hardshell seat

J Browe

Guest
Has anyone got any ideas on homebuilt recumbent hardshell seats? I saw a kid with a large skateboard
that looked like it might fit my profile, also maybe a smaller snowboard might work if I could find
one used or at the thrift shop. jb

"j browe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone got any ideas on homebuilt recumbent hardshell seats? I saw a kid with a large
> skateboard that looked like it might fit my profile, also maybe a smaller snowboard might work if
> I could find one used or at the thrift shop. jb

I have made a few of aluminium - 2mm thick works for my purpose. If you can nick the profile from a
hardshell seat that fits you, you are a long way. Make 2 profiles to mount to the back of the shell
first (can be sawed with an electric saw) and then make the seat shell. With some practice you can
bend the 2mm alu (width : 22cm in my case) by hand over a cylindric shape. TIG weld or use pop
rivets to assemble the parts (different profiles!)

2.5mm is too thick to bend with success (and way too strong) 1.5mm is too fragile. Maybe use 2 or
2.5mm for the profiles and 1.5 for the shell - it should work.

Pic's of a kid's seat here : http://www.hpv-klub.dk/selvbygger/juniorHPV/default.asp

HTH Torben

Thanks for sharing this with us here in English. This looks like a nice solution suitable for
homebuilders.

j browe wrote:

> Has anyone got any ideas on homebuilt recumbent hardshell seats? I saw a kid with a large
> skateboard that looked like it might fit my profile, also maybe a smaller snowboard might work if
> I could find one used or at the thrift shop.

If you have a nearby beach, you can make a seat out of wet sand that fits your back. The sand is
covered with a very thin sheet of plastic, then Plaster of Paris. This creates a mold that composite
seat can be built on. IIRC, Matt Weaver built the seats for his "Edge" streamliners by this method.