or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adult tricycle

post #1 of 25
Hi friends,
I live in Tameside near manchester, and I'm looking for a reasonably priced
adult tricycle (medical problems stop me from riding bicycles) either new or
second hand - can any kind soul suggest anything please?

All the best,
Kazzy
post #2 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

Kazzy wrote:

> Hi friends,
> I live in Tameside near manchester, and I'm looking for a reasonably priced
> adult tricycle (medical problems stop me from riding bicycles) either new or
> second hand - can any kind soul suggest anything please?

http://www.cobr.co.uk/acatalog/Trikes.html

George Longstaff was the acknowledged expert on "barrows". He died last
year but Longstaffs the company are still going. A new custom one would
probably fall outside your definition of "reasonably priced", but these
s/h ones look fine.
post #3 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

Kazzy wrote:

> Hi friends,
> I live in Tameside near manchester, and I'm looking for a reasonably priced
> adult tricycle (medical problems stop me from riding bicycles) either new or
> second hand - can any kind soul suggest anything please?

http://www.anthrotech.de/Info_e/index_e.html

Cheap (relatively) and cheerful.
post #4 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

Cheaper and possibally better is the trice T at 1500 quid, but i suspect
that's a bit pricy!

See http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trikes_t.htm

Or try the for sale ads in http://www.velovision.co.uk/

Or try contacting http://www.tricycle-association.org.uk/

Good luck

> http://www.anthrotech.de/Info_e/index_e.html
>
> Cheap (relatively) and cheerful.
post #5 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

John Hearns <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:09:07 +0000, Kazzy wrote:
>
> > Hi friends,
> > I live in Tameside near manchester, and I'm looking for a reasonably priced
> > adult tricycle (medical problems stop me from riding bicycles)

> This might be some use to you:
> http://www.londonrecumbents.co.uk/index.php?id=106
>
> You might be VAT exempt - you can only ask, and that might
> make the difference in getting a decent model.

I have looked into this for customers and VAT exemption is apparently
only given if the trike (or whatever) is built specially for a disabled
person or adapted specially for a disabled person's use.

Seems a tad unfair, but then we *are* talking about the taxman....

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

Re: Adult tricycle

John Hearns <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:37:47 +0100, Carol Hague wrote:
>

> > I have looked into this for customers and VAT exemption is apparently
> > only given if the trike (or whatever) is built specially for a disabled
> > person or adapted specially for a disabled person's use.
> >
> > Seems a tad unfair, but then we *are* talking about the taxman....

> I don't think its that unfair.
> What would happen is that disabled people would buy trikes, and cars, etc.
> and just sell them on.

That's a very cynical view. It hadn't even occurred to me that that
would happen. I am obviously far too nice.

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"
post #7 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

John Hearns wrote:

> Same thing with Blue Badge permits - I've seen them on many flash
> cars, Mercedes and Rolls, parked in Soho/Fitzrovia in London.
> I doubt the driver is disabled. Either the driver is using a relative's
> badge, or has bought a stolen one.

How does the type of car identify whether or not the driver is disabled?
Are all disabled people poor Reliant Robin drivers? Are people only
disabled if they need specially adapted cars and cannot move without a
stick or wheelchair?

I think your prejudices are showing

Tony
post #8 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

John Hearns wrote:

> But please take my point - I used to work in Soho,
> and I regularly saw the same Rolls-Royce sitting in
> the street, complete with badge. I never saw a disabled person anywhere
> near it. I think a relative's badge was being used.

Do you know that or are you just assuming that because its a Rolls the
driver must be abusing the system rather than a genuine disabled person
parking near his office

Tony
post #9 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

John Hearns wrote:

> I despair.
> This particular car sat in the street near my place of work
> on most days. I never saw a disabled person getting in or out.
>
> As I have said, it is common to see high-value cars sporing
> blue badges in the inner city area of London.
> As far as I'm concerned, people are using their relatives badges
> or are buying them from thieves. Which I find cynical in the extreme.

I too despair.

You've not seen a disabled person getting in and out the Rolls. If you
saw how can you tell just by looking at them that they are disabled.
They don't all limp or walk with a stick you know.

Your sole reason for thinking they are abusing the system is the value
of their cars. Why can't a disabled person drive a high value sports
car or Rolls Royce? I've seen nothing that says you have any evidence
these cars are not being used by genuinely disabled people. Your only
evidence is they are "high value" and parked in London.

Tony
post #10 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

Tony Raven <junk@raven-family.com> wrote:
>Your sole reason for thinking they are abusing the system is the value
>of their cars. Why can't a disabled person drive a high value sports
>car or Rolls Royce? I've seen nothing that says you have any evidence
>these cars are not being used by genuinely disabled people. Your only
>evidence is they are "high value" and parked in London.

Obviously a single car proves nothing one way or the other, but
overall you would expect the proportion of disabled people who own
high value cars to be about the same as the proportion of the rest
of the population who own high value cars. Actually you might
expect it to be somewhat less as disabled people are often economically
disadvantaged[1]

Now if (and this is a big if) one observes that a high proportion
of cars owned by disabled people are luxury cars, then that might
indicate abuse of the badge system is going on, eg people selling
on[2] their badges one way or another.

However, after the endless H* debates I am sure all our regular
readers are aware of the problems with statistics in self-selecting
populations. Two relevant factors here:-

* Unless you do a thorough survey of all cars, you don't know for
sure what proportion of cars with disabled badges are luxury cars.
It is human nature to notice flash cars more than boring ones, so
you're more likely to notice a Mercedes with badge than a Fiat Panda.

* You would need to do your survey over a wide area - I would imagine
that people who drive to work in Soho daily are more affluent than average,
whether disabled or not.

Pete.

[1] eg http://www.jrf.org.uk/knowledge/find...policy/060.asp
"Despite these improvements, and real absolute income gains across
all severity categories, disabled people remain poor relative to
the general population (see Figure 2)"

[2] Insert trice thread tie-in here
post #11 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

Pete Bentley <pete@sorted.org> wrote:
>[2] Insert trice thread tie-in here

Gah, I should really read the Subject line form time to time...
post #12 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

Peter Clinch <p.j.clinch@dundee.ac.uk>typed

> Carol Hague wrote:

> > I have looked into this for customers and VAT exemption is apparently
> > only given if the trike (or whatever) is built specially for a disabled
> > person or adapted specially for a disabled person's use.

> Hase make disability specific modifications for the Kettwiesel trike, so
> I wonder if something can be wangled there. I guess you'd have to be
> registered disabled for starters.

I don't think you *have* to be registered disabled to get VAT exemption.
The chap who sold me a wheelchair (obviously familiar with procedures)
gave me a form, which I filled & signed. I suppose there can be little
dispute about a wheelchair.

Just as well you don't have to be registered disabled though. I asked my
local council to do this three months ago and they *still* haven't done
it. I have phoned them several times...

--
Helen D. Vecht: helenvecht@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

Re: Adult tricycle

Tony Raven <junk@raven-family.com>typed

> John Hearns wrote:
> >
> > But please take my point - I used to work in Soho,
> > and I regularly saw the same Rolls-Royce sitting in
> > the street, complete with badge. I never saw a disabled person anywhere
> > near it. I think a relative's badge was being used.
> >

> Do you know that or are you just assuming that because its a Rolls the
> driver must be abusing the system rather than a genuine disabled person
> parking near his office

John Hearns is a regular poster in the uk multiple sclerosis newsgroup.
I'm sure he knows all about disability. As a Londoner, I'm also sure he
knows of lots of scams.

--
Helen D. Vecht: helenvecht@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.
post #14 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

Tony Raven <junk@raven-family.com>typed

> I too despair.

> You've not seen a disabled person getting in and out the Rolls. If you
> saw how can you tell just by looking at them that they are disabled.
> They don't all limp or walk with a stick you know.

> Your sole reason for thinking they are abusing the system is the value
> of their cars. Why can't a disabled person drive a high value sports
> car or Rolls Royce? I've seen nothing that says you have any evidence
> these cars are not being used by genuinely disabled people. Your only
> evidence is they are "high value" and parked in London.

I'm afraid I'm sick of apparent abuse of disabled parking spaces by
people who appear to be young and fit.

I'm also fed up of having to ask for a seat in priority seats occupied
by fit-looking young people.

Disabled people's privileges are frequently abused; that's life. I can't
blame John for being cynical.

--
Helen D. Vecht: helenvecht@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.
post #15 of 25

Re: Adult tricycle

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm sick of apparent abuse of disabled parking spaces by
> people who appear to be young and fit.

There is a £1000 fine for abuse of the blue badge system so if you think
someone is abusing it regularly then report it. There is also the
counter side though that I know people with genuine disabilities that
are not obvious to an observer and that get fed up of being accosted for
misusing a disabled space.

> I'm also fed up of having to ask for a seat in priority seats occupied
> by fit-looking young people.

Used to be a time that wouldn't happen. Maybe I'm too old school but I
nearly always offer a seat. I have been verbally abused for offering
often enough to make we think twice as to whether I should risk it.

> Disabled people's privileges are frequently abused; that's life. I can't
> blame John for being cynical.

I don't blame him for talking about abuse of disabled people's
privileges - it does happen and it is an issue. I do blame him for his
assumption that its only the drivers of expensive cars that do it and
that drivers of expensive cars cannot have a valid reason for using such
a bay if he cannot see one.

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK and Europe