or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to find high quality steel chainrings....

post #1 of 4
dymetryszyn_julien@hotmail.com (Julien) wrote in message
> I'm dissatisfied with the durability of aluminium alloy chainrings and would like to replace my
> ultegra triple chainrings with high quality (CNC machined, not stamped) steel chainrings. My issue
> is long-wear or durability, not weight....

No doubt. I suspect nicely machined steel chainrings would outlast the cockroaches *and*
Keith Richards.

You might want to check with http://www.chainrings.com . They list some Vuelta "nickel" chainrings,
which I suspect are nickel-plated aluminum. They appear to be affiliated with
http://www.chainwheels.com/ aka http://www.warhawkindustries.com - who describe custom chainrings up
to 125 teeth. Maybe they're willing to turn out some custom steel rings for you.

Jeff
post #2 of 4

Re: Where to find high quality steel chainrings....

"Jeff Wills" <jwills@pacifier.com> wrote in message

> No doubt. I suspect nicely machined steel chainrings
would outlast
> the cockroaches *and* Keith Richards.

I miss Onza Buzzsaws, which were the longest lasting chainrings I ever had -- stainless steel.

Steel rings needn't be heavy. Steel is stiffer, so a lot of material can be shaved away. The
Buzzsaws weren't particularly sleek, but they still weren't particularly heavy -- maybe a couple of
ounces for a set of three.

Matt O.
post #3 of 4

"Julien" <dymetryszyn_julien@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm dissatisfied with the durability of aluminium alloy chainrings and would like to replace my
> ultegra triple chainrings with high quality (CNC machined, not stamped) steel chainrings. My issue
> is long-wear or durability, not weight....

How about 4x durability and less weight at the same time? Ready to spend some money? Try titanium
chainrings:

http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/

Their website only lists granny rings; but I think they make any size chainrings that you need. If
they're using a CNC lathe, it's probably no big deal to tool up for a set of 3 chainrings.

I also checked Bruce Boone's website; but it looks like he's just doing titanium jewelry these days:

http://boonerings.com/about.htm

He makes the most beautiful chainrings in existence. We're talking works of art. I'll bet he could
whip you up a set of beautiful and bombproof Ti chainrings as a custom order.

Either way, you'll get what you're looking for, with little or no weight penalty (except your wallet
will be quite a bit lighter :-)

-Barry
post #4 of 4

"B. Sanders" <barry@bsanders.net> wrote in message news:6TLra.673737$3D1.375066@sccrnsc01...

> How about 4x durability and less weight at the same time?
Ready to spend
> some money? Try titanium chainrings:

I've had Ti rings (Action Tec). While they seem to last longer than most aluminum ones, they don't
last *that* long. The longest lasting rings I've had were stainless steel, or SR Platinum rings
which are thicker than usual, and hard anodized. (Neither is made anymore.) One of the big problems
with newer Shimano chainrings is that the teeth are way too thin. This includes the steel rings from
some mountain bike groups. They get bent, flattened, etc., which wears them out quickly. The
Buzzsaws' and Platinums' durability was due as much to design as material.

Note that I'd never pay $100 for a Ti chainring. I got mine very, very cheap.

Matt O.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment