Pedal stuck, any suggestions?

Bob

Guest
Finally got round to getting some SPDs for my cheapish mountain bike. Left hand pedal removed and
replaced without a problem but the right (drive) side will not budge. I am loosening anti clockwise.
I have broken one pedal spanner and an 'ordinary' 15mm spanner. Attempts with an adjustable wrench
have now rounded the nuts off. The next best thing that I can think of is too file two sides of the
nut flut again and try with a smaller spanner. I have a feeling that this will not work and I'll
have more rounded edges again. Think it must have been cross threaded when installed.

Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions to get the damn pedal off?

Thanks.

Bob.

Bob must be edykated coz e writed:

> Finally got round to getting some SPDs for my cheapish mountain bike. Left hand pedal removed and
> replaced without a problem but the right (drive) side will not budge. I am loosening anti
> clockwise. I have broken one pedal spanner and an 'ordinary' 15mm spanner. Attempts with an
> adjustable wrench have now rounded the nuts off. The next best thing that I can think of is too
> file two sides of the nut flut again and try with a smaller spanner. I have a feeling that this
> will not work and I'll have more rounded edges again. Think it must have been cross threaded when
> installed.
>
> Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions to get the damn pedal off?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob.

Heat, the odds are it it caused by dissimilar metals in the BB and crank, whack some heat onto it
before you try again, try not to set fire to yourself.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Ian <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB6AD6DA.D985%[email protected]:

> Bob must be edykated coz e writed:
>
>> Finally got round to getting some SPDs for my cheapish mountain bike. Left hand pedal removed and
>> replaced without a problem but the right (drive) side will not budge. <snip> HELP </snip> Thanks.
>>
>> Bob.
>>

> Heat, the odds are it is caused by dissimilar metals in the BB and <snip>advise</snip> Ian

Aye, heat did it for my stuck pedal.

I placed my peddle over a bucket and poured a full kettle of boiling water slowly over the
peddle/crank, it then unscrewed with only a minimum of force.

As you have rounded off the nut I am not quite sure what your next step should be, but if you can
file it to take a smaller spanner that should work.

I was surprised how well heat worked, I was thinking mine was welded together for life!

assuming you are a "different bob" (name that song) to "call me bob" maybe you could borrow his
DeWalt impact wrench ;)

Fragg

Assuming that the old pedal is scrap you could disassemble it in situ - leaving just the spindle
attatched to the crank. You would then have enough room to clamp the spindle in a vice or use a pipe
wrench on it. Soak it over night in some penetrating oil (put it in a plastic bag and in a warm
place) and give it a good warm up before trying to free it.

In news:[email protected], Bob <[email protected]> typed:
> Finally got round to getting some SPDs for my cheapish mountain bike. Left hand pedal removed and
> replaced without a problem but the right (drive) side will not budge. I am loosening anti
> clockwise. I have broken one pedal spanner and an 'ordinary' 15mm spanner. Attempts with an
> adjustable wrench have now rounded the nuts off. The next best thing that I can think of is too
> file two sides of the nut flut again and try with a smaller spanner. I have a feeling that this
> will not work and I'll have more rounded edges again. Think it must have been cross threaded when
> installed.
>
> Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions to get the damn pedal off?
>
> Thanks.

Try some gentle heat until it sizzles if you drip some water on it and then try again. That usually
works for me in the bad cases. If you have really wrecked the threads it can work to disassemble
pedal leaving just the axle and then clamp the axle in a vice.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:03:19 +0000 (UTC), "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions to get the damn pedal off?

Don't take the pedal off the bike, take the bike off the pedal.

Pedal in a vice. Rotate bike. Sometimes some dismantling (pull the BB / demolish the pedal) makes it
easier to handle.

You could go to a local light engineers.

I used one here when I just couldn't get a (buggered) crank off. He charged me £15 for what I had
spent hours and hours and hours failing to
do.

Jon

If its that 'cheap' a mountain bike don't beat your brains out, put the pedal onto a replacement
chainset. Ask around local bikies, they usually have one they will let you have if not for nothing
for a few quid.