>drew to within about 10 meters of even with lady/dog, the dog suddenly bolted around the lady and
>straight to the left ... across my pat
Did you give a warning to your approach? To avoid a possible mishap on my rides when approching dog
walkers I give a loud verbal sound in plenty of time before passing which causes them to pull in
their pets closer to them. Hope you have no more accidents like this.

Jim

Jpfler wrote:
> Did you give a warning to your approach? To avoid a possible mishap on my rides when approching
> dog walkers I give a loud verbal sound in plenty of time before passing which causes them to pull
> in their pets closer to them. Hope you have no more accidents like this.
>
> Jim

I did not, and I meant to mention that major screw-up. Usually an "on your left" is automatic but my
autopilot was inop. that morning. Also I was going too fast for existing conditions, i.e. I was not
alone on the path. Path is straight and flat with a good half mile visibility at any given point. I
saw the pooch and the woman but they did not register. I was in la-la land and got what I deserved.
Somewhat less, actually, since the poor soccer mom was the one who bit the pavement.

The bike path I ride on is a bike path ONLY on most of its lenght. People walking their dogs are
bad. Especially those walking on one edge having the dog running on the other side with the leash
going straight through... But there is worse. Sometimes, the are people walking with their below 5
yo kids!!! How brainless do you have to be?

Michael wrote:

> Jpfler wrote:
> > Did you give a warning to your approach? To avoid a possible mishap on my rides when approching
> > dog walkers I give a loud verbal sound in plenty of time before passing which causes them to
> > pull in their pets closer to them. Hope you have no more accidents like this.
> >
> > Jim
>
> I did not, and I meant to mention that major screw-up. Usually an "on your left" is automatic but
> my autopilot was inop. that morning. Also I was going too fast for existing conditions, i.e. I was
> not alone on the path. Path is straight and flat with a good half mile visibility at any given
> point. I saw the pooch and the woman but they did not register. I was in la-la land and got what I
> deserved. Somewhat less, actually, since the poor soccer mom was the one who bit the pavement.

You can buy a very small and simple bell from your bike shop. Comes in basic black. MEC calls theirs
a "Merribell", whatever. Works like a charm. The gentle ringing carries very well. Start dinging
from a hundred yards/meters back, people on mixed use paths are usually hip to what's up, will move
to the right, and often thank you for the warning that you are coming. Of course, the decent thing
to do as well is to slow down to a cautious pace as you pass. Sorry you got into a mess! *stuff*
happens. Best regards, Bernie

Sorry to hear of your accident. Stuff happens, someone said "its training for later in life"...

take care Liz in calgary - dogs have the right of way.

snipped

"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... [...]
> You can buy a very small and simple bell from your bike shop. Comes in
basic black.
> MEC calls theirs a "Merribell", whatever. Works like a charm.

I have to disagree. People sometimes don't hear it or recognize it [elderly or groups involved in
discussion/activity]. And people who do recognize/hear it can do the strangest things, like move
tpo each side of the trail while a third decides to dart to the other side at the last moment; Or
call there to there dogs who are far off the trail to cross in front of you; simply scatter so you
have no clear path or clear idea which direction they will go
in.

[can you tell I'm venting a bit?]

I have, use and reccomend a bell or similar signalling place but it's no cure-all.

bgaudet0801 wrote:

> "Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... [...]
> > You can buy a very small and simple bell from your bike shop. Comes in
> basic black.
> > MEC calls theirs a "Merribell", whatever. Works like a charm.
>
> I have to disagree. People sometimes don't hear it or recognize it [elderly or groups involved in
> discussion/activity]. And people who do recognize/hear it can do the strangest things, like move
> tpo each side of the trail while a third decides to dart to the other side at the last moment; Or
> call there to there dogs who are far off the trail to cross in front of you; simply scatter so
> you have no clear path or clear idea which direction they will go
> in.
>
> [can you tell I'm venting a bit?]
>
> I have, use and reccomend a bell or similar signalling place but it's no cure-all.

Even penecillin's not a cure all! The bell works pretty well though. It can be rung loud or soft,
fast staccatto or just a few dings. Bell vs no bell and a yell? I'll take the bell thanks! Bernie

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:50:58 -0700, Bernie tapped this on a keyboard:

> Bell vs no bell and a yell? I'll take the bell thanks! Bernie

I don't yell, I don't bell, I just ride 'em down!

--

QUIPd 1.02: (182 of 654) -> "You didn't slay the dragon?!" -> "It's on my to-do list, now come on!"
-> -- Shrek.

"Johann S." <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:50:58 -0700, Bernie tapped this on a keyboard:
>

>> Bell vs no bell and a yell? I'll take the bell thanks! Bernie
>
> I don't yell, I don't bell, I just ride 'em down!

Spray then with your water bottle.