or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › How many grams of dry rice would equal 400 g of cooked rice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many grams of dry rice would equal 400 g of cooked rice?

post #1 of 9
Anyone know?
post #2 of 9

Re: How many grams of dry rice would equal 400 g of cooked rice?

avocado wrote:

> Anyone know?

Approximately 1 cup if boiled in 2 parts water. That means
2 cups of water - 16 oz., about 450 grams. The rice weighs
a lot less than the water. There will be a little bit of
evaporation but most of the water is absorbed by the rice.

If you need something more precise than that you are going
to have to experiment, or you can just cook a little extra
and find something to do with an ounce or two or cooked
rice.
post #3 of 9

Re: How many grams of dry rice would equal 400 g of cooked rice?

I'd rather be a troll than a stone jerk, thanks for your response.
post #4 of 9

Dave Smith wrote:
> avocado wrote:
>
>> Anyone know?

> Approximately 1 cup if boiled in 2 parts water. That means
> 2 cups of water - 16 oz., about 450 grams. The rice weighs
> a lot less than the water. There will be a little bit of
> evaporation but most of the water is absorbed by the rice.
>
> If you need something more precise than that you are going
> to have to experiment, or you can just cook a little extra
> and find something to do with an ounce or two or cooked
> rice.

Cooked rice freezes perfectly well. No reason not to make a little extra.

Jill
post #5 of 9

avocado wrote:

> Anyone know?

About 170g.

gtoomey
post #6 of 9

Sheldon wrote:

> avocado wrote:
>
>>Anyone know?

> Depends a lot on which rice... but generally 1 cup raw equals 3 cups
> cooked. The best you could do is before cooking weigh both the rice
> and water, then extrapolate for evaporation...

"The best..." Bwah. "...extrapolate for evaporation..." That's a lot
like, um, guessing.

> or simply run a test
> batch. What are you preparing, I've never seen a recipe calling for
> cooked rice by weight...

....and Shecky the Wizard has seen *every* recipe on earth...

> and why would it matter if you cooked a little
> extra, nothing costs less than rice, which is the primary reason so
> many zillions subsist on it. Btw, I've never seen a recipe calling for
> avocado by weight either, or sold by weight... you are either a troll
> or dumber than a banana.

Or someone who doesn't use the normal American volumetric approach.
Anyone from virtually any other country on earth weighs recipe
ingredients for the sake of precision and consistency. Just like
professionals in the U.S.

But what would our resident U.S. Navy cook (retarded) know about
precision or professionalism?

Pastorio
post #7 of 9

Sheldon wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>>Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>>I'm still waiting for this recipe that calls for weighing cooked
>>>rice... must be for the birds.
>>>
>>>Sheldon

>>Like these?
>>
>>Fried Rice with Salted Fish
>>
>>Ingredients
>># 400g leftover cooked rice, kept overnight
>># 75g prawns, shelled
>># 50g salted fish, chopped and soaked
>># 2 tbsp frozen green peas
>># 2 eggs
>># 3 tbsp oil
>># 1 tsp sesame oil
>>
>>Incredible Pork Fried Rice
>>
>>2 OXO chicken stock cubes
>>450g/1lb pork fillet
>>2 tbsp dark soy sauce
>>2 tbsp runny honey
>>2 tbsp vegetable oil
>>1 red pepper, seeded and cut into short strips
>>1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and chopped
>>2 cloves garlic, crushed
>>200g/7oz spring cabbage, shredded
>>400g frozen cooked rice or precooked rice
>>1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted (optional)

> No one weighs ingredients for fried rice...
>
> Sheldon

Speaks for itself, no...?

Bob
post #8 of 9

Sheldon wrote:

> You don't get it. For novice cooks it's even more important for
> recipes to indicate the quantity of rice by volume... makes as much
> sense for a recipe to indicate a pound of cooked rice as it is to
> indicate a pound of cooked onions.

And how is that Nancyboy? A lot of cooks measure by weight. A lot of
cookbooks indicate weights rather than volume. Not only do they measure by
weight, they can justify it with sound logic.

> When I come
> across a recipe that lists a major ingredient in non-standard format I
> deem it suspect in all of it's parts and discard it.

That's a shame. If you had half as many brains as most people with any
experience in a kitchen you would be able to figure it out and adapt.
post #9 of 9

Re: How many grams of dry rice would equal 400 g of cooked rice?

In article <1113574179.994423.107700@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"avocado" <gmeiresonne@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Anyone know?

According to Shop'NCook:
100g of cooked rice contains 68.61g of water
100g of dry rice contains 12.89g of water

From this, one can calculate the weight of dry rice corresponding to
400g cooked rice: (follow fuzzy calculations...)

Let's dub EDR (extra-dry rice) the part of rice without any water.
400g cooked rice contains 4x(100-68.61)g EDR
100g of dry rice contains 100-12.89 g = 87.11g EDR, meaning 1g EDR
yields 100/87.11 g dry rice.
Weight of dry rice giving 400g cooked rice: 4x(100-68.61)x100/87.11 =
144.14 g

Other way to calculate:
According to Shop'NCook:
1 cup dry rice weights 195 g
3 cup cooked rice weights 585 g

Using the data that 1 cup of dry rice gives 3 cup of cooked rice, 400g
cooked rice corresponds to 195x400/585 g = 133.33 g dry rice.

The two results correspond nicely within a 10% error.

Mite
http://www.shopncook.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home