or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Seatpost squeak??

post #1 of 10
Hi all,

Was getting worried about a noise coming from the BB, but the wisdom of
it is in fact 'seatpost squeak'!!

Only seems to happen when I'm seated, pedalling hard uphill....

Anyways - wondering how to stop it. There is something
counter-intuitive about putting lube on a seatpost (won't it just slide
all the way down??). Any ideas on fixes would be appreciated!!

Many thanks,
Absent Husband (damn @#$% rain!! - Victorians, take back your
weather!!!)
post #2 of 10

Re: Seatpost squeak??

BrettS wrote:

> Absent Husband wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Was getting worried about a noise coming from the BB, but the wisdom of
> > it is in fact 'seatpost squeak'!!
> >
> > Only seems to happen when I'm seated, pedalling hard uphill....
> >
> > Anyways - wondering how to stop it. There is something
> > counter-intuitive about putting lube on a seatpost (won't it just slide
> > all the way down??). Any ideas on fixes would be appreciated!!

> AH, In the past, I mark the seat height, remove the seatpost, clean the
> post and tube and apply a thin smeak of black Molybdenum grease (Any
> grease will do really) inside the seat tube. A thin smear on the seat
> post and refit. Clean any excess off.
>
> It will happen on regular occasions if you ride through water. The
> small slot in the rear of the seat tube where the clamp sits, collects
> water and slowly but surely, little bits of gunk force their way in
> between the seat post and seat tube. I guess the way to fix it would be
> to fit a rear mudguard :shudder: so water and road grime doesn't get
> flung into the slot off the rear tyre
>
> I've had to lube mine twice in the last 18 months.
>
> --
> BrettS

Long term fix: become a fair-weather cyclist!

Tam
post #3 of 10

Re: Seatpost squeak??

"Long term fix: become a fair-weather cyclist! "

<snip>

But that's no fun!!

AH
post #4 of 10

Re: Seatpost squeak??

Absent Husband <absent_husband@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Was getting worried about a noise coming from the BB, but the wisdom of
> it is in fact 'seatpost squeak'!!
>
> Only seems to happen when I'm seated, pedalling hard uphill....
>
> Anyways - wondering how to stop it.

Have you checked for mice in the seat tube?

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Re: Seatpost squeak??

Absent Husband wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Was getting worried about a noise coming from the BB, but the wisdom of
> it is in fact 'seatpost squeak'!!

This happened to me last week. I was wondering where that squeak was coming
from till I noticed my seat was starting to lean farther and farther back.

Stopped, re-tightened, and continued. How embarrassment.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>
post #6 of 10

Re: Seatpost squeak??

On 11 Apr 2005 17:09:21 -0700, Absent Husband wrote:

> Anyways - wondering how to stop it. There is something
> counter-intuitive about putting lube on a seatpost (won't it just slide
> all the way down??). Any ideas on fixes would be appreciated!!

Grease up the seatpost clamp bolt. That's usually the problem
there for me.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
post #7 of 10

Re: Seatpost squeak??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Warner
On 11 Apr 2005 17:09:21 -0700, Absent Husband wrote:

> Anyways - wondering how to stop it. There is something
> counter-intuitive about putting lube on a seatpost (won't it just slide
> all the way down??). Any ideas on fixes would be appreciated!!

Grease up the seatpost clamp bolt. That's usually the problem
there for me.
Check that the seatpost hasn't broken your seat.
That was the source of my squeak, and rough ride.
post #8 of 10

Re: Seatpost squeak??

hippy wrote:

> Absent Husband wrote:
> > "Long term fix: become a fair-weather cyclist! "
> > <snip>
> > But that's no fun!!

> Move to Melbourne.. we have all the fair weather! :P
>
> hippy
> - will eat his words tomorrow when it's 19degC..

Absent Husband caught up with me today, as I walked across the road
(didn't trust the broken cleat on the uphill takeoff, and the bike shop
had issues, yes, they didn't call me to let me know they needed more
info, thanks guys)... I guess I'm easy to spot in my blue jersey on my
Learsport. He said something about being glad I'd stopped, because he
was trying to catch me. Logan Rd is like that, the lights just kill your
race plan. Anyway I can vouch for the fact that the squeaky seatpost is
genuine, and very, very squeaky. It was fun to have someone to chat to
and maybe another BLART is on the chart.

Tam
post #9 of 10

Re: Seatpost squeak??

Thanks Tam - now maybe they'll take me seriously!! I spent ages shoving
bits of cheese down my seatpost before I realised...........

BTW - it was the bright yellow/orange Learsport that gave you away,
shooting along Logan Rd as I was riding up towards the Mitre 10 from
Creek Rd. I just missed following you through the traffic lights at the
Holland Park Fire Station, and so was ready to give up the chase (sorry
hippy - don't take that the wrong way!!) when I saw you walking across
the next intersection. Those cleats must be driving you crazy!!

And thanks for the tip for heading 'around the back' of Stones Corner -
definitely much safer/less stress. Think I'll head that way from now on
(although I miss the caffeine smells along the shopping strip that
way!).

Another BLART can't be far off.... Will post up a proposed date soon
and see if we can rally the BrisVegans!!

Cheers,
Absent Husband
post #10 of 10

Re: Seatpost squeak??

Absent Husband wrote:

> Thanks Tam - now maybe they'll take me seriously!! I spent ages shoving
> bits of cheese down my seatpost before I realised...........

Tee hee... that's cute. I want a mouse in my bike frame. Hey, do you
reckon you could hitch a little running wheel inside for the critter to
add power to your pedals?

> BTW - it was the bright yellow/orange Learsport that gave you away,
> shooting along Logan Rd as I was riding up towards the Mitre 10 from
> Creek Rd. I just missed following you through the traffic lights at the
> Holland Park Fire Station, and so was ready to give up the chase (sorry
> hippy - don't take that the wrong way!!) when I saw you walking across
> the next intersection. Those cleats must be driving you crazy!!

They're not soooo bad. There's only about 3 hills that I can't take off
on. And I think it was my own fault for big gears, but I'm not taking
any chances...

> And thanks for the tip for heading 'around the back' of Stones Corner -
> definitely much safer/less stress. Think I'll head that way from now on
> (although I miss the caffeine smells along the shopping strip that
> way!).

<snip>

Coffee smells... Mmmmmm... just get an espresso machine in your office!
It was good to have the company.

Tam
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Australia and New Zealand