or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best disposable bowl for microwave?

post #1 of 5
Hi all,
Looking for a disposable bowl for heating foods in the microwave, ie:
plastic or paper. Any idea which kind would be the most user
friendly? These are going to be sent to a soldier who requested
these...apparently they have microwaves, but limited means to wash or
store dishes. Am sending stuff like easymac, tuna, canned chicken,
soups, raviolis, candy, crystal light, gatorade, chips, etc. Oh yeah
and plastic utensils.
Quite an interesting website...if you haven't seen it, you can go to

http://www.anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/

No I don't have anyone over there, but feel the least we can do is
give them a little support.

What kinda stinks is some of them ask for homemade cookies and that is
a no-no...oh well.

If anyone has any input on the bowls I would appreciate hearing from
you.
Thanks,
Sue D.
post #2 of 5

Re: Best disposable bowl for microwave?

Sue D. wrote:
> Hi all,
> Looking for a disposable bowl for heating foods in the microwave, ie:
> plastic or paper. Any idea which kind would be the most user
> friendly? These are going to be sent to a soldier who requested
> these...apparently they have microwaves, but limited means to wash or
> store dishes. Am sending stuff like easymac, tuna, canned chicken,
> soups, raviolis, candy, crystal light, gatorade, chips, etc. Oh yeah
> and plastic utensils.
> Quite an interesting website...if you haven't seen it, you can go to
>
> http://www.anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/
>
> No I don't have anyone over there, but feel the least we can do is
> give them a little support.
>
> What kinda stinks is some of them ask for homemade cookies and that is
> a no-no...oh well.
>
> If anyone has any input on the bowls I would appreciate hearing from
> you.
> Thanks,
> Sue D.

Doesn't Glad make disposable plastic bowls that are microwave safe? Can't
think of the name of them off the top of my head; I'm sure someone here will
know.

And Sue, *kudos* to you for doing something nice for our troops!

Jill
post #3 of 5

Re: Best disposable bowl for microwave?

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:03:32 -0500, "jmcquown"
<jmcquown@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Sue D. wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Looking for a disposable bowl for heating foods in the microwave, ie:
>> plastic or paper. Any idea which kind would be the most user
>> friendly? These are going to be sent to a soldier who requested
>> these...apparently they have microwaves, but limited means to wash or
>> store dishes. Am sending stuff like easymac, tuna, canned chicken,
>> soups, raviolis, candy, crystal light, gatorade, chips, etc. Oh yeah
>> and plastic utensils.
>> Quite an interesting website...if you haven't seen it, you can go to
>>
>> http://www.anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/
>>
>> No I don't have anyone over there, but feel the least we can do is
>> give them a little support.
>>
>> What kinda stinks is some of them ask for homemade cookies and that is
>> a no-no...oh well.
>>
>> If anyone has any input on the bowls I would appreciate hearing from
>> you.
>> Thanks,
>> Sue D.

>Doesn't Glad make disposable plastic bowls that are microwave safe? Can't
>think of the name of them off the top of my head; I'm sure someone here will
>know.
>
>And Sue, *kudos* to you for doing something nice for our troops!
>
>Jill

Well shoot Jill, I didn't even think about Glad! Great idea! Guess
my brain was stuck in the paper vs. plastic (like solo or ?) Glad is
on sale at the closest Freddies (PNW thing).
Thanks Jill!
post #4 of 5

On Fri 15 Apr 2005 03:03:32p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Sue D. wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Looking for a disposable bowl for heating foods in the microwave, ie:
>> plastic or paper. Any idea which kind would be the most user
>> friendly? These are going to be sent to a soldier who requested
>> these...apparently they have microwaves, but limited means to wash or
>> store dishes. Am sending stuff like easymac, tuna, canned chicken,
>> soups, raviolis, candy, crystal light, gatorade, chips, etc. Oh yeah
>> and plastic utensils.
>> Quite an interesting website...if you haven't seen it, you can go to
>>
>> http://www.anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/
>>
>> No I don't have anyone over there, but feel the least we can do is
>> give them a little support.
>>
>> What kinda stinks is some of them ask for homemade cookies and that is
>> a no-no...oh well.
>>
>> If anyone has any input on the bowls I would appreciate hearing from
>> you. Thanks,
>> Sue D.

> Doesn't Glad make disposable plastic bowls that are microwave safe?
> Can't think of the name of them off the top of my head; I'm sure someone
> here will know.
>
> And Sue, *kudos* to you for doing something nice for our troops!
>
> Jill

Yep, Glad makes "Glad Ware" and Rubbermaid also makes a similar product.
Both are considered limited number of uses and disposable. Both work well
in the microwave and have tightly sealing lids. I often use them at the
office just to avoid washing up or taking something back home.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
post #5 of 5

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>If anyone has any input on the bowls I would appreciate hearing from
>you.

Good on you, Sue.

Have you considered the bowls/containers that are used by restaurants (like the ones
you get soup in from the Chinese Carry out)?

I buy them by the case for my restaurant and they are very durable and cheap. Pennies
each. Certainly a lot less than Rubbermaid, and I think much sturdier.

They could also be used for storing small items, as they are water tight.

The largest I have are eight ounces, which is kind of small, but I'll gladly send you
a few dozen with lids. You can pack them with your own donated stuff, or put small
things in each one.

Contact me by e-mail at

beachbumbagels at mchsi dot com

and I'll get them to you.