Koga-Miyata Terraliner frame

Dan Daniel

Guest
A local bike shop has had an older Koga-Miyata 'Terraliner' frame in
its window for two or more years now. It's steel ("Splined/FM-1
tubing"?), simple straight tubes and lugs with no ovalized shapes,
basic red and black color scheme. Looks nothing like the frame for this
year's K-M Terraliner. Canti brake bosses, all the little eyelets,
spoke holder, etc. The only strange thing is the internal routing of
the rear brake line, but I guess this typical for this era K-M bike
(it's on a co-worker's 'World Traveller' frame of similar style).

The frame looks clean, never built up. They're asking $400 US.

The frame would be to replace a Bridgestone XO-5 frame I found on the
street. I use the bike for road and light/medium off-road trips with
light camping set-ups and birding optics/photo gear- 20- 40 pound loads
most likely.

Anybody have experience with this frame? Opinions on the price?

Thanks- Dan

"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>A local bike shop has had an older Koga-Miyata 'Terraliner' frame in
> its window for two or more years now. It's steel ("Splined/FM-1
> tubing"?), simple straight tubes and lugs with no ovalized shapes,
> basic red and black color scheme. Looks nothing like the frame for this
> year's K-M Terraliner. Canti brake bosses, all the little eyelets,
> spoke holder, etc. The only strange thing is the internal routing of
> the rear brake line, but I guess this typical for this era K-M bike
> (it's on a co-worker's 'World Traveller' frame of similar style).
>
> The frame looks clean, never built up. They're asking $400 US.

It sounds like one of the frames that Miyata made as warrently replacements,
then sold as excess thru a US based Koga Miyata dealer (since out of
business), either direct mail order, or thru assorted shops. They sold off
all sorts of tourers, road bikes and a mountain frame.

I have a similar frame, fill blown touring frame, the difference I recall
was the Terra Liner had a different fork crown, my City Liner has a
Uni-Crown fork.

These are very nice frames, though some models had odd geometry, so best
check the measurements

FWIW, I paid $275 at American Cyclery in SF. It was a similar price as
offered on the Miyata website, so $400 might be a bit high.

SB

"Steve B." <[email protected]> wrote in message

> FWIW, I paid $275 at American Cyclery in SF. It was a similar price as
> offered on the Miyata website, so $400 might be a bit high.

P.S. this was in '98

SB