Light recommendations?

Jmk

Guest
I was thinking about buying a new headlight for my bike. I have one that the battery goes in the
bottle cage but it's just too hot in NC right now to think seriously about giving up a water bottle
for a battery. I was thinking of getting a Vistalight Nightstick Code 5. Does anyone have thoughts
on this light? I'd love to hear any comments pro or con.

Also, I see that Sierra Trading Post has it for $50. I've ordered from them before with good
luck. I also see that Price Point has it for $40. Have any of you ordered from pricepoint.com
before? Thanks!

jmk

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:02:08 -0400, jmk <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was thinking about buying a new headlight for my bike. I have one that the battery goes in the
>bottle cage but it's just too hot in NC right now to think seriously about giving up a water bottle
>for a battery.
What a pity. I made my light, its 50 watts of halogen downlight ;) sla battery jammed in bottle
cage. Bright mofo :p
> I was thinking of getting a Vistalight Nightstick Code 5. Does anyone have thoughts on this light?
> I'd love to hear any comments pro or con.
>
>Also, I see that Sierra Trading Post has it for $50. I've ordered from them before with good
>luck. I also see that Price Point has it for $40. Have any of you ordered from pricepoint.com
>before? Thanks!
>
>jmk

5W is not enough.

I agree with you about the water bottle cage being needed for an actual bottle, but isn't there a
way you could mount another bottle cage elsewhere? See http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss.htm for a
bunch of methods. This would be the least expensive option. It's hard to find the cage mounting
hardware in the U.S., but you can usually mail order it; I've included sources on the web site.
Forget about buying any of these items at a bike shop in the U.S., it's mail order only.

It's kind of hard to find adequate lights that don't mount the batteries in the water bottle cage
(what are these companies thinking?!), but they do exist.

Check out: "http://www.cygolite.com/light/main/1products.htm" they offer several frame
mount options.

"http://store.airbomb.com/site/intro445c.html?PageID=37&SKU=LT7814" $53 and it's a better option
than the Vistalight at $50. Gel Cel.

For $80 you get the 16W headlamp "http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-170175&r=7"

Just be certain that you are ordering a frame mount system, not a waterbottle mount system, as
Cygolite has both.

You can also order their headlight that runs on D cells
"http://www.bicyclerevolution.com/cygmetbiclig.html" then buy six 7500mAH NiMH D cell batteries for
about $36, "http://store.yahoo.com/sterlingtek/nimdcelbat2d.html"

7.2V*7.5AH=54WH, derate by 30% to so at full 12.6W you will be able to go for 3 hours. You could
even consider going to AA high capacity NiMH batteries (2000mAH) if you have a shorter commute
(these would run for about 45 minutes at full power, 90 minutes at half power).

This is probably the least expensive option for an NiMH system, though there is nothing wrong with a
Gelcel system other than the weight. I used to use a lot of Gelcel's because they were more
weight/power efficient than the NiCads of the time, but now the high capacity NiMH batteries have
changed all that, though they are still expensive.

You can also see details about building your own system at nordicgroup.us/s78 . I used to
manufacture systems with 14W-55W headlamps. The Malibu LV504 and LV505 are ideal for bicycle lights,
http://www.intermatic.com/?action=subcat&sid=17 Put a 12V gel cel battery in a frame bag and you're
done (at least for the headlight).

Hope all this helps.

jmk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I was thinking about buying a new headlight for my bike. I have one that the battery goes in the
> bottle cage but it's just too hot in NC right now to think seriously about giving up a water
> bottle for a battery. I was thinking of getting a Vistalight Nightstick Code 5. Does anyone have
> thoughts on this light? I'd love to hear any comments pro or con.
>
> Also, I see that Sierra Trading Post has it for $50. I've ordered from them before with good
> luck. I also see that Price Point has it for $40. Have any of you ordered from pricepoint.com
> before? Thanks!
>
> jmk

Vistalight Lightsticks have been discontinued. Getting parts is fun
but some can be made and others can be gotten from Radio Schack. I
made a replacement battery pack and found extra power cables at RS.

[email protected] (Steven Scharf) wrote in message

>... isn't there a way you could mount another bottle cage elsewhere? See
>http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss.htm for a bunch of methods. This would be the least expensive
>option. It's hard to find the cage mounting hardware in the U.S., but you can usually mail order
>it; I've included sources on the web site. Forget about buying any of these items at a bike shop in
>the U.S.,

Nice, informative site. Thanks. I found the cheapo clamps like #6 on your site for "free" at my
local LBS.
(i.e. I wanted to buy two cages if he had some way I could mount them on my ancient tandem) This is
an old Schwinn shop that the new owner bought about 3 years ago, and there is a variety of old
inventory there. There may be a lot of local shops that still have these old-style mounts.

One trick suggested on the touring list is to mount a third water bottle cage below the downtube
(i.e. on the outside of the triangle). Of course, it gets dirty down there and can't be accessed
while on the move, but you can only drink out of one water bottle at a time, anyway.

"Robert Dole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Steven Scharf) wrote in message

> One trick suggested on the touring list is to mount a third water bottle cage below the downtube
> (i.e. on the outside of the triangle). Of course, it gets dirty down there and can't be accessed
> while on the move, but you can only drink out of one water bottle at a time, anyway.

My touring bike has braze-ons down there. You're right, it is a good place, especially for batteries
or compressed air for a horn, or for a water bottle tool set, or any of the other water bottle size
accessories.

"jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> On 8/19/2003 2:50 PM, Steven Scharf wrote:
> > 5W is not enough.
>
> What wattage would you recommend? 10? 15? More?
>
> > "http://store.airbomb.com/site/intro445c.html?PageID=37&SKU=LT7814" $53 and it's a better option
> > than the Vistalight at $50. Gel Cel.
>
> Thanks for all of the recommendations!

I am personally not comfortable with less than 10W Halogen. This is city/suburb riding. Off-roading
(no ambient light) requires less, I think, unless you're doing real mtb-ing, maybe.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

"Matthew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > What a pity. I made my light, its 50 watts of halogen downlight ;) sla battery jammed in bottle
> > cage. Bright mofo :p
>
> I'd be interested in instructions/cost for this. Thanks

Well you can look at a high wattage system that I used to manufacture at http://nordicgroup.com/s78
. This was back in the 1980's, things have changed, especially with the drastically cheaper prices
of NiMH batteries. at the time, even Nightsun didn't have any really high wattage systems available.

I sold quite a few with 55W driving lights. Personally I think that this was a bit overdoing it.

If I was going to do it these days I'd use a 14W or 25W halogen sealed beam ($12) and twelve 2000
mAH AA NiMH cells ($16). Even with a 25W headlamp this would run for almost an hour (and that's
including derating the battery capacity to 80% of rated capacity). If I needed more I'd use twelve
7500mA D NiMH, but that's $72 worth of batteries, or a 7AH 12V lead acid that at 84WH would give me
about the same actual capacity as the 54W hours from the 12 NiMH D cells, and would cost $22.

Personally I don't care for water bottle cage batteries, I'd use a frame bag to hold the battery.

The SLA batteries were good at the time, less trouble than NiCads with their low internal resistance
and memory effect, (page 54 of "http://www.antonbauer.com/downloads/2002Handbook.pdf"). But these
days the NiMH batteries are quite economical if you only need a system that'll run for 1-2 hours
between charging.

What I recommend these days is that people buy a dual headlamp system (i.e 20W + 5W) with an SLA
battery, then replace the SLA battery with NiMH. For $50 you can buy something that works but the
SLA batteries are just too inefficient, i.e. "http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=LT1025"

jmk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I was thinking about buying a new headlight for my bike. jmk

Me too!

And I have been looking at lights similar to the ones have been suggested to you.

What I would really like is a combo light with a bright incandescent bulb, and back up low power
(but still bright!) LED light, much like the new headlights DUO LED from petzl. These give long
battery life, and even if the battery is almost dead the led's are still bright enough for "be seen"
lighting, even if not that great for seeing.

Fragg

My old lights came with a canvas bag that held the batteries. It mounted under the top tube, just
behind the headset. I think there were two velcro straps that went over the top tube and one that
went under the down tube, to keep the bag from sliding back. Worked great, and you could probably
make one pretty easily.

James

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Steven Scharf) writes:

> 5W is not enough.

I do very well by my old Union 3W generator/headlight setup, supplemented occasionally w/ my old
Cateye HL-500 for standlight purposes.

For seeing, it's not the watts; it's the lumens/sq. metre. For being seen under normal weather
conditions, anything legal will do. Thick fog is another story, but I just don't ride in it.

But tonight I had a great ride over some fairly busted-up streets without any difficulty wrt to
seeing hazards, and there /were/ some, including a toddler darting across the street from a parked
car. I got to stop, trade smiles with his parents, and assure them I wouldn't run them over as if I
was impatiently driving a car.

And it didn't even cost a penny from the grid, and I didn't worry about batteries failing. Going
where I was going was mostly downhill, so I was faster and my headlight was therefore brighter.
Coming back was uphill and slower, so brightness didn't matter as much for seeing the road.

It's not the watts; it's the lumens, and how concentrated they are, and how they're aimed.

cheers, Tom