Info on Bike Friday

Snake

Guest
anyone have any thoughts on Bike Friday folding bikes. Specifically, the Air Friday (titanium beam)
model vs. the Pocket Rocket. Thanks Mark Atwell remove the dashes : [email protected]

Hey Mark,

I used to build frames at Bike Friday. I also did everything else in the production line, so I know a bit about them. How do you intend to use the bike? Are you going to do much actual plane travel with it? My opinion is that both of the bikes that you mentioned are decent. The Air Friday, of which I did most of the prototyping, rides well, and due to the Ti beam is quite comfortable. If you don't have a smooth pedal stroke, you are going to bounce a bit, but it's not bad. The Pocket Rocket is a better design for travel, and much easier to pack in the case. It rides fine. The craftsmanship can be spotty, with varying degrees of weld/braze quality depending on who is in the line that day. I am a bit out of the loop these days, and the craftsmanship may be superb at this point. It was always line speed over aesthetic quality in the past, but who knows. They have a money back guarantee, so what do you have to lose? Good luck!

Originally posted by Snake
anyone have any thoughts on Bike Friday folding bikes. Specifically, the Air Friday (titanium beam)
model vs. the Pocket Rocket. Thanks Mark Atwell remove the dashes : [email protected]

Originally posted by mackpappy
[...]

Originally posted by Doug Young
In rides with other BFs, I find my Air Friday with HED wheels outrolls everything else, be they pocket rockets or conventional uprights. I have had my AF since "97 and love the thing. I have taken it on some long (600km) rides and it has been fine.

Thanks guys. I am an airline pilot and will carry the bike alot. Having a faster bike than the
typical rental will allow me to contact bike clubs and ride with them on layovers. Why is the Pkt
Rocket easier to pack than the Air Friday?

Snake remove the dashes : [email protected]

"mackpappy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Snake wrote:
> > anyone have any thoughts on Bike Friday folding bikes. Specifically,
the
> > Air Friday (titanium beam) model vs. the Pocket Rocket. Thanks Mark Atwell remove the dashes :
> > [email protected]
>
> Hey Mark,
>
> I used to build frames at Bike Friday. I also did everything else in the production line, so I
> know a bit about them. How do you intend to use the bike? Are you going to do much actual plane
> travel with it? My opinion is that both of the bikes that you mentioned are decent. The Air
> Friday, of which I did most of the prototyping, rides well, and due to the Ti beam is quite
> comfortable. If you don't have a smooth pedal stroke, you are going to bounce a bit, but it's not
> bad. The Pocket Rocket is a better design for travel, and much easier to pack in the case. It
> rides fine. The craftsmanship can be spotty, with varying degrees of weld/braze quality depending
> on who is in the line that day. I am a bit out of the loop these days, and the craftsmanship may
> be superb at this point. It was always line speed over aesthetic quality in the past, but who
> knows. They have a money back guarantee, so what do you have to lose? Good luck!

I have an air llama and love it. It's heavier than the road models, but it gives me flexibility.
I've ridden it off road in Norway and Spain, and on pavement those places plus up Mt. Ventoux the
day of stage 14 of the 2002 TdF. Plus of course various places in the U.S.

Rocky

news:[email protected]...