Tire wear on trikes

[email protected] must be edykated coz e writed:

> Trike front tires obviously wear out quite fast. How many kilos can one expect out of them?
Depends what you are doing on them, on my Kett Wiesel I get about 2000 miles from the non drive side
and the front tyre and about 1500 miles from the drive tyre. I ride a mixture of pavement and dirt.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

: Depends what you are doing on them, on my Kett Wiesel I get about 2000 miles from the non drive
: side and the front tyre and about 1500 miles from the drive tyre. I ride a mixture of pavement
: and dirt.

But it's not a tadpole :eek:) Dunno if that's different though, I hear the problem is that trikes don't
usually lean, so the tire wears more in one place or something... Which tires do you use? I'd guess
Stelvios would wear out quite a bit faster.

Maybe there is some kind of skidding on the tire in turns. Could depend on toe-in, so I guess I
should adjust mine pretty soon...

I've got over 2,500 miles on Primo Comet Kevlars (1.50) on my WizWheelz and while the center of the
tires have obvious wear, no part of the carcass is yet visible.

Risto,

The mileage varies depending on the type of tires, geometric condition of the steering, and the type
of riding. The biggest fallacy I have heard is that there is one tire can satisfy all types of
riding. Many say that the Tioga Comp Pools are one of the best all-around tires. They are hearty,
wide, have low rolling resistance. However, they weigh a ton. Stelevos are the best for high
performance riding. 1.35" Comets are good for light sport/commuting. 1.5" Comets are good commuting
tires. Comp pools are good for touring/commuting.

R. Horwitz http://www.hellbentcycles.com

news:[email protected]...

Hellbent Rick wrote:

> Risto,
>
> The mileage varies depending on the type of tires, geometric condition of the steering, and the
> type of riding. The biggest fallacy I have heard is that there is one tire can satisfy all types
> of riding. Many say that the Tioga Comp Pools are one of the best all-around tires. They are
> hearty, wide, have low rolling resistance. However, they weigh a ton. Stelevos are the best for
> high performance riding. 1.35" Comets are good for light sport/commuting. 1.5" Comets are good
> commuting tires. Comp pools are good for touring/commuting.

Maxxis Hookworms are heavy and slow, but great for running over stuff.

[email protected] must be edykated coz e writed:

> Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Depends what you are doing on them, on my Kett Wiesel I get about 2000 miles from the non drive
> : side and the front tyre and about 1500 miles from the drive tyre. I ride a mixture of pavement
> : and dirt.
>
> But it's not a tadpole :eek:) Dunno if that's different though, I hear the problem is that trikes
> don't usually lean, so the tire wears more in one place or something... Which tires do you use?
> I'd guess Stelvios would wear out quite a bit faster.
>
> Maybe there is some kind of skidding on the tire in turns. Could depend on toe-in, so I guess I
> should adjust mine pretty soon...

Because of the dirt use I have stayed with Continental Touring 2000.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

[email protected] wrote:
> Trike front tires obviously wear out quite fast. How many kilos can one expect out of them?

Anything from about fifty upwards ;-) I have seen a pair of Wolber-Moulton 32-369s completely
trashed in the course of one race meeting on the front wheels of a Windcheetah.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

In agreement with other posters:

After 80 miles of my riding and some unknown amount of test-riding (by others)with a 1/4" of
toe-in, I flipped the front tires around (keeping them on the same side). After another 75 miles,
the tread wear is almost even. Not much experience yet but I would say front tire wear is a real
drawback for trikes.

IMO trikes will be much better when specific trike tires are made available with flat treads. Dave
catrike speed

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Trike front tires obviously wear out quite fast. How many kilos can one expect out of them?

I've got 4000 miles on my Tioga Comp Pools. They're on a Greenspeed that's ridden mostly on
rails-to-trails paths (dirt). There are lots of nicks and cuts but the wear dimples look good. I'll
probably replace them this winter.

>IMO trikes will be much better when specific trike tires are made available with flat treads.

Vredestein is working on them (after being pestered for a few years by some velomobile builders).

Mark van Gorkom <[email protected]> wrote:

>>IMO trikes will be much better when specific trike tires are made available with flat treads.
>
> Vredestein is working on them (after being pestered for a few years by some velomobile builders).

Funny thing is, when I was a kid, there were 20" flat-tread slicks available for the Schwinn
Sting-Rays that were all the rage back then. They were only suitable for the rear wheel. I think
Goodyear made them.

Of course, back then, tadpole trikes were either completely non-existent or very close to it.
--
Russ [email protected] the wabbit to despam "If this were a
dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -George W. Bush

[email protected] (BikerTriker) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In agreement with other posters:
>
> After 80 miles of my riding and some unknown amount of test-riding (by others)with a 1/4" of
> toe-in, I flipped the front tires around (keeping them on the same side). After another 75 miles,
> the tread wear is almost even. Not much experience yet but I would say front tire wear is a real
> drawback for trikes.
>
> IMO trikes will be much better when specific trike tires are made available with flat treads. Dave
> catrike speed
>
> [email protected] wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Trike front tires obviously wear out quite fast. How many kilos can one expect out of them?

You need to check your alignment! I put 1,000 miles on a TT with no significant wear patterns (no
flipping).

[email protected] (Chris Campanelli) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I've got 4000 miles on my Tioga Comp Pools. They're on a Greenspeed that's ridden mostly on
> rails-to-trails paths (dirt). There are lots of nicks and cuts but the wear dimples look good.
> I'll probably replace them this winter.

Pointless to compare tire life results when a slight mis-alignment can wear out a tire in a couple
hundred miles. I've seen guys post where they've ridden a trike for a year without ever checking the
alignment............................ I couldn't believe how sensitive my TT 3.3 was to being just a
little bit off. I always knew when it was getting off because it wouldn't ALWAYS be trying to run
away from me! (ROLLING on invisible grades) Very noticable mph difference when it's SPOT on. (and
tire life)

I have about 4000 miles on the Tioga Comp Pools on my Greenspeed GTO. I have bought the replacements
and will mount them this winter. That said, I am a slow poke that mainly crawls up mountains.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

MLB <[email protected]> wrote:

: Pointless to compare tire life results when a slight mis-alignment can wear out a tire in a couple
: hundred miles. I've seen guys post where they've ridden a trike for a year without ever checking
: the alignment............................ I couldn't believe how sensitive my TT 3.3 was to being
: just a little bit off. I always knew when it was getting off because it wouldn't ALWAYS be trying
: to run away from me! (ROLLING on invisible grades) Very noticable mph difference when it's SPOT
: on. (and tire life)

Any other way to tell your toe-in is badly/well done? Except just trying to look :)

How much toe-in do you think a tadpole should have? 0 degrees? 1?

Hmm we'd need lots of FAQs for bents... would make it easier for the new folks... really...

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

> MLB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>: Pointless to compare tire life results when a slight mis-alignment can wear out a tire in a
>: couple hundred miles. I've seen guys post where they've ridden a trike for a year without ever
>: checking the alignment............................ I couldn't believe how sensitive my TT 3.3 was
>: to being just a little bit off. I always knew when it was getting off because it wouldn't ALWAYS
>: be trying to run away from me! (ROLLING on invisible grades) Very noticable mph difference when
>: it's SPOT on. (and tire life)
>
> Any other way to tell your toe-in is badly/well done? Except just trying to look :)
>
> How much toe-in do you think a tadpole should have? 0 degrees? 1?
>
> Hmm we'd need lots of FAQs for bents... would make it easier for the new folks... really...

The only way to be sure is to take measurements as per your trike instructions. I cut an old wooden
yardstick to fit between my trikes wheels when the distance is exact. Then all I have to do is
measure from one wheel to the frame to check that distance, if it is correct and the stick fits
between the wheels with no excess, then I know it is on. Takes about a minute after you've done it a
few times.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:29:03 GMT, [email protected] (Mark van Gorkom) wrote:

>>IMO trikes will be much better when specific trike tires are made available with flat treads.
>
>Vredestein is working on them (after being pestered for a few years by some velomobile builders).

I've heard some people say that radial tires would be a big improvement. Is this true? And will the
Vredestein velomobile tire be radial?

Ken Kobayashi wrote:

>>some velomobile builders).
>
>I've heard some people say that radial tires would be a big improvement. Is this true? And will the
>Vredestein velomobile tire be radial?

I've been told it probably would be.

Mark van Gorkom

[email protected] (Mark van Gorkom) wrote in news:3f47dedd.3137334 @newszilla.xs4all.nl:

> Ken Kobayashi wrote:
>
>>>some velomobile builders).
>>
>>I've heard some people say that radial tires would be a big improvement. Is this true? And will
>>the Vredestein velomobile tire be radial?
>>
> I've been told it probably would be.
>
> Mark van Gorkom

I've been told that it's patently silly to think that bicycle tires with their 100lb load (each)
are in any way similar to a auto tire supporting 1000lbs each and going 3 times as fast. Why
would a radial construction matter in the least? TREAD doesn't even matter at the loads and
speeds of biking.