Comfort / Hybrid Choices

Cigs

New Member
Aug 14, 2003
Hi all,

I posted this in the USA bit of these forums, but it looks like it might be worth while posting here also, so here goes :)

I am looking at getting a new bike very soon, narrowed it down to a choice of 3, wanted some opinions if you don't mind! I am not very techincal at all, and I dont know if some parts are good and some are bad. Right now I ride a MTB thats 12 years old!

Choice 1:
Mongoose - Crossway 850
49.14.INTLCrossway850.jpg

Frame Material 7005 alloy trekking frame
Fork Material Rockshox GPS Merto Mag
Headset 1 1/8" threaded, chrome
Shifters Alloy Adjustable stem
Bars Steel high rise 30mm men/50mm women
Rear Brake Shimano M-420 V-Brakes
Front Brake Shimano M-420 V-Brakes
Brake Levers Shimano ST-510 Deore
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore
Shifters Shimano ST-510 Deore Rapidfire+
Freewheel Shimano CS-HG50 9sp. cassette 11-32t
Crankset Suntour CR-410 HPC 48/38/28 wchainguard
Chain KMC Z-9000
Pedals Alloy body platform w/kraton rubber inserts
Tires Hutchinson Acrobat comfort 700 x 35
Rims Alex Adventurer double wall black w/CNC sidewalls
Hubs Shimano Deore 9 speed
Seat Post Alloy suspension
Saddle Selle Royal Look In Gel

Choice 2:
2003 Giant PERIGEE
perigee.jpg

Frame-FluidFormed 6061 ALUXX 700C Aluminium
Fork-Cro-Mo 1 1/8’
Headset-Ahead 1 1/8’ Semi Sealed
F.Derailleur-Shimano Tiagra
R. Derailleur-Shimano Tiagra 9 Speed
Crankset-Shimano Tiagra 30x42x52
Shifters-Shimano SL-R440 27 Speed
Cassette-SRAM 12-26T 9 Speed
Chain-Shimano Tiagra
B.Bracket-Sealed Cartridge
Hubs-Shimano Tiagra 32H
Rims-Mavic MA-3 Alloy 700C 32H w/Eyelet
Tyres-Michelin Transworld City 700 x 35
Brakes-Tektro TB07AL Alloy V-Brakes
B.Levers-Tektro TK394A
Pedals-Shimano M505 SPD Clipless
Stem-Titec Fast Al 10 degree
H.Bar-Titec Enduro XC 6061 D/Butted
Seat-Post-Post Modern Cushy Alloy Suspension 27.2
Saddle- Velo VL-2036 Ozone
Grips- Velo Kraton

Choice 3:
Shogun Metro-GS
metrogsjade.jpg

FRAME: Cr-Mo Main Tubing.
FORK: Hi-Ten Steerer.& Cr-Mo Blades
COLOURS: Jade
HANDLEBAR: MTB-153, Steel
HANDLEBAR GRIPS: VLG-185D2
STEM: Alloy Adjustable
HEAD PARTS: CS-568, 1-1/8"
BB SET: Cartridge
FRONT DERAIL: Shimano Alivio
REAR DERAIL: Shimano Alivio
SHIFTERS: Shimano Alivio 24 Speed
FREEWHEEL: Shimano Cassette
CHAINWHEEL: Shimano Alivio
CHAIN: KMC-Z51
PEDAL: Alloy Cage PP Body
TYRES: 700 x 38C Black
RIM: Araya Alloy, 700C
FRONT HUB: Alloy 36H with Rubber Caps with Q/R
REAR HUB: Alloy Cassette, 36H with Rubber Caps with Q/R
SPOKES: 14G Stainless Steel
SADDLE: Velo VL-289-D2 Double Density
SEAT POST: Alloy with Suspension
SEAT PIN: Alloy Clamp, Q/R Seat Pin
BRAKES: Tektro Alloy V-Brake
BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano Alivio

Ok, Now I am 6 foot tall and weigh around 95 Kilos. I ride around 50 - 100k's a week, mostly on road or track, but every 2nd weekend I go a little off road down small dirt tracks with tree roots sticking out, and a fair bit of gravel tracks.

I am happy to spend around AUD $1,000 - $1,300 on a new bike

Any help on the Pro's and Con's of these 3 bikes would be most welcome, and if you know any other bikes that match up to these 3 that I should consider that would be great!

Scott (Cigs)

"Cigs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ok, Now I am 6 foot tall and weigh around 95 Kilos. I ride around 50 - 100k's a week, mostly on
> road or track, but every 2nd weekend I go a little off road down small dirt tracks with tree roots
> sticking out,
and
> a fair bit of gravel tracks.

Personally I wouldn't touch a comfort bike or hybrid with a 670mm downhill bar! so my advice would
be to have a look at some mtb's in your price range. Why does it need to be a comfort bike anyway?
If you are riding down some tracks with ob-stack-les as opposed to the nice, sanitised council bike
paths then you are probably better off with an mtb. Hybrids are too high and their wheels are too
skinny (don't get me wrong, I ride plenty of road bikes too). MTB's are a very popular market
segment too so perhaps you would get a better deal on one than a hybrid? Wait and see if someone
with a bit more knowledge has a suggestion though.

Check out something like the $700 Giant Yukon that Tim mentioned in the "New bike?" thread.

hth hippy

Scott, I and most of my riding friends have hybrids and we all really enjoy them. We do touring type
rides and so are in the saddle for long periods. We also use them for the type of riding you
describe and they really are a good all purpose bike. The comment about hybrids only being suitable
for short rides doesn't make any sense - the idea is that because of the upright position you can
ride for longer periods and be more comfortable. I also like to see what I am riding past and speed
is not critical to me. I can ride fully loaded around 20-25 km/hr and that is fast enough for my
needs. I don't have a Giant, but I think they are a good bike and I would recommend them especially
in that price range. I don't know the 'Perigee' but several of my friends, including my wife have
the Giant 'Innova' which is in your price range and uses mountain bike components, whereas the
'Perigee' uses road bike components as I understand it. Having said that, I think you should buy the
bike that you are most comfortable on, even if that means going back to a mountian bike. Carl "Cigs"
> [...]
> Body TYRES: 700 x 38C Black RIM: Araya Alloy, 700C FRONT HUB: Alloy 36H with Rubber Caps with Q/R
> REAR HUB: Alloy Cassette, 36H with Rubber Caps with
> Q/R SPOKES: 14G Stainless Steel SADDLE: Velo VL-289-D2 Double Density SEAT POST: Alloy with
> Suspension SEAT PIN: Alloy Clamp, Q/R Seat Pin BRAKES: Tektro Alloy V-Brake BRAKE LEVERS:
> Shimano Alivio
>

> Ok, Now I am 6 foot tall and weigh around 95 Kilos. I ride around 50 - 100k's a week, mostly on
> road or track, but every 2nd weekend I go a little off road down small dirt tracks with tree roots
> sticking out, and a fair bit of gravel tracks.
>
> I am happy to spend around AUD $1,000 - $1,300 on a new bike
>
> Any help on the Pro's and Con's of these 3 bikes would be most welcome, and if you know any other
> bikes that match up to these 3 that I should consider that would be great!

Cigs I'm 6' 3" and ride a Shogun Metro LX I bought at the end of last year for $1200 (list was
$1400). I like it because the upright position takes the weight off my arms. I got the biggest size
because although its less manoeuvrable than my MTB, I don't look like a spider on a monobike any
more! Best of all is it has Shimano LX componentry allround plus an XT rear derailleur. I ride 20kms
per day and really appreciate the quality of the components.

> [...]
> Body TYRES: 700 x 38C Black RIM: Araya Alloy, 700C FRONT HUB: Alloy 36H with Rubber Caps with Q/R
> REAR HUB: Alloy Cassette, 36H with Rubber Caps with
> Q/R SPOKES: 14G Stainless Steel SADDLE: Velo VL-289-D2 Double Density SEAT POST: Alloy with
> Suspension SEAT PIN: Alloy Clamp, Q/R Seat Pin BRAKES: Tektro Alloy V-Brake BRAKE LEVERS:
> Shimano Alivio
>

> Ok, Now I am 6 foot tall and weigh around 95 Kilos. I ride around 50 - 100k's a week, mostly on
> road or track, but every 2nd weekend I go a little off road down small dirt tracks with tree roots
> sticking out, and a fair bit of gravel tracks.
>
> I am happy to spend around AUD $1,000 - $1,300 on a new bike
>
> Any help on the Pro's and Con's of these 3 bikes would be most welcome, and if you know any other
> bikes that match up to these 3 that I should consider that would be great!

1. I've never used any of these three bikes, so sadly, I cannot give a direct comment. However, in short terms and based on the component list, I would rate these bikes in the following order if I was to purchase one for myself: 1. Giant, 2. Mongoose and 3. Shogun. Giant seems to have a better grade of components. Mongoose misses out for not having unthreaded (integrated) headset (you'd appreciate it once you try it). The Shogun has Cro-Mo frame which means nicer ride but generally heavier weight. Besides, it has mostly Alivio components which is inferior to Deore. Tiagra is a better grade than Deore and belongs to the road bike family. Giant has better rims (Mavic), and I wouldn't recommend Araya rims that come on Shogun. I presume that Giant would be the most expensive bike out of the three.

2. I have ridden an Avanti Pioneer for three years now. It was my main commuting bike till recently. Now it's been kind of retired, and I use it for my rainy days. I have been 100% happy with this bike in terms of reliability and performance. I had to upgrade only three things: needed to rebuild a new rear wheel using a Mavic rim and DT spokes since the stock wheel was not sturdy enough for my weight, needed to put on my own saddle (saddle choice is personal and a very important factor in ride quality), and finally I put on narrower tyres (700X28) to reduce drag and rolling resistance. Recently, I had to overhaul the bike after 6500 km, and it only needed a new cassette, a new chain and new rear brake shoes. It cost me $105 to replace these parts. Amazingly, the BB and chainrings are still in good order. I have upgraded other parts on this bike, but not because they were not good. I did it to increase the performance.

Now that I use a road bike for commuting, I appreciate how heavy and sluggish a hybrid can be. On the other hand, the comfort that it offers over long rides is far superior to the road bike. I'd suggest that you took a look at the Avanti range. I happily recommend this brand. They also have a new line of bikes (Avanti Blade) which is between road and hybrid. The Avanti Blade Comp is the top of this range and costs about $1350.

Originally posted by Cigs
[...]

One more thing. I am basically as heavy as you. So keep an eye to the quality of the wheels.

If your off-road rides are mostly on flat terrain and do not demand high grip, a hybrid tyre even as narrow as 28mm will be enough. Otherwise, this can be a problem.

Ok, Now I am 6 foot tall and weigh around 95 Kilos. I ride around 50 - 100k's a week, mostly on road or track, but every 2nd weekend I go a little off road down small dirt tracks with tree roots sticking out, and a fair bit of gravel tracks.

I am happy to spend around AUD $1,000 - $1,300 on a new bike

Any help on the Pro's and Con's of these 3 bikes would be most welcome, and if you know any other bikes that match up to these 3 that I should consider that would be great!

Scott (Cigs) [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies people :)

It looks like the Perigee will be a little to much money, and its got a waiting list so the bike shop in Doncaster says.

Seeing as I am looking to get one tommorow, I will toss up between the Mongoose and the Shogun.

With the shogun, I am not sure if I posted the correct model I saw at a shop last week. I will have to double check that and make sure that the bits and peices on it are up to scratch with Deore gear rather than Alivio.

My Dad has a Trailbreaker 3 Shogun and he loves it, but I like the look of the Mongoose, and if its got better equipment on it, then that may be the way to go.

Thanks once again!

Claude - You will be happy to know I am going to buy the exact same bike tommorow morning :)

Shogun Metro LX :)

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Cigs - check out Melbourne Bicycled Centre as they do a good price. I would've bought my LX from
them but at the time (November last year) they didn't have the larger size. I used their price to
bargain my LBS down (actually looking now at my Quicken records I see that I only paid $1149).

"Cigs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Claude - You will be happy to know I am going to buy the exact same bike tommorow morning :)
>
> Shogun Metro LX :)
>
> Thanks everyone for the advice!

Claude, I contacted them, they have one in the large size just waiting for me.... $999. Save $400. So that sounds decent to me :)

Frame:Light Alloy Frame.
Fork: Manitou LUXE COMP 50mm travel
Brakes:Shimano Deore LX Brakes with LX levers.
Drivetrain: Shimano Deore LX front & Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur; 27 speed Shimano Deore LX shifters, Shimano cranks.
Wheels:Sun Rhyno Lite Alloy rims & Alloy hubs with quick release.
Freewheel:Shimano 9 speed 11- 32T
Extras: Alloy suspension seat post; non slip pedals; Velco comfort seat & stainless steel spokes.

Its actually a good looking bike to, quite happy now I have made up my mind :)

Anyway, if all goes well, I will be taking it on the Yarra yarra trail tommorow starting at Donvale, turning around after 20 k's, then back again. Looking foward to it..
Well I am also looking foward to getting back with some friends, a few bottles o' red, some scotch and the Pies vs the Swans :D

GO PIES!

Cigs Did you end up buying the Shogun?

"Cigs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Claude, I contacted them, they have one in the large size just waiting for me.... $999. Save $400.
> So that sounds decent to me :)
>
> Frame:Light Alloy Frame. Fork: Manitou LUXE COMP 50mm travel Brakes:Shimano Deore LX Brakes with
> LX levers. Drivetrain: Shimano Deore LX front & Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur; 27 speed Shimano
> Deore LX shifters, Shimano cranks. Wheels:Sun Rhyno Lite Alloy rims & Alloy hubs with quick
> release. Freewheel:Shimano 9 speed 11- 32T Extras: Alloy suspension seat post; non slip pedals;
> Velco comfort seat & stainless steel spokes.
>
> Its actually a good looking bike to, quite happy now I have made up my mind :)
>
> Anyway, if all goes well, I will be taking it on the Yarra yarra trail tommorow starting at
> Donvale, turning around after 20 k's, then back again. Looking foward to it.. Well I am also
> looking foward to getting back with some friends, a few bottles o' red, some scotch and the Pies
> vs the Swans :D
>
> GO PIES!

Claude,

Yep I got it!

Went for the ride on Saturday - got bloody wet! Loved it :)
Then of course, the Pies won the footy so I was really happy.

Looking foward to going for a quick ride after work tonight if the weather is ok.

Thx once again for your help!